ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Just watched "The Old Guard" on Netflix....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
Definitely recommended viewing.

Some thoughts:

1. Action movies can easily fall into tropes but this manages to float above most of the time.
2. Very interesting story line
3. I there anything Charlize Theron can NOT do? And how in the world did they not snag her for the Marvels Universe? She's a total bad-ass and honestly can change her hair, outfits, characters, etc. and still look fantastic. The fact that she has stretched during her career (Aileen Wuornos) proves what a great actor she is also.
4. At the end my oldest and I looked at each other and simultaneously said "Sequel!!!!!".

I'm mourning the loss of all the big summer film releases. This definitely temporarily filled the void.

Been meaning to check it out. Atomic Blonde was really good as well even if they changed it from the graphic novel a bit.

I believe the source material for this was also a graphic novel.

Yes, Greg Rucka, excellent comic writer. Check out his spy series, Queen and Country (itself inspired by the incredible British tv series The Sandbaggers, a "realistic" cold war spy show.)

Anyway, I enjoyed this movie and think it could have a good sequel. but I thought the dialogue and writing could have been better, and it could have used more flashbacks and less total minutes of watching the characters get shot.

Reactions: DruidTM
I liked it a lot. Wish it was a series instead of a movie

That was a movie that set up future movies. Looking forward to the next one.

I could not stop thinking she was basically reprising her role in Hancock with The Old Guard.

Personally, much prefer superhero movies like this one that are still human and with the backdrop the real world- Capt America, Wonder Women, Hancock etc. Too much CMGI can ruin an otherwise good movie, imo.

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT