ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New Music

Where do you find your new music these days?

I came of age in the 70s and 80s and Pittsburgh still had great, independent programming at radio stations. DVE and YDD were awesome then and you did get a chance to hear new music because the DJs helped you discover artists. Then corporate took over play lists and that all ended.

WXDX was a nice alternative in the beginning but they rarely play anything new.

Discovered a alt station in Phoenix called Alt AZ that finds newer artists but if I haven’t listened in a while and then go back they are still playing stuff that is a couple of years old as new.

I have Sirius but haven’t discovered anything that really caters to new stuff that is perhaps broader than a niche category.

i feel currently that social media experts are trying to feed us the next big thing without that thing having any real talent.

I don’t dislike Beyoncé but do I really think all of her Grammys were earned on talent alone and not on popularity.

So just curious if folks have sources for new music. I always love rock and alternative first but do enjoy R&B, Rap and other genres as well. Not Bluegrass though. Lol.
Where do you find your new music these days?..From the little that I hear from time to time the better question for me would be Why would you want to find what constitutes new music these days? . Now, get the hell off my lawn !!

Where do you find your new music these days?..From the little that I hear from time to time the better question for me would be Why would you want to find what constitutes new music these days? . Now, get the hell off my lawn !!

Has music really fallen off so much in the last 25 or so years or is that just because I’ve gotten old? I know every generation says that but I have a really hard time comparing what tops the charts these days with what was popular up through the 90s.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
Has music really fallen off so much in the last 25 or so years or is that just because I’ve gotten old? I know every generation says that but I have a really hard time comparing what tops the charts these days with what was popular up through the 90s.
It’s evolved in a lot of different ways. I mean there are only so many chords out there and ways to play them. Like compare the newer releases of Bruce, Aerosmith, Metallica, to those years earlier… I would like to think things evolved, maybe not to everyone’s taste but from rock came alt/indie and metal came death/thrash, etc. There are still some very talented folks out there, but the media is selling to the next generation, not what us nostalgia folks want. And then sometimes you get some stuff that is like a mix of nostalgia and new like Mumfords with a distinct sound for the time period.

It is hard to compare past vs. present
Past Folk=todays Mumford and Sons
Past Classic Rock=todays Black Keys/Alabama Shakes?
Past Pop=Todays Lady Gaga
Past r&b=Todays Her and Bruno Mars

Last edited:
Definitely an old man yells at clouds, but listening to some stuff from the 70's and early 80's, even most of the "pop" or "top 40" wrote their own songs, and mostly played their own instruments. I think top 40 from that era is superior to now. MTV started crushing this when visual presentation started trumping talent, and it became formulaic.

Definitely an old man yells at clouds, but listening to some stuff from the 70's and early 80's, even most of the "pop" or "top 40" wrote their own songs, and mostly played their own instruments. I think top 40 from that era is superior to now. MTV started crushing this when visual presentation started trumping talent, and it became formulaic.

Man, I don't know recruits. Sometimes on the weekends when I am in the car I put the 70s channel on SiriusXM and listen to a little of the replays of American Top 40 that they do. And there are some songs on there that are just startlingly bad. I mean just a couple weeks ago I heard Convoy on there. That song was the number one song in the country in early 1976.

There were some great songs back then. And some real dreck. We just tend to remember the ones we thought were great and mostly forget about the dreck.

Reactions: PittSquared
Man, I don't know recruits. Sometimes on the weekends when I am in the car I put the 70s channel on SiriusXM and listen to a little of the replays of American Top 40 that they do. And there are some songs on there that are just startlingly bad. I mean just a couple weeks ago I heard Convoy on there. That song was the number one song in the country in early 1976.

There were some great songs back then. And some real dreck. We just tend to remember the ones we thought were great and mostly forget about the dreck.
LOL. Convoy. I loved that song!!! Of course I was like 10.

It’s because you’ve gotten old
90% of music in every generation is crap -
But people hang tight to what was popular when they were 15-25 as the best genre

Mostly what others have said here.

1) Sirius, I spent a lot of time on Alt Nation. SiriusXMU, and the Spectrum.
2) Use the algorithms. Spotify, Youtube, and Apple Music will all recommend stuff based on what you like or listen to. Make sure you "save" the songs so that the app better learns what you like.
3) Reddit has two decent sub-Reddits: r/listentothis and r/indieheads that have new and interesting music.

I'm way past my prime. I used to spend a lot of time on music blogs finding new stuff and now I barely know anything.

Also used to listen to a lot of indie in college but less time to scout music now. So the indie heads year end lists are a great way to catch up.

Really liked the new Alvvays album. Enjoyed the 1975 too, though I'm convinced they're an AI-generated deep fake and we'll find out they never existed.

This is the original way
Opening acts

We saw Walk The Moon at Cat’s Cradle because they opened for Fitz and the Tantrums - who we actually went to see and left as fans

It’s how I found The Interruptors as well .

A festival is how I found ****ed Up and Lucero
I found Lucero from an episode of the Walking Dead. Actually found Ben Nichols there when they featured his song Last Pale Light in the West. Found out he was in Lucero and checked them out. Great band.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
We went to the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas concert & they actually performed Convoy. Chip Davis (Mannheim Steamroller) co-wrote the song. CW McCall passed away last year.
That’s outstanding trivia! I will definitely steal that to use when a MS Christmas song inevitably gets played at a holiday gathering next year. Of course only people of around my age will appreciate it…

Also used to listen to a lot of indie in college but less time to scout music now. So the indie heads year end lists are a great way to catch up.

Really liked the new Alvvays album. Enjoyed the 1975 too, though I'm convinced they're an AI-generated deep fake and we'll find out they never existed.

Lol totally agree about the 1975. I know almost nothing about them except they're very popular. I actually thought Harry Styles was in the band (and I'm not totally sure he isn't)?

Caamp is good too if you're looking for something that feels like living in Charlottesville again.

There's a lot of great music out now. You just have less time to enjoy it because you're an adult with responsibilities and it's harder to find since there are fewer mega bands that get huge amounts of promotion through a small number of radio and TV media. Everything is diffused on the cloud now and it can be a challenge to find new stuff.

I will say that hip-hop is definitely worse overall than it was from 1990-2010 or so. I think part of that is a lot of the talent dying young or going insane (Kanye). The "mumble rappers" as I like to call them all sound the same to me. Just fewer catchy hooks and stand outs.

Great station (non-commercial): WFUV-FM at Fordham University, lots of old, some interesting new
They have two special programs over the weekend:
4-8 pm Saturday - Mixed Bag
6-9 pm Sunday - Cavalcade

Past weekend programs on show archive if you want to check out.

Also try WTMD in Balto.

I just listened to Olivia Rodrigo album for the first time - some really great songs.
I know some of you are too cool for pop music .
But it’s terrific

Last edited:
Where do you find your new music these days?

I came of age in the 70s and 80s and Pittsburgh still had great, independent programming at radio stations. DVE and YDD were awesome then and you did get a chance to hear new music because the DJs helped you discover artists. Then corporate took over play lists and that all ended.

WXDX was a nice alternative in the beginning but they rarely play anything new.

Discovered a alt station in Phoenix called Alt AZ that finds newer artists but if I haven’t listened in a while and then go back they are still playing stuff that is a couple of years old as new.

I have Sirius but haven’t discovered anything that really caters to new stuff that is perhaps broader than a niche category.

i feel currently that social media experts are trying to feed us the next big thing without that thing having any real talent.

I don’t dislike Beyoncé but do I really think all of her Grammys were earned on talent alone and not on popularity.

So just curious if folks have sources for new music. I always love rock and alternative first but do enjoy R&B, Rap and other genres as well. Not Bluegrass though. Lol.
Another reason 70's/80's were better....

"Boy" bands wrote their own songs and played their own instruments.

OKay, now you got me going down a rabbit hole. See I really love music like this. I was a huge Elastica fan. She has alot of Justine Frischman in her.

This has been a fabulous thread. I have explored lots of the suggestions. On my Yamaha receiver I. Do get Net Radio and they access a lot of music through the world. A Warsaw Station…Nowy Swiat plays a cool mix of American new and classic rock plus some pretty cool Polish rock music.

On TuneIn, I found a Santa Monica College radio station playing some really great stuff.

Long Live Rock…….and tons of other cool sounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT