ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Long overdue, Salk exhibit established at Pitt

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
The creation of the Polio vaccine at Pitt has been fairly universally recognized as one of the greatest medical science achievements in the history of the world and I've always said it should get some sort of notoriety on campus. Quite frankly, it is amazing that it hasn't. Whole museums have been devoted to much less, but in general, Pitt has always done a piss poor job promoting its unbelievable history of accomplishments so not surprising.

I've always suggested Pitt should create some sort of museum display...in Salk Hall refurbish his old lab space with era specific equipment, perhaps. Well, that hasn't happened exactly, but I now know partially why that wasn't happening. Salk took all his equipment with him when he left and had been left in storage out in San Diego where he had founded the Salk Institute after leaving Pitt. That equipment and his papers have now been donated to Pitt by the Salk family.

So these items are now back home and on display at Pitt's School of Public Health in its new Salk Legacy Exhibit. Long overdue but kudos are in order for finally doing what should have been done decades ago.

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/content/uploads/2023/04/w/b/jonas-salk-exhibit-11.jpg

https://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/content/uploads/2023/04/v/x/jonas-salk-exhibit-14.jpg
https://9b16f79ca967fd0708d1-2713572fef44aa49ec323e813b06d2d9.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/1200x/4-28-23SALK0428BB12907-1682714777.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for that update, CP. Agree that this is one of Pitt’s greatest legacies, if not the greatest given the context of polio’s awful impact on public health at the time. I even looked for some tribute to it long ago when I was an undergrad and was disappointed that it didn’t exist…and this was the 1980s. Long over due

Pitt has so many people that it could recognize. There could be a whole museum just devoted to Pitt faculty and students.

Reginald Fessenden: Father of radio broadcasting
Vladimir Zworykin: Father of TV
Peter Safar: Father of CPR
Thomas Starzl: Father of organ transplantation
Paul Lauterbur: inventor of the MRI
David Cleland: father of project management
John Brashear: astronomer
Samuel Langley: aviation and astrophysics pioneer
Benjamin Spock: psychology
Wilfrid Sellars: analytic philosophy
Philip Hench: cortisone

Reactions: jtbuba
Thanks for this tribute to Dr. Salk, Paco. My wife and I are planning on visiting this exhibit this coming week. The draft is so insignificant when compared to the great men and women who are from Pitt and who made life so much better for all of us. Hail to Pitt!!!

May he rest in peace, but that is obscene in comparison to what Dr. Salk did. Unless he has a Pitt helmet on.
We graciously have George Washington too. For now at least. Eventually he may get the Columbus tarp treatment 😂🙄

Franco is actually fine as well, in an appropriate context/less priority location. Entertainment has its place, but this thread reminds and underscores that someone like Dr. Salk deserves to receive far more notoriety than any entertainer or politician. Put up a statue of Salk front and center, move Franco over by the Cinnabon.

I’d hope in whatever place that a prominent individual (or team of such, as it often happens now) was instrumental producing a similar groundbreaking medicine or vaccine, whether penicillin, HIV, Covid et al, they should get proper notoriety that has largely evaded Dr. Salk here.

An important point has apparently been lost regarding Dr. Salk. He elected not to patent his vaccine. He could have made millions back then.
I guess he was more interested in saving lives.

An important point has apparently been lost regarding Dr. Salk. He elected not to patent his vaccine. He could have made millions back then.
I guess he was more interested in saving lives.
I don't know what it was like back then, but these days Pitt would receive 55% of commercialization proceeds from such patents. Could have made Pitt millions as well, when millions were more like today's billions.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I work about 10min from the Salk Institute in La Jolla.

I really should brag about Dr Salk and the Pitt connection more to the younger associates at work. Of course me being a pure chemist in the Biotech industry those young associates probably already know more about Dr Salk than me anyways.

Long overdue. Just a great tribute;I know one of the first groups of children to be vaccinated, were
students @ St. Philomena School in Squirrel Hill.

Pitt has so many people that it could recognize. There could be a whole museum just devoted to Pitt faculty and students.

Reginald Fessenden: Father of radio broadcasting
Vladimir Zworykin: Father of TV
Peter Safar: Father of CPR
Thomas Starzl: Father of organ transplantation
Paul Lauterbur: inventor of the MRI
David Cleland: father of project management
John Brashear: astronomer
Samuel Langley: aviation and astrophysics pioneer
Benjamin Spock: psychology
Wilfrid Sellars: analytic philosophy
Philip Hench: cortisone
Superb!!!

I work about 10min from the Salk Institute in La Jolla.

I really should brag about Dr Salk and the Pitt connection more to the younger associates at work. Of course me being a pure chemist in the Biotech industry those young associates probably already know more about Dr Salk than me anyways.
FYI Salk wanted 1) to call it the "Pitt vaccine" 2) build his institute at Pitt with the $10 million ($100m in today's money) that he had received from what is today the March of Dimes.

However, Salk wanted his institute to have virtual indpendence from the management and administration of the University. Litchfield wouldn't have that. The rest is history.

Pitt is so dumb sometimes.. I mean there have been just some mindbogglingly, rockbottom, super dumb stuff throughout its history. Congrats San Diego, Pitt's idiocy has been your gain.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT