ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: local beers

SoufOaklin4Life

Lair Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2004
Another State of Mind
one of the concerns I had move back was local beer scene (since North Carolina is top notch)

Very pleased so far-
What are your favorites?

Drinking a Bigger Hop from east end.
Like voodoo’s lineup.

Cinderlands and Hop Farm are tasty.
Like grist house.

I enjoyed drai laag- but haven’t tried the reboot

Reactions: beiglepanther
Dancing Gnome NE IPAs are on par with any in the country. They also released a breakfast stout today that was fantastic. My personal favorite is their Better 1 or 2 DIPA.

Voodoo’s stuff is very good but their barrel-aged stuff is world class. It just isn’t easy/ cheap to get.

Brew Gentlemen’s brews are consistently rated well, including their General Braddock IPA that Paste tanked #1 in the country last year.

Those three are arguably top 3 local.

Reactions: H2P-2007
My favorite from East End is Big Hop Harvest in the fall. Bigger hop is solid also liked one called Green Giant I had years ago.

At Grist House once, had a few different beers and brought home some Fire On The Hill. liked what I had there.

Dancing Gnome is good. A guy who works at Grist House told me Hitchhiker(also has a place in Sharpsburg) makes some of the best beer around. I haven't tried it yet.

Draai Laag now Strange Roots and they are making more than just sours. My wife really liked their sours, but I haven't tried any of their new stuff. They just opened a new place off 910 in the North. We're going to check it out one weekend.

ShuBrew in Zelie/Harmony makes some good beer.

A friend of mine loves Brew Gentleman. I find G Braddock reasonable.

one of the concerns I had move back was local beer scene (since North Carolina is top notch)

Very pleased so far-
What are your favorites?

Like voodoo’s lineup.

Like grist house.

I drink Vodka. I noticed you have posted over 50k times that is insane. And you only have 5k likes.
Just an observation, ps I gave you a like on this thread.

Dancing Gnome NE IPAs are on par with any in the country. They also released a breakfast stout today that was fantastic. My personal favorite is their Better 1 or 2 DIPA.

Voodoo’s stuff is very good but their barrel-aged stuff is world class. It just isn’t easy/ cheap to get.

Brew Gentlemen’s brews are consistently rated well, including their General Braddock IPA that Paste tanked #1 in the country last year.

Those three are arguably top 3 local.
Got any spares of that DG stout??? :) Couldn’t make it out there today. Fortunately it sounds like they’re going to have several variants throughout the year.

Very pleased so far-
What are your favorites?

Like voodoo’s lineup.

Like grist house.

You made a career change. For your family, an entire life change.

And one of your concerns was local beer?

I’ve been trying to get away from the water down domestic pilsners for years and just can’t do it. IPAs kill me they all taste like grape fruit juice. I’ve always said IPAs are for people that want to drink beer that don’t like the taste of beer.

I want a nice tasting Ale that doesn't have a bitter aftertaste. Only thing I’ve been able to find is smithwicks. I pay 50 bucks for a case of anything local that taste like that

Beer has really become a social drink for me. It tastes so much better out with friends than it does at home. I have been about craft beered out. While I love the movement and the choices and think it is hilarious how Bud tries to celebrate its mediocrity in response, but especially now as the summer months come, alot of the really heavier beers just aren't as appealing. As I type this and look outside, oh gee, it is snowing again.

Reactions: Swervin27
I said that half joking but being honest, that is my beer of choice. I am not into the IPA's, dark beers, etc...
Something happened recently with Pugh brewing company. New ownership or something. I’ll see if I can find a link.

They don’t get the buzz for some reason but Roundabout makes very good beer. Haven’t had an IPA from them that I didn’t enjoy.

Swervin - not all IPAs are like that. Try a Bells Two Hearted.

And I’ll second Dancing Gnome and Brew Gentlemen. Haven’t been to Hitchhiker since they first opened but from what I hear they’ve stepped up their game. It was ok then but I’ve been told they’re much improved.

Last edited:
Reactions: H2P-2007
Beer has really become a social drink for me. It tastes so much better out with friends than it does at home. I have been about craft beered out. While I love the movement and the choices and think it is hilarious how Bud tries to celebrate its mediocrity in response, but especially now as the summer months come, alot of the really heavier beers just aren't as appealing. As I type this and look outside, oh gee, it is snowing again.
ive yet to get to the point in my life where I want one or even 2 good tasting beers and that’s it. I’ve yet to say “ I really want to drink and savor one truly great tasting beer” and go to bed.

Maybe that says more about me then anything. If I do get to that point, I think I will be able to join in on these craft beer, double chocolate stout, grapefruit ipa threads.

Dancing Gnome and Grist House are two of my favorites - I'm not a huge fan of Voodoo. But I live in Philly, so only get to test the breweries once or twice a year when I come out for Pitt games.

Where were you living in NC? I was just in Asheville this weekend for a beercation and my favorite brewery was probably Burial.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
They don’t get the buzz for some reason but Roundabout makes very good beer. Haven’t had an IPA from them that I didn’t enjoy.

Swervin - not all IPAs are like that. Try a Bells Two Hearted.

And I’ll second Dancing Gnome and Brew Gentlemen. Haven’t been to Hitchhiker since they first opened but from what I hear they’ve stepped up their game. It was ok then but I’ve been told they’re much improved.

I need to check some of these out - new to me. Beeradvocate.com can only get me so far...haha

Reactions: PPanthers1
I’ve been trying to get away from the water down domestic pilsners for years and just can’t do it. IPAs kill me they all taste like grape fruit juice. I’ve always said IPAs are for people that want to drink beer that don’t like the taste of beer.

I want a nice tasting Ale that doesn't have a bitter aftertaste. Only thing I’ve been able to find is smithwicks. I pay 50 bucks for a case of anything local that taste like that
While IPAs are my current personal favorite, I totally understand what you mean. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a "regular beer tasting" beer, but I can't stand the mass produced stuff like Bud, Miller, Heineken, etc. I too love Smithwick's.

Not sure the availability of the Victory brand back in Pittsburgh, but I would suggest that you try their Home Grown Lager. It has a ton of good beer flavor, without being too strong or too watered down.

I live in Downingtown (where Victory is brewed). For the past year, the only beers in my fridge have been Hop Devil and Home Grown Lager. (Plus some Yeungling for my dad.) One of those two never fails to deliver what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Swervin27
While IPAs are my current personal favorite, I totally understand what you mean. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a "regular beer tasting" beer, but I can't stand the mass produced stuff like Bud, Miller, Heineken, etc. I too love Smithwick's.

Not sure the availability of the Victory brand back in Pittsburgh, but I would suggest that you try their Home Grown Lager. It has a ton of good beer flavor, without being too strong or too watered down.

I live in Downingtown (where Victory is brewed). For the past year, the only beers in my fridge have been Hop Devil and Home Grown Lager. (Plus some Yeungling for my dad.) One of those two never fails to deliver what I'm looking for.

You can find Victory pretty much anywhere craft beer is sold here. It’s widely available in the Pittsburgh area. For those that like IPAs can’t recommend Dirt Wolf enough. Stranger Things is also good but may be seasonal. Think it replaced Hop Ranch which was also very good.

Reactions: 1963Uninvited
Dancing Gnome and Grist House are two of my favorites - I'm not a huge fan of Voodoo. But I live in Philly, so only get to test the breweries once or twice a year when I come out for Pitt games.

Where were you living in NC? I was just in Asheville this weekend for a beercation and my favorite brewery was probably Burial.

We have a similar palate. I thought Burial was outstanding when we did a micro brew crawl through Asheville. I drink IPAs and my wife is into wheat beer and sours. We both thought Burial was the best.

You can find Victory pretty much anywhere craft beer is sold here. It’s widely available in the Pittsburgh area. For those that like IPAs can’t recommend Dirt Wolf enough. Stranger Things is also good but may be seasonal. Think it replaced Hop Ranch which was also very good.
Dirt Wolf is as good an DIPA as I have had. I went through a Dirt Wolf phase, but I drink too much beer to drink doubles. I was getting buzzed on a daily basis!

Blue Moon First Peach Ale
Blue Moon Pacific Apricot
Blue Moon Mango Wheat

All are great!

If you want a simple, but great PA beer a Yuengling Lager is the answer.

I've been Blue Mooned and or Yuengling'd in Pittsburgh many times. Especially after the games at my and Mr Buffett's favorite watering hole Tequilla Cowboy.

Just follow the rules and they won't throw you. Although last time we were in Pittsburgh, a friend of mine decided to dance on the stage in the Cowboy Bar while a performance was in progress and that didn't work out great for her?

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

Last edited:
Blue Moon First Peach Ale
Blue Moon Pacific Apricot
Blue Moon Mango Wheat

All are great!

If you want a simple, but great PA beer a Yuengling Lager is the answer.

I've been Blue Mooned and or Yuengling'd in Pittsburgh many times. Especially after the games at my and Mr Buffett's favorite watering hole Tequilla Cowboy.

Just follow the rules and they won't throw you. Although last time we were in Pittsburgh, a friend of mine decided to dance on the stage in the Cowboy Bar while a performance was in progress and that didn't work out great for her?

"save a horse ride a cowboy"
Signed: Mrs Buffett
Go CSU Rams & PITT Panthers

You are putting us all on with this schtick aren't you? I have to admit, you had me going.....

first time I ate sushi I was like 14, at this place in California. I grabbed the chunk of ginger, thinking it was some sort of thinly shaved salmon and ate it all at once. I thought how this sushi stuff tastes really weird.

IPA's suck, they give me heartburn. They're all yours.
Beer in general makes me piss too much.
Tito's or Ketel One and soda get me where I'm are going faster with less baggage.

My neighbor ‘s go to

Roll out the Stoney's
Fetch me my beer
Pour me a Stoney's
That's why I'm here!

Showing my age!!! Fun fact some may not know. Shirley Jones was the granddaughter of Stoney Jones, the founder of Jones Brewing, maker of Stoney's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT