ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Light, enjoyable travel show on Netflix

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
This show has been around for awhile. I really discovered it during the dark days of 2020 with the BLM riots and Covid shutdowns blasting us every day and also the election just bombarding us with ads.

Somebody Feeds Phil. It is not hard hitting Anthony Bourdain. But Phil Rosenthal who I think produced Everybody Loves Raymond among others travels to other cities to well....eat. It makes you smile. It is candy. If you just want pure escapism and light hearted but awesome food choices, and cool guests.

I highly recommend. It will lower your blood pressure. It is fun. It is light hearted and uplifting and there isn't much of this anymore.

Reactions: jivecat
This show has been around for awhile. I really discovered it during the dark days of 2020 with the BLM riots and Covid shutdowns blasting us every day and also the election just bombarding us with ads.

Somebody Feeds Phil. It is not hard hitting Anthony Bourdain. But Phil Rosenthal who I think produced Everybody Loves Raymond among others travels to other cities to well....eat. It makes you smile. It is candy. If you just want pure escapism and light hearted but awesome food choices, and cool guests.

I highly recommend. It will lower your blood pressure. It is fun. It is light hearted and uplifting and there isn't much of this anymore.
I can tell you that his recommendations for Lisbon panned out very well.

I have the book.

Thanks for the recommendation. I never heard of this show before now.

Great show and not only was Phil executive producer of Raymond, Amy from Raymond is his wife. She pops up occasionally on this show.

I’ve watched it since the beginning. Sometimes, the choices of locations are puzzling. This season he went to Iceland. It was a nice travel advertisement for anyone who is thinking about visiting there (wouldn’t be on my bucket list if I doubled my bucket list) but the food was pretty uninspiring. On the other hand, Kyoto, Japan had great food and was an interesting travelogue as well.

His willingness to try to eat weird things and his sense of humor and adventure really make the show. If you ‘missed them and want to go back and see some of the old ones, the shows on the Mississippi Delta, Nashville, Austin, San Francisco, Hong Kong and Bangkok are excellent.

I’ve watched it since the beginning. Sometimes, the choices of locations are puzzling. This season he went to Iceland. It was a nice travel advertisement for anyone who is thinking about visiting there (wouldn’t be on my bucket list if I doubled my bucket list) but the food was pretty uninspiring. On the other hand, Kyoto, Japan had great food and was an interesting travelogue as well.

His willingness to try to eat weird things and his sense of humor and adventure really make the show. If you ‘missed them and want to go back and see some of the old ones, the shows on the Mississippi Delta, Nashville, Austin, San Francisco, Hong Kong and Bangkok are excellent.
Yeah the Kyoto episode really made me want to go back to Japan. I have been to Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka and Kobe, but honestly I was 25-26 and too young to really appreciate things.

Also, he actually made the visit to Mumbai seem really interesting and desirable. But of course the visit always comes with "insiders" which I have found essential for any travel abroad.

Iceland has a variety of food options. I had pretty good seafood there. There's the fermented shark thing that I didn't care to try. They also eat horsemeat. It was surprisingly good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT