ADVERTISEMENT

OT: IMO a very bad trend is starting

Certainly
And if things don’t progress and he gets a better offer - he’ll take it, right?
We've talked about this. Honestly - what's a "better" offer? Sure - he probably could go out and get a better job even today - but I think his aim is a bit higher than that. Making a bunch of small "better" moves can be a career killer.

He's saving his money and biding his time. Sucking up the hard stuff and learning. I'm actually very proud of him.

We've talked about this. Honestly - what's a "better" offer? Sure - he probably could go out and get a better job even today - but I think his aim is a bit higher than that. Making a bunch of small "better" moves can be a career killer.

He's saving his money and biding his time. Sucking up the hard stuff and learning. I'm actually very proud of him.
Promotion
Raise
Better firm
More opportunity for growth

ya know- same thing most of us leave jobs for

there are no career killers-
Except fo having a toxic personality

College sports is a business. Good for the players for doing what’s best for them.
What's best for the players is that they honor the commitment they made to the school and football program when they accepted the scholarship offer from said school.

Promotion
Raise
Better firm
More opportunity for growth

ya know- same thing most of us leave jobs for

there are no career killers-
Except fo having a toxic personality
Perhaps "killer" was the wrong term but there most certainly are ways to stall a career including making the wrong moves. The grass is not always greener.

Which is true about sticking with a job you aren’t satisfied with
We can go in circles all day, but there are degrees of satisfaction. You're entry level who wants to be top dog? Of course you're not satisfied. But that doesn't mean you jump every time there is adversity.

I agree with this, 100%. These sports make tens of millions for the University, for which the players themselves get jack shit. You think they're there to sit in a History class? No. They're there to make the school money, and it's insane to let coaches walk and for schools to sell jerseys with their numbers on it while at the same time telling kids that they're soft for demanding even 25% of the same flexibility.
These students athletes get way more then "jack sh^t". Four years of a free college education, room and board, books and all associated academic fees paid for by the school.. How about the free athletic shoes and clothing provided to each student athlete by the school? Depending upon which school they are attending, the value of those items could be near a 1/2 a million dollars over a for year period for each student athlete. Hardly, "jack sh^t".

Souf - like with everything else, there is a middle ground here. Our youngest graduated from Pitt in 2018 and accepted an offer as a software engineer. He's low on the totem pole and the job is a total grind - physically and mentally, but he knows he needs the experience and life isn't perfect.

It's ridiculous to think you should move on every time things get difficult.

What’s ridiculous is acting like these are good old amateur athletes who are only playing the game they love to learn values like teamwork. College athletes absolutely have job descriptions, performance evaluations, etc.

What is also ridiculous is this notion that student athletes should tough it out no matter what. I currently work in a profoundly dysfunctional work environment. I don’t begrudge anyone on my team for getting the hell out. We don’t get bonuses for staying in a bad situation.

What’s ridiculous is acting like these are good old amateur athletes who are only playing the game they love to learn values like teamwork. College athletes absolutely have job descriptions, performance evaluations, etc.

What is also ridiculous is this notion that student athletes should tough it out no matter what. I currently work in a profoundly dysfunctional work environment. I don’t begrudge anyone on my team for getting the hell out. We don’t get bonuses for staying in a bad situation.
Not sure if you're directing that at me because I never said that. My comments are more about understanding there's a middle ground with everything. Nothing is perfect and sometimes making a move can be worse.

We can go in circles all day, but there are degrees of satisfaction. You're entry level who wants to be top dog? Of course you're not satisfied. But that doesn't mean you jump every time there is adversity.

Imagine a candidate with 4 different jobs in 5 years out of school. The first thing that would come to mind would be why hire someone when his teack record says he’s just gonna bail on us in a year or two. Not worth investing time and money into someone like that.

Imagine a candidate with 4 different jobs in 5 years out of school. The first thing that would come to mind would be why hire someone when his teack record says he’s just gonna bail on us in a year or two. Not worth investing time and money into someone like that.
Depends on the jobs
If they are career progression you think a fast riser scares off employers?

nobody works for 1 company doing 1 job for long anymore

This is absolutely true. Especially once you reach a certain age.

Depends on the jobs

For sure you’d find out in an interview, but on the surface it’s not the best look.

These students athletes get way more then "jack sh^t". Four years of a free college education, room and board, books and all associated academic fees paid for by the school.. How about the free athletic shoes and clothing provided to each student athlete by the school? Depending upon which school they are attending, the value of those items could be near a 1/2 a million dollars over a for year period for each student athlete. Hardly, "jack sh^t".

Dont forget medical care, above and beyond playing ball.

Kids get sick. Mononucleosis is common for example. So is the flu, common colds being around others. Kids that age sometimes need wisdom teeth removed at that age, or other medical procedures that pop up out of nowhere.

All of this is on the school's dime. Not the kid.

True. I wouldn't interview someone who had that resume. It's a sign of not being able to get along with others.

Depends on the jobs

That isn’t rising, that is jumping IMO. If the person is so great, why did they have to leave that many jobs in that short of a time? The type of person that bails mid-year is probably the type who puts him/herself way ahead of the common good.

And if I was an employer , looking to hire a candidate that meets all requirements.....but bailed on his team to look out for his own self interest,

I would hire someone else.

Life works that way too, by the way.

got bad news for you, but corporate America does not reward loyalty.

I think What you’re not getting that in the corporate world that can be the only way to advance yourself.

That isn’t rising, that is jumping IMO. If the person is so great, why did they have to leave that many jobs in that short of a time? The type of person that bails mid-year is probably the type who puts him/herself way ahead of the common good.

good god guys...do you realize that most corporations stagnate internal raises. My employer purposely caps raises when you move positions and it can take up to two years to get into what is considered the normal salary in the new position. Most in the workforce today will tell you the only way to get significant raises is to hop between different companies.

The players in question chose to sign with a bad team. When they signed their binding LOI, were they confused and thought that the red uniforms that they saw on their visits were Alabama’s?

Reactions: PittFamily2
Not every kid that plays a D1 sport is going pro, but one thing for sure eventually all will have to get a job. Schools are giving these guys an opportunity to earn a degree and set themselves up for life . I see both sides. If not careful we are going to ruin this like we do everything else.

Reactions: PittFamily2
good god guys...do you realize that most corporations stagnate internal raises. My employer purposely caps raises when you move positions and it can take up to two years to get into what is considered the normal salary in the new position. Most in the workforce today will tell you the only way to get significant raises is to hop between different companies.
I never worked for a company like that but stay ahead of everything.

The only time most people get maxed out is when they stay in a job to long and they hit the max comp range for that job.

Student athletes aren't in the business world yet.

Most -98% will be in a few years and 100% of them should be working if they use their free education properly.

I certainly don’t expect lifelong loyalty. Nor do I think it would be good for anyone. However, that many jobs in that short a time is a big red flag to me. Very good chance the job or the employee have repeatedly fallen short of expectations. Either way, why should I think a new position would be any different?

I certainly don’t expect lifelong loyalty. Nor do I think it would be good for anyone. However, that many jobs in that short a time is a big red flag to me. Very good chance the job or the employee have repeatedly fallen short of expectations. Either way, why should I think a new position would be any different?
Employers will notice a person who switched Universities a few times.

I always asked applicants to explain multiple colleges or Universities and most have reasonable explanation. I had one who told me the parties were better.

Last edited:
Dont forget medical care, above and beyond playing ball.

Kids get sick. Mononucleosis is common for example. So is the flu, common colds being around others. Kids that age sometimes need wisdom teeth removed at that age, or other medical procedures that pop up out of nowhere.

All of this is on the school's dime. Not the kid.

Actually players are expected to be covered under their own health insurance policies for non-sport related injuries and illnesses. If a football player needs his wisdom teeth removed that probably isn't going to be on the school's dime.

Reactions: CJsE and Ski11585
I never worked for a company like that but stay ahead of everything.

The only time most people get maxed out is when they stay in a job to long and they hit the max comp range for that job.

Student athletes aren't in the business world yet.

Most -98% will be in a few years and 100% of them should be working if they use their free education properly.
It’s not about maxing out/ it’s about earning your market potential.

The only way to realize your market worth is to listen and take other offers

It’s not about maxing out/ it’s about earning your market potential.

The only way to realize your market worth is to listen and take other offers
I agree with what you just posted.

You didn't understand my response since it addressed a different situation.

One poster mentioned his company doesn't provide normal increases or restricts them when people move from job tojob.

I said in today's competitive market the only way an employee doesn't get raises or increases in a specific job is if they're a poor performance or they've hit the max compensation for that specific job. Every job has a min and max compensation range if a person stays in a job long enough to hit the max range their increases will slow down or stop.

I agree with what you just posted.

You didn't understand my response since it addressed a different situation.

One poster mentioned his company doesn't provide normal increases or restricts them when people move from job tojob.

I said in today's competitive market the only way an employee doesn't get raises or increases in a specific job is if they're a poor performance or they've hit the max compensation for that specific job. Every job has a min and max compensation range if a person stays in a job long enough to hit the max range their increases will slow down or stop.
But there aren’t market adjustments staying inside your company .

Loyalty is not rewarded.

Selfish self-centeredness is at the root of ALL our problems; everywhere in humanity. It’s driven by 100 forms is fear, self-seeking, self pity and self delusion. Decisions made solely on self are doomed to fail in the end. That’s what this 50 year old man has learned so far.
It is a team sport, but I also understand and not naive that people play it for individual gain, as they should. But....I think this is reflective of how children are mostly raised today, no adversity, nothing is their fault. I laugh when I see these programs who stack 5 star recruits (especially at QB) on top of each other....of course what do they think is going to happen.

I have a buddy who is a huge Georgia fan, and he calls Justin Fields a "quitter" and I said "well Georgia didn't need to recruit a 5 star QB in every class" and then I said "of course, as a parent or adviser, don't they look at this stuff, or are they just blown away by the fan aspect of programs and all of the stuff, instead of looking at it like it is a business decision?"

But as much as we want to bemoan the selfishness nature of kids today, we just have to realize and appreciate they have more power now than ever. And that isn't the worst thing. Before scholarship limits, coaches like Bear Bryant and Woody Hayes would recruit top talent, just to make sure their opponents don't get them more so than actually looking to play them, or needing them. And at the end of the day, that is much worse...

Then again, the transfer portal further strengthens the power of the true football powers, because lesser programs can develop or discover a super talent, and by the time the kid is a Sr, an Ohio State or Alabama can reap the rewards and that sucks.

Ski, I really think they strive to play for the really cool Letterman's sweater they can wear at the local Malt Shop to show Richie, Potsie and Fonzie and the guys.

Reactions: Ski11585

Sure they do as students ( grades & ratings by instructors, and as athletes ( by coaches) but not as employees of the college or University.

They're not employees of the University, they're not on the payroll, 98% of them understand they're not going Pro.
They play a sport they love in exchange for a free college education that will help prepare them for the next step after college graduation.

Consider all the kids who play sports that have no Pro future like track, wrestling, field hockey, they play the sport for the scholarship and its something they love.
The band, cheerleaders, dance team don't even get a free education but do it because its something they've done since 5 yrs old and they love it.
They're there because they want to be there.

Last edited:
cant for the life of me figure out how this is a bad thing. as a fan of college football, i love it. players leave to play instead of being stuck in a situation where they are not playing.

cant for the life of me figure out how this is a bad thing. as a fan of college football, i love it. players leave to play instead of being stuck in a situation where they are not playing.
I know this thread has taken a lot of turns, so I'm guessing you're not referring to my initial post about a starting QB, and starting running back quitting on the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT