ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New hospital rankings, UPMC drops to #14

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
UPMC Presby-Shadyside's streak of being listed in US News' honor roll of hospitals (top 15-20 of 5,000+ hospitals in the US) is now at 18 years.

UPMC drops two spots in the national ranking to #14 (#2 in the state behind HUP). UPMC was #12 a year ago, see last year's post about the rankings here: https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/threads/ot-new-hospital-rankings-upmc-12.87914/

Magee-Womens Hospital isn't included, which somehow dropped 39 spots and out the top 50. This also doesn't account for Children's Hospital's #9 ranking (down 2 from the prior year) since pediatric hospitals are ranked separately.

Here's how UPMC did in the specialty rankings compared to the prior year:
Cancer #35 (down 12)
Cardiology & Heart Surgery #20 (down 1)
Diabetes & Endocrinology #8 (up 24)
Ear, Nose & Throat #29 (down 23)
Gastroenterology & GI Surgery #6 (same)
Geriatrics #11 (up 1)
Nephrology #35 (down 2)
Neurology & Neurosurgery #20 (down 1)
Orthopedics #22 (down 11), Magee-Womens is #26
Psychiatry #12 (down 1)
Pulmonology #5 (up 2)
Rehabilitation #11 (same)
Rheumatology #11 (down 2)
Urology #13 (up 6)
Gynecology #51 (down 39, Magee-Womens Hospital)
Ophthalmology Unranked (same)

Some of those really took a beating. Magee, Ear, Nose and Throat?

UPMC also achieved High Performing status in 8 of 9 evaluated procedures: Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, aortic valve surgery, COPD, Colon cancer surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, hip replacement, and lung cancer surgery. Knee replacement dropped from high performing to average, the rest kept their "high performing" rating.

Here's the complete ranking of Pennsylvania hospitals:
1. HUP (Penn Med) (11 specialties ranked, 7 high performing procedures)
2. UPMC Presby-Shadyside (14 specialties, 8 procedures)
3. Thomas Jefferson (11 specialties, 9 procedures)
4. Penn State-Hershey (2 specialties, 8 procedures)
5. Lehigh Valley (1 specialty, 9 procedures)
6. Lancaster (Penn Med) (9 procedures)
7. Lankenau (Main Line Health) (7 procedures)
7. Reading (1 specialty, 6 procedures)
9. UPMC Hamot (6 procedures)
9. Penn Med-Chester County (4 procedures)
9. St. Luke's (7 procedures)
12. Pinnacle* (8 procedures)
12. Bryn Mawr (Main Line Health) (7 procedures)
14. Pennsylvania (Penn Med) (1 specialty, 4 procedures)
15. Geisinger (6 procedures)
15. Paoli (Main Line Health) (6 procedures)
15. Riddle (Main Line Health) (5 procedures)
18. UPMC St. Margaret (4 procedures)
18. Abington-Jeff Health (4 procedures)
18. Allegheny General (AHN) (4 procedures)
18. Hahnemann (Tenet) (1 specialty, 2 procedures)
18. Temple (2 procedures)
23. Doylestown (3 procedures)
23. Excela Health Westermoreland (3 procedures)
23. Lehigh Valley-Muhlenberg (3 procedures)
23. St. Mary (Trinity Health) (3 procedures)
23. WellSpan York (3 procedures)

other unranked UPMC hospitals:
UPMC Passavant (unranked, 2 procedures)
UPMC McKeesport (unranked, 1 procedure)
UPMC Mercy (unranked, 1 procedure)
Williamsport Regional of UPMC Susquehanna (unranked, 1 procedure)
UPMC Altoona (unranked)
UPMC Bedford (unranked)
Carlisle Regional (Pinnalce)* (unranked)
UPMC Chautauqua WCA (unranked)
Cole Memorial* (unranked)
Divine Providence of UPMC Susquehana (unranked)
UPMC East (unranked)
Hanover (Pinnacle)* (unranked)
Heart of Lancaster (Pinnacle)* (unranked)
UPMC Jameson (unranked)
Lancaster Regional (Pinnacle)* (unranked)
UPMC Horizon (unranked)
Lock Haven* (UPMC Susquehanna) (unranked)
UPMC Kane (unranked)
UPMC Northwest (unranked)
Memorial Hospital (Pinnalce)* (unranked)
Muncy Valley of UPMC Susquehanna (unranked)
Soldiers and Sailors of UPMC Susquehanna (unranked)
Sunbury* (UPMC Susquehanna) (unranked)
Western Maryland Health* (unranked)

*in process of affiliation/merger with UPMC

Last edited:
Recently, I switched insurance from my company to my wifes. (Upmc employee). And to be 100% honest I've been very disappointed in the patient care at upmc thus far. I've been down the south side 3 times as I have having a knee issue, and the overall experience has been less than desirable.

The care at Children's was second to none My daughter had some relatively serious issues her first couple years and the care was outstanding. Dr Cannon, in particular was tremendous. I have relatives in somewhat high ranking positions at Hillman, Presby, and Shadyside, and my wife works at East....and they all are very well schooled and talented.

Reactions: ddurm
Recently, I switched insurance from my company to my wifes. (Upmc employee). And to be 100% honest I've been very disappointed in the patient care at upmc thus far. I've been down the south side 3 times as I have having a knee issue, and the overall experience has been less than desirable.

The care at Children's was second to none My daughter had some relatively serious issues her first couple years and the care was outstanding. Dr Cannon, in particular was tremendous. I have relatives in somewhat high ranking positions at Hillman, Presby, and Shadyside, and my wife works at East....and they all are very well schooled and talented.
Chp is tremendous
Always has been

Good info. Romof only makes $7,000,000 a year so he obviously isn't doing a good job. Replace him with a person and pay them $12,000,000 per year. Then you will see progress.

Used to work for UPMC. Based on the way they treat their employees, it is no wonder they are sinking very fast. Total disrespect for employees, lowest pay scales, disregard for safety of employees, lack of concern for needs of employees. However it is clear they take very good care of the upper level mgt and CEO. UPMC is a poor example of what a quality health care organization should look like. Very sad that this is what happened to my University.

Reactions: jimtheknife
Moldy blankets don't help the cause either.

Well, those were moldy sheets. And they weren't UPMC's fault, they were a company called Paris' fault. But, they had mold inside of the walls in their OR suites and recovery rooms. That is absolutely on UPMC

Used to work for UPMC. Based on the way they treat their employees, it is no wonder they are sinking very fast. Total disrespect for employees, lowest pay scales, disregard for safety of employees, lack of concern for needs of employees. However it is clear they take very good care of the upper level mgt and CEO. UPMC is a poor example of what a quality health care organization should look like. Very sad that this is what happened to my University.

Not exactly sinking. Mostly stagnant in national reputation. The specialty rankings seem to have weird swings over the years and most changes are minor. They are absolutely a world leader in health care, and growing rapidly. It is easily the largest academic medical system in the country and their model is being widely copied.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePanthers
These rating change direction like a Fart In A Fan Factory as soon as something or a string of somethings happen at a medical center. Lehigh Valley had a few deaths a number of years ago and were ranked low but are now ranked fairly high. We're in that area and no one wanted to go to the hospital during that period.
Some foreign medical aid will pull the wrong tube, or someone will get an infection pre or post surgery and expire and the entire order will change.
The one thing that bothers me is the high number of medical assitants or aids who don't speak English or good English. This is common in the Lehigh Valley hospitals.
When I wife broke her shoulder in Jan after snowboarding and had surgery we insisted on employees who spoke adequate English. Adequate meant we had to be able to understand them and they had to understand our responses.

thank you Norma Rae.

Reactions: _fugazi_
post of the day.

They may not have a high ranking, but Doylestown Hospital specializes in the triple option laser procedure, so we are going to need to be ready for that. Unfortunately, we will only have 5 days to prepare after Penn's traditional scalpel and suture approach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT