ADVERTISEMENT

OT: MLB is back

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Looks like it’s official. Training camps began the beginning of July, season starts ~July 24. Also going to have expanded playoffs (eight per league).

Here’s why Pirates fans should find a 60-game season interesting. In 2018 they finished 82-79 and last season they finished 69-93. However, their records through 60 games were:

2018: 30-30
2019: 29-31

Either of those might be enough to sneak into the postseason. All bets are off.

Here’s why Pirates fans should find a 60-game season interesting. In 2018 they finished 82-79 and last season they finished 69-93. However, their records through 60 games were:

2018: 30-30
2019: 29-31

Either of those might be enough to sneak into the postseason. All bets are off.

Of course, this fails to take into account that July 24 is usually when they start to fade.

So - if you’re a manager in the usual 162 game year, you typically don’t play the hot hand if it’s a young un-established kid vs an established veteran. You might use the kid to spell the veteran but not replace him. Over a 162 game season, that - on average - is the statistically smart play.

But do you do that in a 60 game season?

Some bench warming rookie gets on a tear. Do you start him until he flops?

what about guys who start off slow? Quicker trip to the bench?

Interesting strategy choices in a 60 game season.

NHL has been dangling the “we’re playing” carrot for weeks, and now baseball is joining the fun. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see sports come back tomorrow, but the pessimist (realist) in me doesn’t see sports return until widespread distribution of a vaccine in 2021. Sad, but probably true.

you typically don’t play the hot hand if it’s a young un-established kid vs an established veteran.

You must follow the Pirates.

Let's start with the 200 hundred winners and runners-up of the Rookie of the year award.

Last edited:
NHL has been dangling the “we’re playing” carrot for weeks, and now baseball is joining the fun. Don’t get me wrong I’d love to see sports come back tomorrow, but the pessimist (realist) in me doesn’t see sports return until widespread distribution of a vaccine in 2021. Sad, but probably true.
^^This^^ yes and it is sad.

but the pessimist (realist) in me doesn’t see sports return until widespread distribution of a vaccine in 2021

It seems to me that HS sports in PA will soon resume. In fact I suggested last week the opposite and got hammered, which made me look into it further and sure enough it looks like HS sports are ready to roll. What can anyone make of it?

I think we'll see some 4-man rotations this yesr.

It depends on the roster rules they come up with, but the only way that happens is if a team uses two or three openers in their rotation rather than "traditional" starters. If they play 60 games in 66 days there won't be enough off days to do it without using openers.

Maybe even four of them.

It seems to me that HS sports in PA will soon resume. In fact I suggested last week the opposite and got hammered, which made me look into it further and sure enough it looks like HS sports are ready to roll. What can anyone make of it?
For now

Reactions: Parkview57
It depends on the roster rules they come up with, but the only way that happens is if a team uses two or three openers in their rotation rather than "traditional" starters. If they play 60 games in 66 days there won't be enough off days to do it without using openers.

Maybe even four of them.

I'm suggesting they go with one day less rest. It won't work mathematically on their current schedule for a normal season, but can't they pitch a little more frequently with only having to play a third of the games? I don't know... I'm sure it wouldn't happen without backlash anyway.

If the season does start July 24th, it will make Succo baseball relevant in August and maybe September!

Been a long time since that happened!

I'm suggesting they go with one day less rest. It won't work mathematically on their current schedule for a normal season, but can't they pitch a little more frequently with only having to play a third of the games? I don't know... I'm sure it wouldn't happen without backlash anyway.

They surely aren't going to go with one less days rest unless they are pitching a lot less in each game. If guys are throwing 100 pitches in a game they aren't coming back on three days rest, at least not on any sort of regular basis. At the end of the season in a do or die type game, yeah. maybe. But not for two month in a row.

Now if they were being used as an opener, maybe throwing three innings and 50 pitches then yeah, they might do that. But teams aren't going to want a good pitcher doing that, they would do it if they had a bunch of mediocre pitchers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT