ADVERTISEMENT

OT - New Bank/Credit Union

gspia22

Prep
Apr 20, 2006
All,

Sorry, I know football season is Saturday so I hate to do OT posts at this time. Thinking about changing banks. Currently with PNC, they are OK, just tired of getting nickel-dimed on fees and minimum deposits. Also their interest rates are pretty low, IMO. Philosophically I'm just tired of being with large corporate banks.

Was initially thinking of going with PSECU or Dollar Bank. I like credit unions, though PSECU supports "that school in the middle of the state" (stupid reason, I know, but if I'm on this board I'm diehard Pitt). I like that Dollar is a mutual bank (similar to credit union) and headquartered in Pittsburgh. Even though both are smaller than PNC, they have access to more ATM's nationwide due to partnerships with other entities, which is a plus.

Anyone offer any insights into either of the two or any other recommendations? Online banking and bill pay is an important feature for me in any new financial institution. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I can't speak to CU's. I have both Dollar and PNC. You get better interest rates with Dollar on your general checking and savings than PNC. Dollar does not have share holders to pay. You can get loans anywhere, but Dollar typically has lower loan rates than PNC if you like to keep everything in one place. PNC has a better online banking experience. With both software and features. However, I have never had an issue getting done what I needed to online with Dollar. I guess depends on what you are looking to do. PNC also has way more branch locations if need be.

Smaller banks are most definitely behind the times when it comes to online banking experience. And that will always be the case, because smaller banks just don't have the resources to keep up with the jonses. that doesn't mean Dollar's online platform is terrible, it just isn't as nice as PNC's platform.

as far as checking accounts go, pretty much every institution from the smallest credit union all the way to JP morgan are going to have some usage rules and minimum transactions to avoid fees. that is the way of the world in banking in this day and age.

Smaller banks are most definitely behind the times when it comes to online banking experience. And that will always be the case, because smaller banks just don't have the resources to keep up with the jonses. that doesn't mean Dollar's online platform is terrible, it just isn't as nice as PNC's platform.

as far as checking accounts go, pretty much every institution from the smallest credit union all the way to JP morgan are going to have some usage rules and minimum transactions to avoid fees. that is the way of the world in banking in this day and age.
Dollar will work with you on loans.
I vote DB.

I've been happy with PNC for 20+ years, but have shopped around a few times in the past, too. Check with a PNC rep to be sure you are maximizing the perks for your average monthly balance level. There may also be promotions for long-time customers beyond the advertised plans. I found that it doesn't require a huge fortune to be immune from all of the non-sense monthly and transnational fees and also get refunded 100% of all ATM fees from any bank anywhere in the world with PNC.

I've been happy with PNC for 20+ years, but have shopped around a few times in the past, too. Check with a PNC rep to be sure you are maximizing the perks for your average monthly balance level. There may also be promotions for long-time customers beyond the advertised plans. I found that it doesn't require a huge fortune to be immune from all of the non-sense monthly and transnational fees and also get refunded 100% of all ATM fees from any bank anywhere in the world with PNC.

Assuming you are a good customer, this is your best option. Most banks will help you navigate around their fees if you push them enough.

CU's have odd rules sometimes that can be a real hassle. I don't recommend them for anything except the odd loan or certificate.

All,

Sorry, I know football season is Saturday so I hate to do OT posts at this time. Thinking about changing banks. Currently with PNC, they are OK, just tired of getting nickel-dimed on fees and minimum deposits. Also their interest rates are pretty low, IMO. Philosophically I'm just tired of being with large corporate banks.

Was initially thinking of going with PSECU or Dollar Bank. I like credit unions, though PSECU supports "that school in the middle of the state" (stupid reason, I know, but if I'm on this board I'm diehard Pitt). I like that Dollar is a mutual bank (similar to credit union) and headquartered in Pittsburgh. Even though both are smaller than PNC, they have access to more ATM's nationwide due to partnerships with other entities, which is a plus.

Anyone offer any insights into either of the two or any other recommendations? Online banking and bill pay is an important feature for me in any new financial institution. Thanks in advance.
PSECU...Been great for me for 30+ years...Do not need that great of access to their ATMs as they reimburse you for up to $20 a month in out of network atm fees. Pretty good online interface also. No odd rules as stated above as long as you somehow meet the liberal membership requirements and why the hell would you need to be "navigated" around fees. Imo, for day to day personal banking and compared to credit unions, banks suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimtheknife
All,

This.
You probably qualify for their highest checking account level via minimum balance or direct deposit amounts. With that you won't pay (or will be reimbursed) any atm fees and get credit to a safety deposit box and a few other perks. Lots of people just don't realize this and the bank is failing by not telling you, IMO.

Went through Dollar for my mortgage last year - best rates and good people, no problems there at all. But from a personal banking standpoint, I've stuck with PNC, mainly for the ATM conveniences and online platform (and the fact that changing would be painful).

All,

Make sure the credit union you select is insured that's listed as one of the disadvantages of CU's.
Advantages of Credit Unions
You’re a member, not just a customer: As a member of a credit union, you’re not only a customer, but part-owner of the organization. Aside from receiving better service, you possess voting rights, have a say in the operation of the credit union and receive dividends.

Better rates: You’ll get lower rates on loans with a credit union and earn a pretty penny on deposits compared with a bank. Credit unions are not-for-profit organizations and share surplus funds in the form of higher interest rates on deposit accounts. The average interest rate on a one-year CD at a credit union is 0.49% APY compared with 0.39% APY at a national bank, according to the National Credit Union Association.

Lower fees: Because credit unions are not-for-profit and get tax breaks, part of the savings they receive gets passed on to you. Similar to giving you better interest rates than commercial banks, credit unions typically offer more savings to you in the form of fewer fees as well.

Better customer service: Credit unions are known for their superb customer service. Because they tend to be smaller organizations compared to big banks, credit unions are able to really get to know their members and focus on your needs rather than losing you in a sea of customers.

Community comes first: Credit unions are owned and run by members of a common community or workplace — like a resident of a certain city or an employee of a certain company. For example, membership at a teacher’s credit union is limited to professionals in the educational field. Services provided by a credit union are meant to benefit the local community and those who live there.

Disadvantages of Credit Unions
Must become a member: First things first: To take advantage of all a credit union offers, you must become a member. Becoming a member is easy, but can cost between $5 and $25, not including any additional account opening minimums.

Limited branch locations and ATMs: Many credit unions only operate in one location.Even though the smaller, community-based focus is what attracts many credit union customers, lack of multiple bank branches could be an inconvenience. However, note that many credit unions belong to shared ATM networks, which eliminates the issue of not finding enough credit union ATMs.

Not all are insured: Like banks and the FDIC, a federal credit union is also insured by the U.S. government. The National Credit Union Administration is the independent government agency that insures credit unions. However, although most credit unions are insured by the NCUA, some aren’t, and your money could be vulnerable if you keep it with an uninsured credit union that fails.

Fewer services and options: Although credit unions have come a long way in matching the services you’d expect from a bank, not all offer the wide array of services that full-service banks do. If you need a large commercial mortgage loan, for example, your city credit union might not be able to provide you with one. But keep in mind that available services and offerings vary by institution.

Not as tech-savvy: Now, this won’t always be true as it differs from place to place, but given commercial bank assets are upwards of $14,893 billion and credit union assets at just $1,219 billion, according to the Credit Union National Association, credit unions might not have enough money to fund new technology. For example, banking apps, mobile deposit and the like might only be found at bigger banks and credit unions instead of the smaller institutions.

Not All Credit Unions Are Created Equal
You’ll have to find out which institution offers the best rates on the accounts and loans for your situation. Some credit unions will be superior to others; it’s all about finding the right fit for you. Shop around and don’t forget to take convenience and offerings into consideration when making your decision.

Casey Bond contributed

Try First National Bank of Pennsylvania. Lot of branches in Pittsburgh area. Also their market covers Ohio, Maryland and North Carolina. I have both business and consumer accounts with them and they have better rates and terms than big banks ( PNC, Key, Citizens , Mellon etc) and yet their customer service is 2nd to none ( unbelievable how quickly they make decisions and return calls). Most interesting to me is how competitive they are from a technology perspective ( their online banking and mobile banking apps are equivalent to and in many cases better than the big banks. I understand why some of you have high opinions of smaller banks (Dollar-- I used to be a customer), but when you consider the big bank capability of First National ( that includes technology and product and service offerings) and their " small bank" approach to customer service they can't be beat. I have been a customer of First National for 5 years and I can unequivocally say they are hands down better than PNC, Dollar, Huntington and Citizens ( I am a former customer of each of these banks).

Went through Dollar for my mortgage last year - best rates and good people, no problems there at all. But from a personal banking standpoint, I've stuck with PNC, mainly for the ATM conveniences and online platform (and the fact that changing would be painful).

I did the same, exact thing. PNC for personal banking because the convenience. Dollar for home mortgage, because they are a smaller local bank who also had good rates. When things are pretty much the same, I prefer to work for local entities.

Reactions: 3genpanther
If you are good with mobile/online banking, Ally is really good. They have a checking account with an (I think?) .85% interest rate.

PNC and Dollar are solid choices. Key is new to the area with good marketing but an awful organization to work with.

All,

I been banking with S&T for many years no issues and they have been very diligent about unauthorized access
Check with your employer about the credit union I know our company provides employee credit union options which I take advantage of for christmas and vacation savings

Thanks for the feedback. I probably made too big a deal about the fees at PNC. I did just get hit for $12 for new checks, which is incredibly small, but still irritating. Some of the smaller regional banks and credit unions I've seen have free checks and no minimum balances.

I like PNC's online bill pay. It is fantastic.

For me, though, it is as much philosophical as anything. I'd like to be doing business with a regional bank or a credit union. Nothing against PNC, just how I feel about large corporate banks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT