ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kennywood's The Steel Curtain

How many years did the Steel Phantom exist before they had to re-build into Phantom's Revenge? Was it even 10 years? Looks like Steel Curtain might have an even shorter lifespan.

This was a long time coming, It's a pretty good ride but man, S&S built a terrible coaster on the cheap because of Palace, the whole thing is going to have to be re-tracked.

I’m a season pass holder and have never ridden this ride. The one year its was closed all year long. Then the lines were too long and now this year….same old crap

Nooooo. Was planning to go to Kennywood this year.

I love amusement parks. We've been to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for a 2 or 3 hours the last two days. Everything is a walk on and most everything is open except water rides & Loch Ness Monster which is re -tracked and opening in May.

Planning on visiting a couple of parks we've never been to this year on a trip to Texas.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Better coaster parks within driving distance and better family parks within driving distance.

Grew up in West Mifflin. Worked at Kennywood 68-70. Was a manger of the refreshment stand (Midway) across from the Jackrabbit making $1.75 an hour. Met a lot of young ladies.
Fun times. Gas was $0.39 a gallon. Always had money in my pocket.

When you are 12 they were to die for! Now, not so much!
There was a kid from Carrick nicknamed "Spud" who OD'd from those fries in 1981.

The HJ Heinz Company pulled strings to keep that news from getting out into the media since Spud was known to drown his fries in ketchup.

There was a kid from Carrick nicknamed "Spud" who OD'd from those fries in 1981.

The HJ Heinz Company pulled strings to keep that news from getting out into the media since Spud was known to drown his fries in ketchup.
Urban legend?

Oh man. I remember a time when going to Kennywood was a 2-3 times per summer necessity. But it’s become such a dump that we haven’t been there in probably 15 years. I never even rode the steeler coaster and now feel bad that I haven’t. Was it good?

Oh man. I remember a time when going to Kennywood was a 2-3 times per summer necessity. But it’s become such a dump that we haven’t been there in probably 15 years. I never even rode the steeler coaster and now feel bad that I haven’t. Was it good?

if you like inversions, which isn't my thing.

Maybe they cam revamp the coaster into a Primanti Brothers themed ride called the meat curtain
NKl8gp2uk1Mbu.webp

You’d think they would have done this between the end of last season and the beginning of this season? It definitely feels like they put it off so they could delay spending the money.
The put it off because making this type of announcement earlier would have cost them a bunch of season ticket sales. The right thing to do would be to give partial refunds any season pass holders, but I am skeptical that will happen.

I remember a time when you could swim in Kennywood pool for most of the afternoon and then ride till 11:00 pm. The pool had a large fountain where one could walk around it to play tag or whatever game du jour. I was there a few years ago and the last word I would use to describe it is a dump. Rather it is a historical treasure.

Why do you feel it has become a dump?

And seeing these things perpetually under repair doesn't give me alot of confidence. Shame, some of the best memories as a kid was at Kennywood.

I remember a time when you could swim in Kennywood pool for most of the afternoon and then ride till 11:00 pm. The pool had a large fountain where one could walk around it to play tag or whatever game du jour. I was there a few years ago and the last word I would use to describe it is a dump. Rather it is a historical treasure.

Why do you feel it has become a dump?
Not sure it’s the new ownership that doesnt keep up on the aesthetics (landscaping) that the old owners did, and combined with the depressed area of Duquesne and the clientele…well it’s my perception. Plus maybe I’m so used to Disney parks and how meticulous Disney is.

We used to go to Idewild, swim during the day and ride at night. And this was just 15 or so years ago. Was always a nice time.

And seeing these things perpetually under repair doesn't give me alot of confidence. Shame, some of the best memories as a kid was at Kennywood.
I was there last summer for the 1st time in 5 or 6 years. The park looked good, and it was clean. But there were way to many rides not open. The whole Steeler land or whatever it’s called was closed. There were a few other rides not open, other rides started shutting down at like 8:30. It also wasn’t very crowded, and it was a Friday in July with good weather.

The put it off because making this type of announcement earlier would have cost them a bunch of season ticket sales. The right thing to do would be to give partial refunds any season pass holders, but I am skeptical that will happen.

That's a fairly common practice at most theme parks though.

Old wooden coasters are the best.

Although the Tron and guardians of the galaxy coasters in Disney, which are not, are the best I’ve ridden.
I've got to get back to Disney. Switched over to Universal a few years ago due to the express pass being included with the top hotels and the age of my kids (they were getting to cool for Mickey). I love the Hagrid coaster and Velociraptor one. The Velociraptor might be my favorite coaster ever. I used to love The Beast in Kings Island, but I'm starting to get too old for the wooden coasters. Still love speed and g force though. And Velociraptor has plenty of that.

Haven't been to Kennywood in a while, but the last time I went, I really liked the Sky Rocket.

I'm looking forward to trying the new version of the Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

Yeah well that doesn't make it right. Six Flags parks are probably ran even worse than Palace Entertainment so I'm sure they do it.
Six Flags = parking lot with rides and run of the mill fast food. I'm hoping that the Cedar Fair philosophy stays with the new entity. Cedar Fair Parks are way better than Six Flags.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT