ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Name a city that exceeded your expectations upon your first visit."

When you entered the Russian Olympic Training facility, were you required to take steroids? Or, was that requirement only for females?
Funny, we were out training and came back to get a tour of the facilities. We walked into this place and on the one floor of the building, sitting on the sofa watching TV was Vladimir Tkachenko, Olympic basketball player. No idea why he was there, but he was over 7 feet tall. He sat on one end of the sofa legs sprawled across the sofa hanging off the end. He would be the equivalent of shaq. This place took good care of us. They made sure to bring in coke and Pepsi for us This was in the late 80s. At night the Russian military guards allowed black market guys into the living quarters. They sold us anything Russian just to get American dollars. I have tons of Russian flags, pins, military hats, and other odd things. I traded a dollar or two for rubles that pretty much paid for everything that week. Can’t remember if it was Kiev or Minsk, but the streets were dead and stores empty, no people anywhere. Very odd really. We could walk into a market and we would be the only ones in there except for one worker who pretty much hid in the back until we checked out.

Funny, we were out training and came back to get a tour of the facilities. We walked into this place and on the one floor of the building, sitting on the sofa watching TV was Vladimir Tkachenko, Olympic basketball player. No idea why he was there, but he was over 7 feet tall. He sat on one end of the sofa legs sprawled across the sofa hanging off the end. He would be the equivalent of shaq. This place took good care of us. They made sure to bring in coke and Pepsi for us This was in the late 80s. At night the Russian military guards allowed black market guys into the living quarters. They sold us anything Russian just to get American dollars. I have tons of Russian flags, pins, military hats, and other odd things. I traded a dollar or two for rubles that pretty much paid for everything that week. Can’t remember if it was Kiev or Minsk, but the streets were dead and stores empty, no people anywhere. Very odd really. We could walk into a market and we would be the only ones in there except for one worker who pretty much hid in the back until we checked out.
Having an American income makes one quite wealthy in most other countries. Middle managers make less than 20,000usd in Belarus and Ukraine.

Surely at that time, those Soviet people couldn’t imagine the kind of products you had access to in the US.

Salt Lake City much more going on than I anticipated and nice light rail system. Maybe it was my bias assuming all of Utah was boring but I was shocked at how cosmopolitan it was. Also the surrounding area is great but that wasn't really a surprise. I went to Park City, which is about 45 minutes from downtown Salt Lake for night, and it was absolutely gorgeous.

I echo those saying Greenville,SC. I moved about an hour south of Greenville (Greenwood, SC nice little town in the middle of nowhere) to work as a financial analyst in a manufacturing plant after college in 2006. All the people I worked with told me how great Greenville was and after a few weeks as a 22 year old in the middle of nowhere I decided to venture the 50 miles to Greenville for some nightlife. It exceeded my high expectations. It is gorgeous and main street is absolutely hopping on Friday and Saturday night. It is my favorite smaller city in America.

Lastly Savannah which is just an amazingly cool old city. Again I had high expectations here and they were exceeded.
Another vote for Savannah. My wife and I fell in love with the place; so much that we are looking into Tybee island beach properties. Hilton Head just up the road.

What's not to like.

Munich - good beer, lots of different types of food, English spoken commonly, great public transportation and bike rentals...just not many places like credit cards
Minneapolis - great public transport, great running/biking trails, lots of cool places to eat, great university, and industrial base
Nashville - music, food, people, all are great

Fayetteville, Arkansas. Surprisingly upscale.

Edinburgh, Scotland. Knew it would be nice, but it may be my favorite city in the world.

Lourdes, France. Went there for a day trip just figuring it was a religious tourist spot. Very pretty town.

Paris: the people were warm and charming. I took the time to learn/speak just enough French for them to appreciate the effort. I had a car full of people from out of town (Provence) asking me for directions in French...they thought I was a local. That was cool. I helped a little old lady up the stairs with her groceries. She hugged me. The cheese was great. The cafes were too smoky, though.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
One of my lifetime goals is to do a cross-Canadian road trip -- still haven't decided if car or train is best, but I would love to start in Atlantic Canada, travel through French Canada, on to Toronto, then across the plains, into the Rockies and then eventually to Vancouver. Anyone ever done anything like this?

Paris: the people were warm and charming. I took the time to learn/speak just enough French for them to appreciate the effort. I had a car full of people from out of town (Provence) asking me for directions in French...they thought I was a local. That was cool. I helped a little old lady up the stairs with her groceries. She hugged me. The cheese was great. The cafes were too smoky, though.

The French are smart about controlling the tourism, as opposed to the Italians who have totally ruined Venice. Paris was still very authentic. The bakeries were all the real deal. Baguettes & croissants were so much better than anything found here.

Reactions: Dan1911
One of my lifetime goals is to do a cross-Canadian road trip -- still haven't decided if car or train is best, but I would love to start in Atlantic Canada, travel through French Canada, on to Toronto, then across the plains, into the Rockies and then eventually to Vancouver. Anyone ever done anything like this?
I loved the Canadian Rockies and Nova Scotia. I'd like to someday drive from Toronto to Montreal and Quebec. But if I were going from one end to the other I'd take the train. I don't know if I'd want to spend a couple days driving across Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

I've driven through Quebec, and from that experience, I'd be inclined to recommend train travel.

I flew into Montreal, and drove a rental car to Quebec City, and around the Province, then back to Montreal. There was not much to see outside of the two major cities. There were a few farms, and every other once in a while a small town with a few houses, a school and a church. That's it.

I know people who live in Saskatoon, and they seem to think that's the way most of the country is.

To me it was a very boring drive, and one that I'd rather be a passenger in a train to see the sights that do come by.

Rent a car in the cities, and let someone else get you from one city to the next.

Again, Montreal should have not been surprising. But I can put Toronto on this list. I don't know why, but I didn't realize Toronto was THAT big. And the skyline. It was as big, if not bigger, than Chicago.

Montreal is surprising given how nice it is. I knew it would be interesting but it blew away expectations.

Toronto's skyline is nice but I don't think it can hold a candle to Chicago as far as the number of supertalls and architecturally interesting buildings. I think both cities are similar though. Fun to visit but a bit bland and corporate (at least in the downtown area) to me.

Another for me would be London, Ontario. Got sent there for a few months of work about 15 years ago. I expected something equivalent to Akron but it was really quite nice.

Columbia sucks.
Really dumb response, and indicative of the times in which we live. If we were all in person, you wouldn’t say something stupid like “Columbia sucks.” You’d say something like “Wow, I had a terrible time there. What did you like about it?” Instead, you respond like you did, basically saying I’m right and you’re wrong. Which is really, really dumb, since the subject matter is by definition subjective.

Do better.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Really dumb response, and indicative of the times in which we live. If we were all in person, you wouldn’t say something stupid like “Columbia sucks.” You’d say something like “Wow, I had a terrible time there. What did you like about it?” Instead, you respond like you did, basically saying I’m right and you’re wrong. Which is really, really dumb, since the subject matter is by definition subjective.

Do better.
A bit of an overreaction on your part, but you make a fair point. :)

But how is it indicative of the times in which we live? People didn't say things suck before these times? Seems you are more indicative of the times in which we live.

A bit of an overreaction on your part, but you make a fair point. :)

But how is it indicative of the times in which we live? People didn't say things suck before these times? Seems you are more indicative of the times in which we live.
He didn’t say it sucks in a vaccuum. He implied you’re wrong, it sucks, basically invalidating his opinion. I’m talking about how people are much more brash on the internet than they would be in person. Politeness and courtesy have taken a back sheet to internet muscles. The times we live in refers to anonymous interactions vs. face to face.

• Haha
He didn’t say it sucks in a vaccuum. He implied you’re wrong, it sucks, basically invalidating his opinion. I’m talking about how people are much more brash on the internet than they would be in person. Politeness and courtesy have taken a back sheet to internet muscles. The times we live in refers to anonymous interactions vs. face to face.
aren't you implying he is wrong?

aren't you implying he is wrong?
You’re obviously being intentionally obtuse, or playing devil’s advocate, so I won’t respond any further. My response was not about being right or wrong. It was about the rudeness that occurs in anonymous interactions that wouldn’t happen face to face. Recruits was rudely telling another person his subjective opinion was wrong. I’m commenting on rude behavior. If that’s the same in your view, cool!

• Haha
Fortunate to have lived many places (Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, Baltimore/DC, Buenos Aires, Madrid, Brussels) and visited many others.
San Francisco best. Most romantic and most geographically beautiful city anywhere.

Reactions: TFBaum
You’re obviously being intentionally obtuse, or playing devil’s advocate, so I won’t respond any further. My response was not about being right or wrong. It was about the rudeness that occurs in anonymous interactions that wouldn’t happen face to face. Recruits was rudely telling another person his subjective opinion was wrong. I’m commenting on rude behavior. If that’s the same in your view, cool!
But you are doing the exact same. Then you say I will just have the last word and you will just have to accept it. The coward’s admission of ignorance?

But you are doing the exact same. Then you say I will just have the last word and you will just have to accept it. The coward’s admission of ignorance?
Y’all just need to get used to it. Because the only physical interactions in the future will be with robots. I have my sexbot preordered. Delivery come 2037.

Do better.
No. Columbia sucks pretty much covers it with all the detail needed along with an economy of words.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT