ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Let me get this straight...

The pizza oven never shuts down no matter how cold it is!Got to make that dough while you can.People love to eat pizza when it's cold outside but I hate to deliver it when it's this cold.But people do tip more in bad weather. $$$$$$

When I was a kid, we never had closings or delays. Today I work at a place that does have an occasional closing or delay. To be honest, on this issue, I'm not longing for "the good old days" I'm always ECSTATIC whenever I get a closing or a delay!!!

Reactions: Jakey_John
When I was a kid, we never had closings or delays. Today I work at a place that does have an occasional closing or delay. To be honest, on this issue, I'm not longing for "the good old days" I'm always ECSTATIC whenever I get a closing or a delay!!!
The reason for delays is so the school busses can head out once the roads have been plowed some, same sort of thinking when they spring the kids early if a snow storm is coming.

Most school districts stagger the start & dismissal times of High School, Middle School and Elementary School, the busses and drivers have routes for all three levels. If the busses that go out for the High School kids get slowed down by the weather it'll end up delaying the Middle and Elementary routes anyway so it's easier to delay everyone and let the plows do their thing.

There's also a reason behind delays where I work, it's a big complex with use parking lots. The thinking is to plow and salt the lots first before everyone shows up and that makes good sense.

The reason for delays is so the school busses can head out once the roads have been plowed some, same sort of thinking when they spring the kids early if a snow storm is coming.

Most school districts stagger the start & dismissal times of High School, Middle School and Elementary School, the busses and drivers have routes for all three levels. If the busses that go out for the High School kids get slowed down by the weather it'll end up delaying the Middle and Elementary routes anyway so it's easier to delay everyone and let the plows do their thing.
I also think delays are the result of busing legislation - now students MUST be bussed (except for Mt. Lebanon? I know they resisted that for a while maybe that has changed.)

There were never buses in my neighborhood of the South Hills. We walked. I had to take public transportation to high school in Shady Side. I think now school districts are obligated to bus any student to any school within a certain mile radius?

The pizza oven never shuts down no matter how cold it is!Got to make that dough while you can.People love to eat pizza when it's cold outside but I hate to deliver it when it's this cold.But people do tip more in bad weather. $$$$$$
Mrs Buffett and I were at Jersey Mikes the night prior to the forecasted large snow storm that never happened earlier in January.

The manager and two employees were planning to stay overnight so they could open at 10 am on time since they didn't live close.

Chick -fil-a right around the corner had a different plan they were going to pick up key employees in 4 wheel drive vehicles prior to opening the day of the snow storm which was a fizzle.
The hospitality business is a grind!

I also think delays are the result of busing legislation - now students MUST be bussed (except for Mt. Lebanon? I know they resisted that for a while maybe that has changed.)

There were never buses in my neighborhood of the South Hills. We walked. I had to take public transportation to high school in Shady Side. I think now school districts are obligated to bus any student to any school within a certain mile radius?
Likewise no busses if you’re within 2 miles of the school.
We walk our first grader- but only a half mile away.

Likewise no busses if you’re within 2 miles of the school.
We walk our first grader- but only a half mile away.
I think that may be only a Pgh Public School District rule. We live 1 mile from our elementary school and they were bussed.

You’re a hoopie or hoopie affiliate though. Anytime it snows too much you can just cobble up some of those wooden snowshoes the Natives used to employ and be on with your day. Up North we don’t have that kind of resourcefulness.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT