ADVERTISEMENT

OT: new logos at Duquesne and Columbus Crew

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Its amazing to me that firms make millions for designing such ugly logos that fans all hate. Here's an idea, let the fans design logos alongside the ones you pay for millions for and have the fans (your actual customers vote).

The Haslam family (Cleveland Browns owners) saved the Columbus Crew by buying them from their previous owner who was going to move them to Austin. Great. But now, with their unbelievable new stadium opening in a few weeks, they rebranded Columbus Crew as Columbus SC along with a new "pointed" C logo very similar to the new pointy D Duquesne logo which is ugly as all heck. Crew fans aren't having it and it looks like they will get their old logo plus old Crew nickname back. I don't know what these firms like so much about these pointed letters. Out of ideas?

I wonder how long DinoCat with the cartoon lettering would have lasted in the age of social media?

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Its amazing to me that firms make millions for designing such ugly logos that fans all hate. Here's an idea, let the fans design logos alongside the ones you pay for millions for and have the fans (your actual customers vote).

The Haslam family (Cleveland Browns owners) saved the Columbus Crew by buying them from their previous owner who was going to move them to Austin. Great. But now, with their unbelievable new stadium opening in a few weeks, they rebranded Columbus Crew as Columbus SC along with a new "pointed" C logo very similar to the new pointy D Duquesne logo which is ugly as all heck. Crew fans aren't having it and it looks like they will get their old logo plus old Crew nickname back. I don't know what these firms like so much about these pointed letters. Out of ideas?

I wonder how long DinoCat with the cartoon lettering would have lasted in the age of social media?
Firms make billions of dollars for doing all kinds of garbage work.

But in a world full of experts, only experts should be doing any of that work.

We have a family friend who works in Duquesne’s basketball program. From what he told me, the university had been facing legal battles from the Detroit Tigers over their “D” logo. I think that’s why they went in such a different direction to the point of introducing the secondary lion logo. Seems like they would’ve preferred to keep the existing logo but weren’t left with many options.
Their new logo should have a disclaimer in small font at the bottom that reads "not to be confused with the Detroit Tigers who suck balls at baseball".

The lion logo reminds me of “Smokey the Bear”.

Maybe Pitt basketball can hire him to keep from having a dumpster fire this season.

Last edited:
Duquesne should actually go public that the Detroit Tigers went after their logo. They can make them look like complete dicks at least in the regional media. My alma mater high school had a "W" on their football helmets that the University of Wisconsin took exception with. The school went full bore media (this was pre-internet) that Wisconsin was doing this. They even had to change the logo on the field ad around the stadium. It was a freaking "W" FFS. Two years or so later there was a high D1 level D-lineman there and the Wisconsin coaching staff contacted the coach about him. They were not very well received. That entire town hates Wisconsin to this day about that.

That new Duquesne logo makes Dinocat and Dinoseal almost "acceptable". It kind of reminds me of when Slippery Rock changed from the Rockets to " The Pride".

I had to look up the new Duquesne logo. It is indeed terrible.

The main problem is that the people who design or agree to these logos have no to little history and connection to the schools and teams.

In Pitt's case, I'm not sure what is worse. Going away from the sweet script logo on the helmets? Choosing the ugly dinocat? Changing the uniform colors from something unique and 'meh'. Changing to dinoseal? Changing to block? Changing AGAIN to those ugly Scott Barnes approved unis (not sure if he choose those). Or just completely ignoring what the fans wanted for over 20 years.

It really is unbelievable how much Pitt fans' opinions were completely ignored for so long. Such idiots at Pitt.

I totally agree the Pitt administration really ruined the uniforms ignoring the fan base and alumni. They don’t care they know it all and also brought down the football program for many years.

The main problem is that the people who design or agree to these logos have no to little history and connection to the schools and teams.

In Pitt's case, I'm not sure what is worse. Going away from the sweet script logo on the helmets? Choosing the ugly dinocat? Changing the uniform colors from something unique and 'meh'. Changing to dinoseal? Changing to block? Changing AGAIN to those ugly Scott Barnes approved unis (not sure if he choose those). Or just completely ignoring what the fans wanted for over 20 years.

It really is unbelievable how much Pitt fans' opinions were completely ignored for so long. Such idiots at Pitt.
The experts always know better.

And conversely, the experts often think the masses are too stupid to have a credible opinion.

Congrats to Duquesne for the perhaps the worst modern day logo reveal of all time. Can't even find a picture of it online. Here it is ripped from the PPG and reuploaded.

dukes.png

Duquesne should actually go public that the Detroit Tigers went after their logo. They can make them look like complete dicks at least in the regional media. My alma mater high school had a "W" on their football helmets that the University of Wisconsin took exception with. The school went full bore media (this was pre-internet) that Wisconsin was doing this. They even had to change the logo on the field ad around the stadium. It was a freaking "W" FFS. Two years or so later there was a high D1 level D-lineman there and the Wisconsin coaching staff contacted the coach about him. They were not very well received. That entire town hates Wisconsin to this day about that.
Surprised to hear that about Wisconsin, given a number of high schools take logos from major college/pro teams who must not take any exception.

Sorry Dukes I now see the logo reveal was done in January, which i didnt have in my search parameters..
How does a bear have anything to do with “Dukes”?

Now, it seems, the human is gone for good, or at least for now, replaced by one of the animals that appears in the university’s coat of arms.

“You’re already leveraging, to some extent, a lion, so why not make that our Duke?” said James Bacon, associate design director for Changeup, Inc., which handled the design, in a video that accompanied the unveiling. “He’s fierce, he’s got natural royalty to it. And we thought it provided good bones for the way we want to take the brand forward into the future.”

Basically they didnt want the logo to be a white male.

Great move by your school to bring back the Pitt logo and old colors. It is bad enough that pro teams now have 26 different uniforms , most not even using the team colors. When a college has something that works, stick with it. In the long run, they will sell more merchandise that way. I have basically no interest in the NBA, but a few weeks back I was flipping channels and I thought what in the world team is that? It was the Houston Rockets wearing some stupid uniform that said H Town with some crazy blue color.

Having gotten a degree from Duquesne, I can tell you I am disgusted with the new “brand”. What an ugly “D” and what an ugly mascot. Garbage.

Doesn't the top basketball program in the country have a white male mascot? Doesn't hurt them. But at Duquesne, they know better. Just like Pitt I guess.
As we were getting through the process of developing an identity system for the new Duquesne athletics brand, we knew we needed to be bold, we knew we needed to be modern, be fierce. So we put a lion in a top hat to be our duke.

Congrats to Duquesne for the perhaps the worst modern day logo reveal of all time. Can't even find a picture of it online. Here it is ripped from the PPG and reuploaded.

dukes.png
I'm not "lion", I never saw this coming for Duquesne.

Word on the street is that this guy is pissed:
575eb7b784c9332e53012528ccf3d46b.jpg

Maybe Pitt basketball can hire him to keep from having a dumpster fire this season.

Looks like the King Lion who ruled the Island of Misfit Toys in Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

And conversely, the experts often think the masses are too stupid to have a credible opinion.
It’s an interesting comparison, because both Pitt and Duquesne hired “experts” within the past few years to do a full scale redesign - colors, logos, uniforms, the whole deal. Pitt hired Nike, and even though we can quibble around relatively minor aspects (whether the numbers should be yellow or white), I think most people can agree that the whole redesign made both made Pitt unique, and also was uniquely “Pitt.” Overall, pretty good, and a solid improvement.

Duquesne, on the other hand, hired something called “Changeup, Inc.” to do their rebrand, and it looks like garbage - every aspect of it.

It’s an interesting comparison, because both Pitt and Duquesne hired “experts” within the past few years to do a full scale redesign - colors, logos, uniforms, the whole deal. Pitt hired Nike, and even though we can quibble around relatively minor aspects (whether the numbers should be yellow or white), I think most people can agree that the whole redesign made both made Pitt unique, and also was uniquely “Pitt.” Overall, pretty good, and a solid improvement.

Duquesne, on the other hand, hired something called “Changeup, Inc.” to do their rebrand, and it looks like garbage - every aspect of it.
And as I said, each could have had a fan contest for free and would up with better combos....well Pitt's are fine except maybe the steel uniforms. I don't know how companies get paid for this. And my God, look at Columbus Crew in the OP. That is atrocious. Just have the fans do it. That Midnight Panther uniform on Twitter was universally loved by everyone. That, for example, was available for free.

Didn't Pitt also hire Nike for the Barnes unis? Those sucked.

I think the key is the direction they are given. This time Pitt told Nike they wanted the script and throwback style colors. So Nike was 90% home. All they had to do is not screw it up, which wasn't a given. I think when a school just gives someone carte blanche, fans won't be happy.

Didn't Pitt also hire Nike for the Barnes unis? Those sucked.

I think the key is the direction they are given. This time Pitt told Nike they wanted the script and throwback style colors. So Nike was 90% home. All they had to do is not screw it up, which wasn't a given. I think when a school just gives someone carte blanche, fans won't be happy.
Those firms try too hard to merit their pay. The Cathedral font is ok but really unnecessary. Just needed to show Pitt and everyone else how creative they are. The pointed D at Duquesne represents something I'm sure and that's stupid.

And conversely, the experts always think the masses are too stupid to have an opinion.

could have had similar results by handing it off to the skilled students in one of their academic programs.

Columbus Crew had a great logo, and what's with this renaming of EVERY TEAM to FC, SC or United? It's stupid. It's like saying we have to be like Europe. Who likes this? I don't think fans do?

Columbus Crew had a great logo, and what's with this renaming of EVERY TEAM to FC, SC or United? It's stupid. It's like saying we have to be like Europe. Who likes this? I don't think fans do?

I always thought it was weird when American soccer teams use European terms. It feels like they're trying too hard to be something they aren't. But it's good to see the Columbus Crew name is staying around. Probably the most recognizable name in the MLS. Off the top of my head I could name the Chicago Fire, LA Galaxy, D.C. United, Sporting Kansas City, Seattle Sounders, and New York Red Bulls.

Reactions: Dan1911
I always thought it was weird when American soccer teams use European terms. It feels like they're trying too hard to be something they aren't. But it's good to see the Columbus Crew name is staying around. Probably the most recognizable name in the MLS. Off the top of my head I could name the Chicago Fire, LA Galaxy, D.C. United, Sporting Kansas City, Seattle Sounders, and New York Red Bulls.
I don't mind a few Euro style names, like DC United, I think that's cool, but when you have like 5 Uniteds and 10 FCs and SCs, then it really is trying too hard, I also hate that they use kit, pitch, nil and terms like that. MLS is an American league, why try so hard to not embrace it and make it our own. Use terms Americans use. I watched my daughter play youth, high school and college soccer for years, they always said, uniform, field and zero, because this is the USA and not England

Reactions: Burgh15

Super dumb look and unimaginative in my opinion.

Those firms try too hard to merit their pay. The Cathedral font is ok but really unnecessary. Just needed to show Pitt and everyone else how creative they are. The pointed D at Duquesne represents something I'm sure and that's stupid.
The pointed D represents Church attendance falling faster than a refrigerator dropped from a fourth-floor dorm window. THUDDDDD. Horrible. So is Top Hat Simba.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT