ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Motown

May 6, 2017
I grew up on Motown music. My parents had everything from Stevie Wonder to the Jackson 5 Christmas Album.

Is this the most underappreciated era of music?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I grew up on Motown music. My parents had everything from Stevie Wonder to the Jackson 5 Christmas Album.

I think an argument could be made. Although it’s certainly not forgotten, Motown’s heyday was sandwiched between the 60’s’ “British Invasion” and the 70’s rock and rap.

Love me some Motown, though. Funny enough, I was listening to the Four Tops on the way home tonight. We have XM radio and Soul Town is one of our preset channels. Good stuff.

Had a bunch of Motown records. Always great for setting the mood with the ladies, many moons ago.
Jerry Butler, “The iceman cometh”, 4Tops, Temps, Smokey, and even some Sly Stone who didn’t have the typical Motown vibe.
You can put the Chamber bros, in the sly category as well.
Lots of one hit wonders in those days as well.....

No, because it's not underappreciated.

Name me the radio stations that play Motown records regularly? Over the last 30 years I've lived in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NYC, and a bunch of smaller places. I've never heard a Motown station like I do for classic rock or say "oldies" like the 4 seasons type..

How come we've heard modern bands in the last 25 years cover classic rock songs routinely with success, yet I can't remember anyone covering the Temptations, 4 Tops, Al Green, Sam Cooke? Maybe Michael Bolton covered them lol.

Name me the radio stations that play Motown records regularly? Over the last 30 years I've lived in Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NYC, and a bunch of smaller places. I've never heard a Motown station like I do for classic rock or say "oldies" like the 4 seasons type..

How come we've heard modern bands in the last 25 years cover classic rock songs routinely with success, yet I can't remember anyone covering the Temptations, 4 Tops, Al Green, Sam Cooke? Maybe Michael Bolton covered them lol.

Love Motown music. As far as radio outside of XM Satellite is gets lumped in with oldies. i don't mind so much because I like the other stuff too.

Motown is on all the 60's stations along with all the other oldies from that generation. There arent stations that play early to mid 60s that dont play motown. Now you will get some classic rock stations that will pull a couple songs from the late 60s but that it. Id say the beatles catalog on classic rock stations is limited to Come Together and While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

There were a lot of Motown covers done by 70s era pop / rock / folk artists. James Taylor, Rod Stewart, Stones, Michael McDonald, Carole King releasing her versions of the hits that she wrote for Motown artists.

The Beatles covered Motown........ jus sayin’

Ive always thought it was cool that the Beatles started by recording early American rock and r&b songs that influenced them - including Motown acts like the Marvelettes - and later r&b artists like Aretha, Ray Charles and Wilson Pickett covered Beatles songs. Great recognizing great.

I hear Motown on various SiriusXM hip hop stations. I would agree that it's underappreciated but people do really like it, even Millennials. You can put on Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, and the Temptations and the party will love it. Lots of those artists are getting sampled by modern acts, too.

I don't think it's really possible for modern artists to cover those tracks, though. The songs were so iconic because of their performer's unique/exceptional vocal talent and not necessarily because of the musical notes. And those vocals came out of a specific time and place where those artists started singing in primarily black gospel churches when they were toddlers/young kids. It's just a musical path that isn't as popular anymore as kids can make beats and rap/sing at home using store bought equipment.

I thought this was it ... or at least it's what I remember from a commercial.

That was an ad for WAMO FM in the late 70s. WAMO AM was popular in the late 60s during when Motown was at its zenith. That is when WAMO AM stood fo We Are Most Outstanding. At least a coding to Brother Matt.

That was an ad for WAMO FM in the late 70s. WAMO AM was popular in the late 60s during when Motown was at its zenith. That is when WAMO AM stood fo We Are Most Outstanding. At least a coding to Brother Matt.

Gotcha!

Kudos to the shout out to Brother Matt! 👏👏

Went to the Motown studio in Detroit one weekend, for that reason, it was well worth the visit , amazing, great music and artist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT