ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Land Rover Discovery or other car recommendations?

So here’s a question. We just went to the Jeep dealer and wanted some add-ons to a Grand Cherokee that weren’t available in any of the cars on their lot. So we built our own and the dealership ordered it. However, they never took a down payment, deposit or had us sign anything meaning we can walk away if we want. How does this make any sense?

So here’s a question. We just went to the Jeep dealer and wanted some add-ons to a Grand Cherokee that weren’t available in any of the cars on their lot. So we built our own and the dealership ordered it. However, they never took a down payment, deposit or had us sign anything meaning we can walk away if we want. How does this make any sense?

Honda dealership did this to me once. Its a tactic they use to get you to fall in love with the car and then they call you a week later and say o we need a deposit for you to keep the vehicle. Give us x amount of cash to secure the buy or you have to return the car.

Reactions: JD1976
I am entering year 3 of a three-year lease on a Ford Edge. It has been wonderful. On the highway it gets nearly 28 mpg. It has pretty much everything you would want, AWD, Satellite radio, smart cruise, lane keep assist, navigation, heated & cooled seats, roof is all glass. It really is a nice vehicle.

The final verdict here since I started this thread. We stayed far far away from the Land Rovers. We finalized our list of BMW X5, Audi Q7, Infiniti QX60, and Acura MDX. After test driving each one multiple times, my wife fell in love with the BMW X5. We got a darker silver with the black M Sport wheels. Let me say, every car was great, but the BMW drives like a sports car and SUV at the same time with full luxury and comfort.
Final car specs: BMW X5, M Sport package, luxury seating package, heads up display, driver assist package, climate package, lane package, and every other possible extra package. We did not buy new, as a new one spec'd like this would be about 85,000 brand new. I'll really see how it travels when we head up to Pittsburgh in May. So far it has been everything and than some.

Reactions: PA_Panther

they’re confident that they will be able to sell it whether you take it or not. They’ll probably be able to sell it at a higher price if you don’t take it

Reactions: JD1976
they’re confident that they will be able to sell it whether you take it or not. They’ll probably be able to sell it at a higher price if you don’t take it
So they quoted $42k and change for the 21 Grand Cherokee with some of the package options. That is inclusive of all taxes, fees, trade in allowance and rebates. Anyone with knowledge industry want to venture a guess how much I can shave off before they say no?

So they quoted $42k and change for the 21 Grand Cherokee with some of the package options. That is inclusive of all taxes, fees, trade in allowance and rebates. Anyone with knowledge industry want to venture a guess how much I can shave off before they say no?
Ask them to show you their invoice, then offer half of their 3% holdback. Approximately $600. The dealership has a hit and go number at month’s end that will give them additional monies. If they are close to that number, they will want to negotiate. When they say no, that means you are close.
When the price is agreed on, and a trade is involved, ask to see a Manheim Market Report. It will tell you what your vehicle is selling for at auction. Just subtract any reconditioning it might need to be salesworthy.
As far as interest rate, shop your bank first. The dealership makes money there as well.
They need to make something, but not always a lot. The bigger stores get a huge check at months end, if they hit their incentives.
We actually lost money on the last couple sales, so we could get the carrot at months end.
Manufacturers are setting the tone here. Good luck....it’s a moving target, each month.

Last edited:
Even if you put a down payment and you decide you don’t want it they have to give you your money pack
They can’t keep your money, unless you sign a non refundable disclosure. They might try to say that they will have to sell the unit first, but nobody wants any state or legal intervention. If you don’t take delivery, they can’t keep your money.

Last edited:
Ask them to show you their invoice, then offer half of their 3% holdback. Approximately $600. The dealership has a hit and go number at month’s end that will give them additional monies. If they are close to that number, they will want to negotiate. When they say no, that means you are close.
When the price is agreed on, and a trade is involved, ask to see a Manheim Market Report. It will tell you what your vehicle is selling for at auction. Just subtract any reconditioning it might need to be salesworthy.
As far as interest rate, shop your bank first. The dealership makes money there as well.
They need to make something, but not always a lot. The bigger stores get a huge check at months end, if they hit their incentives.
We actually lost money on the last couple sales, so we good get the carrot at months end.
Manufacturers are setting the tone here. Good luck....it’s a moving target, each month.
Awesome advice. Thank you.

They can’t keep your money, unless you sign a non refundable disclosure. They might try to say that they will have to sell the unit first, but nobody wants any state or legal intervention. If you don’t take delivery, they can’t keep your money.
Exactly

If you really like the Jeep GC but wouldn't mind a little more room you might look at a Dodge Durango as Chris46 mentions above. It's pretty much the same car with room for 3 rows. May not have Jeep cachet, but I think it looks tough.

BMW makes 1,500, or so, X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 SUVs per day in South Carolina.

The Kia Telluride, Sorento and Optima are made in West Point, Georgia.

Hyundai makes the Sonata, Elantra and Santa Fe in Montgomery, Alabama and will also add the Santa Cruz to that facility.

Mercedes makes the GLE, GLE Coupe, and the GLS in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Toyota and Mazda are building a plant in Huntsville, Alabama.

Toyota makes the Camry, Camry Hybrid, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, RAV4, Lexus ES350 and Lexus ES300h in Kentucky.

Honda makes the Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline near Talladega, Alabama.

Volkswagen makes the Passat, Atlas and Atlas Cross Sport in Tennessee.

And, while Westmoreland County was helping to screw-up the VW plant Honda started in 1979 in Ohio, since then they have made 26,000,000+ Honda & Acura cars in America.

Buy what fits you taste, needs, and budget. If supporting the US is your top priority... our family vehicle was rated the most ‘American made’ vehicle in its model year... GMC Acadia Denali... been a great vehicle and loaded with all the tech, comfort, safety, utility, and features one could ever need for a family ride. It wasn’t even on my radar when I started the search and brand was not the primary reason I bought it... I looked at numerous brands domestic and foreign and it was probably 4th or 5th on my initial list... but research and test drive made it the clear easy choice for my family... doesn’t mean it’s best for yours, but suggest you don’t dismiss it.

If you really like the Jeep GC but wouldn't mind a little more room you might look at a Dodge Durango as Chris46 mentions above. It's pretty much the same car with room for 3 rows. May not have Jeep cachet, but I think it looks tough.
I really like Jeep GC and owned one for 4 years and would never tell anyone not to buy one, but admit that I actually liked the Durango GT and the Acadia Denali better after having driven all of them.

I really like Jeep GC and owned one for 4 years and would never tell anyone not to buy one, but admit that I actually liked the Durango GT and the Acadia Denali better after having driven all of them.
I have always wanted a Jeep GC so while I did look at other similar brands, it was going to be hard to get me to change my mind.

Reactions: JoseLind13
I have always wanted a Jeep GC so while I did look at other similar brands, it was going to be hard to get me to change my mind.
Perfect... If you have that true desire for a Jeep, then you should absolutely buy one, that's an easy decision. You will love it. You are your family will spend a lot of hours in it, and it's great to drive something daily you have always wanted to own.

No offense to the Kia lovers in the thread.. I'm sure they are much better cars than in the past and maybe a smarter buy on paper than the Jeep, but I don't think I've ever heard someone ever say they always dreamed of owning a Kia.... Jeep - yes.. Corvette- yes, Porsche- yes, various pickup truck models- absolutely, Kia- nope. That intangible can mean a lot to enjoying your ride.

Reactions: Pitt1975
The new Jeep GC L has a 3rd row if you need a little more space in the back. Supposedly will be available in the next month or so

Reading this thread makes me want to upgrade my Sonata. Then I remember I drive maybe 400 miles a month with work from home and it tells me it would be a waste.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT