ADVERTISEMENT

OT Maz’s Home Run

TFBaum

Junior
Jan 22, 2020
I just watched it on you tube. Was anyone on this board at that game? Per the video it the home run was at 3:36 did Pitt cancel classes that day?

I just watched it on you tube. Was anyone on this board at that game? Per the video it the home run was at 3:36 did Pitt cancel classes that day?

No. Most of the kids made it home before he hit the homer and others had transistor radios

Reactions: jctrack
my dad also went to the game. only gave me the Ticket stub - in the left field bleachers - and the score card a few years ago. just priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: TFBaum

I remember watching Adventure Time on channel 4.
Paul Shannon.
He re-enacted with a Pitt student catching the ball outside the stadium.

My father in law was at game and gave my son his ticket! Of course, I have that ticket hidden so my son doesn’t lose it LOL
My brother and his 7 month pregnant wife were there in the left field bleachers. They parked in Irwin at a relatives house and took a bus in. He described the incredible scene in Oakland after the game. Bars handing free beers out the door and such. said he caught the last bus out before they shut down the city.

My father was at Central Catholic football practice up on the Schenley Oval when Maz hit the homer.

There is a picture somewhere of Pitt kids standing on a balcony up on the Cathedral of Learning looking down into ForbesField.

I was getting dressed for football practice. We all listened to it via the radio that was being transmitted throughout TJ.

There is a picture somewhere of Pitt kids standing on a balcony up on the Cathedral of Learning looking down into ForbesField.

A picture somewhere??

That is one if the most iconic sports photos ever taken. From Time Life collection.

And the "kids", were all adults.

If anyone is connected to a local sports historian, I've always thought it would be a very interesting story as to who the people were, how they were able to get up to the top of the Cathedral, and what happened to them afterwards.

Mike ditka tells the story of either being on that roof at the time, or watching from the student union roof/window. I forget the story. Maybe someone else can confirm.

A picture somewhere??

That is one if the most iconic sports photos ever taken. From Time Life collection.

If anyone is connected to a local sports historian, I've always thought it would be a very interesting story as to who the people were, how they were able to get up to the top of the Cathedral, and what happened to them afterwards.
May have been Ditka, but now that I’m thinking about it, I think he was at the student union when it happened.

worldseries.jpg

There are definitely some college student in the picture. Notice the guy holding up his hands and making what looks like a C or backward C. Is that purposeful or just caught in the middle of getting his hands unclenched?

There are definitely some college student in the picture. Notice the guy holding up his hands and making what looks like a C or backward C. Is that purposeful or just caught in the middle of getting his hands unclenched?
One of the guys in front of him is doing the same thing.

It's actually the same guy both hands, it looks deceiving because the angle of the guy in the back.
Bad case of arthritis. Every time I see this picture I am drawn to how the cars are parked in the parking lot. Talk about maximizing space. Those guys parked against the building are still waiting to get out.

All I know is I’ve played golf a few times with Max and you won’t meet a nicer person. He is the epitome of a gentleman.

I have had the pleasure of golfing with him as well Skeets and you are absolutely correct. Great guy to say the least. Very humble too. They are actually replaying this game right now on 93.7 The Fan. Yanks just took the lead....

That is a great iconic picture. Two of the greatest sports photo’s imho were taken on Pitt’s campus, this one and the YA Tittle.
The one about Y.A. Tittle I witnessed first hand. I was sitting in the end zone and it happened right in front of us.

The one about Y.A. Tittle I witnessed first hand. I was sitting in the end zone and it happened right in front of us.
Wow what a moment. I bought a copy of the photo through the Post Gazette. I heard the story that the editor didn’t think much of the photo.

There are few events in life that make you stand above everyone else and go down in history that people will always talk about you. Being President, landing on the moon, leading men to victory in a war, hitting the game winning home run in a World Series, scoring the game winning goal in the World Cup, and a buzzer beater to win the NBA championship. Think how many people you can name just from this list of achievements. There are more, but man, to be a name never forgotten, and to have even a nickname like Air Jordan or Dr. J, how awesome.

There are few events in life that make you stand above everyone else and go down in history that people will always talk about you. Being President, landing on the moon, leading men to victory in a war, hitting the game winning home run in a World Series, scoring the game winning goal in the World Cup, and a buzzer beater to win the NBA championship. Think how many people you can name just from this list of achievements. There are more, but man, to be a name never forgotten, and to have even a nickname like Air Jordan or Dr. J, how awesome.
And catching a touchdown in the last 10 seconds of the Super Bowl. It is those moments that are placed upon people because they are in the game. One thing I always preached to my children during their days of playing sports is prepare for the moment.

And catching a touchdown in the last 10 seconds of the Super Bowl. It is those moments that are placed upon people because they are in the game. One thing I always preached to my children during their days of playing sports is prepare for the moment.
Think about Brandy Chastain. Or however you spell it. She hits the game winning PK in women’s World Cup, takes her Jersey off and has one if the most iconic moments and photos.

A picture somewhere??

Agreed. That photo is hanging up in my man cave next to the "Thrill of Victory" stadium photo. Another favorite.

Last game YA Tittle ever played.

That picture was so iconic, that an episode of Friday Night Lights worked it into a scene,

When Matt Serazen loses on the last pass of the game, they show a celebration, and then flash to MS at the same exact spot on the field, in the same pose as Tittle.

Purposely done to include in the series.

My brother and his 7 month pregnant wife were there in the left field bleachers. They parked in Irwin at a relatives house and took a bus in. He described the incredible scene in Oakland after the game. Bars handing free beers out the door and such. said he caught the last bus out before they shut down the city.
Didn’t know they ever had buses from Irwin.

Or SMF

Didn’t know they ever had buses from Irwin.
1960 was a totally different time. Buses and trains were the method of long distance travel before the interstate highway system was up and running. I would wager they had special buses from different locations for that series.

Last game YA Tittle ever played.

That picture was so iconic, that an episode of Friday Night Lights worked it into a scene,

When Matt Serazen loses on the last pass of the game, they show a celebration, and then flash to MS at the same exact spot on the field, in the same pose as Tittle.

Purposely done to include in the series.
Did he have a bald head with traces of blood trickling down? That small trickle of blood trickling down tittle's head and face is what made that picture what it became.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT