ADVERTISEMENT

OT: mock drafts

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I heard the guys on the radio mention an article that discussed all of the top mock draft guys and assigned scores for them based on their accuracy in this years NFL draft. I tried to find the article but couldn’t find it. The source of the article assigned a point for a correct pick to the correct team and a half point for predicting a player to the right team in the wrong spot. Mel Kiper got 1.5 points for the 1st round by picking the #1 overall pick (who didn’t?) and Will Anderson to the Texans in the wrong spot. That’s it. Lol. Personally, no one should get a point for correctly picking Young to Carolina because the entire world knew it. So Mel Kiper essentially got a goose egg for the entire first round. That’s hard to do for anyone who pays attention, let alone for the guy who created the mock draft industry.

Another mock draft nugget, PFF put out a 2024 mock draft and have the Steelers taking an ILB with the 10th overall pick.

1. If the Steelers are drafting 10th overall, then heads need to roll. With the highest paid defense in the league, if they are drafting 10th overall then it’s an organizational epic fail and an overhaul is needed.
  2. If the Steelers take an ILB 10th overall, that’s worse than taking a RB in the 1st round, and again, heads would need to roll.
  3. The only thing worse would be drafting Dino Tomlin with the 10th overall pick, at which point, every executive (including Mike Tomlin) would need to be shot.

I heard the guys on the radio mention an article that discussed all of the top mock draft guys and assigned scores for them based on their accuracy in this years NFL draft. I tried to find the article but couldn’t find it. The source of the article assigned a point for a correct pick to the correct team and a half point for predicting a player to the right team in the wrong spot. Mel Kiper got 1.5 points for the 1st round by picking the #1 overall pick (who didn’t?) and Will Anderson to the Texans in the wrong spot. That’s it. Lol. Personally, no one should get a point for correctly picking Young to Carolina because the entire world knew it. So Mel Kiper essentially got a goose egg for the entire first round. That’s hard to do for anyone who pays attention, let alone for the guy who created the mock draft industry.

Another mock draft nugget, PFF put out a 2024 mock draft and have the Steelers taking an ILB with the 10th overall pick.

1. If the Steelers are drafting 10th overall, then heads need to roll. With the highest paid defense in the league, if they are drafting 10th overall then it’s an organizational epic fail and an overhaul is needed.
  2. If the Steelers take an ILB 10th overall, that’s worse than taking a RB in the 1st round, and again, heads would need to roll.
  3. The only thing worse would be drafting Dino Tomlin with the 10th overall pick, at which point, every executive (including Mike Tomlin) would need to be shot.
I think u need to settle down on the 2nd part of the post.
But I love seeing the talking head experts be so very wrong.

It seems Khan and Weidl really know what they're doing so far

I think u need to settle down on the 2nd part of the post.
But I love seeing the talking head experts be so very wrong.

It seems Khan and Weidl really know what they're doing so far
Well the 2nd part of the post is an example of how insane these mock draft people are. It’s insanity. It’s like they don’t even think.

Reactions: Drew1208
Well the 2nd part of the post is an example of how insane these mock draft people are. It’s insanity. It’s like they don’t even think.
i was thinking this FK. these mock drafts are so popular and never ending, i swear i saw a new one, every day since late february..

yet they are all wrong, not kind of wrong but 95% wrong, all of them. the experts are 95% wrong and yet they keep making predictions and for some reason, we keep reading them and even referencing them..

why? If someone makes predictions on here every single day, and is wrong every single day, we probably wouldnt use them as a reference point but we do with mock drafts..

Reactions: HailToPitt725
and on a side note, i really want the expression "way too early mock draft" needs to be put to bed, forever.

i was thinking this FK. these mock drafts are so popular and never ending, i swear i saw a new one, every day since late february..

yet they are all wrong, not kind of wrong but 95% wrong, all of them. the experts are 95% wrong and yet they keep making predictions and for some reason, we keep reading them and even referencing them..

why? If someone makes predictions on here every single day, and is wrong every single day, we probably wouldnt use them as a reference point but we do with mock drafts..
I find them fun for myself during the January/February months to do to learn more about the players.

It was fun to see that B. Jones was my most mocked player

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt

It really is a challenge, much more so than bracketology. The bracketologists on selection Sunday are 90-98% right as far as the field of 68. What separates them is their accuracy of where they place teams on the S curve. But these mock draft guys are like 10% right in many cases. The guys this morning discussing the article written about all the mock draft guys cited one guy who got 6 right as being the standard bearer.

And I’m not really a guy to knock Mel Kiper. He built an industry and deserves credit for the awesome career he built for himself. But I would be curious to see a breakdown of his accuracy over the past 30-35 years. I wonder if his accuracy has gone down because at this point he’s just coasting into the twilight of his career.

Reactions: Drew1208
It really is a challenge, much more so than bracketology. The bracketologists on selection Sunday are 90-98% right as far as the field of 68. What separates them is their accuracy of where they place teams on the S curve. But these mock draft guys are like 10% right in many cases. The guys this morning discussing the article written about all the mock draft guys cited one guy who got 6 right as being the standard bearer.

And I’m not really a guy to knock Mel Kiper. He built an industry and deserves credit for the awesome career he built for himself. But I would be curious to see a breakdown of his accuracy over the past 30-35 years. I wonder if his accuracy has gone down because at this point he’s just coasting into the twilight of his career.
yeah, Kiper basically made the draft watchable and entertaining. this was something that in the early 80s, was in a banquet hall in a marriott with folding chairs behind closed doors..

now the draft is one of the most watched event on tv going until nfl season starts..

It's one thing to be wrong but his take on Levis ended up being really wrong

• Haha
Mocks are fun but just impossible. Teams are going to make trades or do something unexpected that throw the entire first round off. It's better to judge people on how they asses each team and if they accurately predict the team's needs and who they 'might' pick, but that assessment is an impossible task. Some mocks had the Stelers taking a position other than OL or CB in the first round, which I didn't think was ever going to happen.

My personal mock for the Steelers had them moving up ahead of the Jets to get Jones. That was beore the Jets swapped picks with Green Bay, so I had the Steelers trading a 3rd round pick because they would have need to move up more spots. I didn't think JPJ would be there at #32, so I was expecting someone like Banks to be the second pick. I thought maybe Banks or Forbes would be there, but both were gone.

SMF predicted you would say that.

When it comes to a QB, if a team doesn't need a potential high level QB, then there are really only so many teams that would take Levis. After, the first 4 or so picks, it was likely a fall for him even if he were the next highest rated prospect on anybody's board.

Well what people can't predict is teams falling in love with players. I mean everyone had Christian Gonzalez going top 10 to Detroit, They trade out and take Gibbs and Campbell both projected second round picks.

Sure but this crap is really hard. Maybe Kiper knew that Indy loved Levis but they were an outlier. It's possible they would have taken him at 4 and no other team had him as a top 20 pick on their board. It only takes a few teams going weird to screw up the whole projection. Heck, Detroit going RB/ILB round 1 pushed a lot of guys down the board!

If they are drafting 10th overall it probably means they need a new QB, or a bunch of guys got hurt. We all know they'd just blame Canada and make no other big changes though.

Sure but this crap is really hard. Maybe Kiper knew that Indy loved Levis but they were an outlier. It's possible they would have taken him at 4 and no other team had him as a top 20 pick on their board. It only takes a few teams going weird to screw up the whole projection. Heck, Detroit going RB/ILB round 1 pushed a lot of guys down the board!
But if I remember correctly he kept saying he's going 2nd overall

If they are drafting 10th overall it probably means they need a new QB, or a bunch of guys got hurt. We all know they'd just blame Canada and make no other big changes though.
OMIGOD it is worse than that. It means Mark Madden was right.

if we are 10th, it means we had a 5-12 or 6-11 season, or we traded it up but that's unlikely. so yes, if we are picking 10th, things went really really bad..

tomlin still wouldnt be on the hot seat though, you know that for a fact. canada's head would be on the chopping block though..

Drafting that high, heads absolutely have to roll and they'd need to make moves during the season.

Completely agree about ILB as well. Drafting that high you have to go EDGE, CB, or some other key position.

Let's not fprget that Houston trading back into three instead of a QB needing tean mad a difference, If someone traded into three abd tiik Richardson then Levis probably goes 4

Mock Drafts are like bowl projections. People LOVE to read them and they generate clicks even though they are almost always very wrong. The Fan had a Mock guy on last week and he admitted he hates Mocks and has thought about having his site stop doing it but people like it and he subs it out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT