ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New stadium proposed for ‘The U’

I'd have gone with 50k. Although there's a very good chance they're filling it early on (because of both the novelty factory and the fact that I really do think the U is making a comeback).

I'd have gone with 50k. Although there's a very good chance they're filling it early on (because of both the novelty factory and the fact that I really do think the U is making a comeback).

I think 55 is probably the max size their stadium ever needs to be considering they rarely averaged that in even their best years. 50 is probably right to make sure it feels full every game.

looks nice but minus the oval. Get the fans as close to the field as possible without having the players die by running full speed into it.

It's funny, being in the ACC, so I occasionally watch at least parts of many Miami games. And I see Miami listed as averaging 55K a game and 86% capacity. And I am missing something. Because I usually see this...

october-19-2019-the-miami-hurricanes-miss-a-field-goal-against-the-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-during-a-college-football-game-at-the-hard-rock-stadium-in-miami-gardens-florida-georgia-tech-won-28-21-in-overtime-mario-houbencsm-2A5GJ3P.jpg

It's funny, being in the ACC, so I occasionally watch at least parts of many Miami games. And I see Miami listed as averaging 55K a game and 86% capacity. And I am missing something. Because I usually see this...

october-19-2019-the-miami-hurricanes-miss-a-field-goal-against-the-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-during-a-college-football-game-at-the-hard-rock-stadium-in-miami-gardens-florida-georgia-tech-won-28-21-in-overtime-mario-houbencsm-2A5GJ3P.jpg

They are notorious attendance over-inflators. I mean, Pitt cooks the books. But nothing like they do.

I didn't realize their campus was so far from Hard Rock. Per Google, it says over 20 miles. That can't help with the students.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

i know pitt fans are the last fanbase to call another fanbase out for fudging their attendance numbers BUT with that said, Miami takes it to another level. 55k for every home game? i agree with you, they are not even close..

It'd be a similar distance from campus and (sort of) similar size to our shared stadium on the north shore. Seems like a very expensive solution for a still off-campus stadium, especially one that won't be on the rail line either.

looks nice but minus the oval. Get the fans as close to the field as possible without having the players die by running full speed into it.
I think this is just a general artistic rendering because there's no way the bleachers would be anywhere near the way they are laid out in this proposal. A bit of Marlins Park feel and definitely has a modern style. It's not bad, probably oversized for the fanbase if they want packed stands every game.

I think this is just a general artistic rendering because there's no way the bleachers would be anywhere near the way they are laid out in this proposal. A bit of Marlins Park feel and definitely has a modern style. It's not bad, probably oversized for the fanbase if they want packed stands every game.

All sizes are actual. By God, it's a stadium for Floridian ants!

I was at the Pitt vs Miami game in 2016 at Hard Rock and they listed the attendance at 51k+. It was about the same amount of people that were at Heinz in 2017 and we listed it at a little under 36k. Miami had a few more people, but there is absolutely no way they were close to 51k+. The acoustics inside Hard Rock stadium were so obnoxious that I got headache after the game. The one nice thing is it had a partial roof that protected most people from the rain.

I've been conditioned to believe that any worthwhile stadium proposal should be rendered in MSPaint so this is pretty suspect.

Coral Gables is nice, but the old stadium was nasty and in a rough part of town.

Miami is a TINY school. Only 11K Under grad, 17K total. Which is the ACC's biggest problem. Only ONE school has an undergrad of over 30K and total over 40K and that is FSU. Then you have Duke, BC and Wake who are smaller than Miami.

The average enrollment for an ACC school is 26K.

The Big Ten only has one school under our average (Northwestern) and has 5 over 50K and 5 more over 45K.

Reactions: eyebugs
Coral Gables is nice, but the old stadium was nasty and in a rough part of town.
Where they are proposing to build is not in Coral Gables. They'd never get a stadium placed in Coral Gables. Where Ruiz is proposing is in a public park 3 or so miles due west. It is not something anyone is going to be walking to from their campus, but is probably the closest spot with any chance. Not much over there but I do remember a good dim sum place somewhere in that area.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Ironically this is the same distance as Acrisure to Pitt.....4 miles! hmmm

I’ve been pointing this out for years. Pitt’s “non campus stadium problem” is largely an invention of the Pgh sports media (dominated by the Nits and other Pitt enemies, as we know all too well).

The campus is in the city; therefore the city is the campus. it’s the University of Pittsburgh, not the University of Oakland. Pitt should be more vocal about that. Particularly when you note that Pitt began downtown; the medical arm of the university has its HQ downtown; the Observatory is on the north side, etc etc.

When I was taking grad classes at Pitt while working downtown, Pitt maintained class room space in the Union Trust Building. I think that particular space is no longer rented by Pitt. But It isn’t a stretch to conclude that Pitt can and has spread beyond Oakland.

There’s a spot on the walking trail on the South Side, a bit to the right of the Liberty Bridge. You stand and look over the Mon toward Downtown; to the extreme left you can catch a glimpse of Acrisure Stadium past the Point; and to the extreme right, the top of the Cathedral is visible over the top of the Hill and Bluff. I think the geography of the hills and rivers and the significant number of distinct (but very small) neighborhoods makes people think the distances are greater than they really are.

I’ve been pointing this out for years. Pitt’s “non campus stadium problem” is largely an invention of the Pgh sports media (dominated by the Nits and other Pitt enemies, as we know all too well).

The campus is in the city; therefore the city is the campus. it’s the University of Pittsburgh, not the University of Oakland. Pitt should be more vocal about that. Particularly when you note that Pitt began downtown; the medical arm of the university has its HQ downtown; the Observatory is on the north side, etc etc.

When I was taking grad classes at Pitt while working downtown, Pitt maintained class room space in the Union Trust Building. I think that particular space is no longer rented by Pitt. But It isn’t a stretch to conclude that Pitt can and has spread beyond Oakland.

There’s a spot on the walking trail on the South Side, a bit to the right of the Liberty Bridge. You stand and look over the Mon toward Downtown; to the extreme left you can catch a glimpse of Acrisure Stadium past the Point; and to the extreme right, the top of the Cathedral is visible over the top of the Hill and Bluff. I think the geography of the hills and rivers and the significant number of distinct (but very small) neighborhoods makes people think the distances are greater than they really are.
This is good and all, but still its not the easiest to get to for students. The non campus stadium problem is in large part due to the fact that the stadium isn't as accessible to students as those college stadiums where the students can just walk to it. However, it typically is accentuated by the early dismissal of students which we really didn't see too much last year. Hopefully it stays that way

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
I was at the Pitt vs Miami game in 2016 at Hard Rock and they listed the attendance at 51k+. It was about the same amount of people that were at Heinz in 2017 and we listed it at a little under 36k. Miami had a few more people, but there is absolutely no way they were close to 51k+. The acoustics inside Hard Rock stadium were so obnoxious that I got headache after the game. The one nice thing is it had a partial roof that protected most people from the rain.
I was at that game and I do remember it being very loud for the smallish crowd

This is good and all, but still its not the easiest to get to for students. The non campus stadium problem is in large part due to the fact that the stadium isn't as accessible to students as those college stadiums where the students can just walk to it. However, it typically is accentuated by the early dismissal of students which we really didn't see too much last year. Hopefully it stays that way
From the Nittany Garden Apartments in State College to Beaver Stadium it is 3.1 miles walking distance. From the Towers to Heinz Field, it is 3.8 miles walking distance. The difference is........what is between those two points.

Reactions: ThePanthers

Yes, it's most definitely off campus. But who knows, maybe Pitt opens an Allegheny campus someday and puts a few schools there.

From the Nittany Garden Apartments in State College to Beaver Stadium it is 3.1 miles walking distance. From the Towers to Heinz Field, it is 3.8 miles walking distance. The difference is........what is between those two points.
Certainly a good point, however, where Towers is a center point for where most Pitt students live, I'd contend most PSU students live closer than Nittany Garden Apartments, at least my friends did. However, my friends did live at least a mile to Beaver Stadium, and I imagine many off-campus students do as well, which is probably typical for a campus as big as theirs

Yes, it's most definitely off campus. But who knows, maybe Pitt opens an Allegheny campus someday and puts a few schools there.
Right. They could do what WVU did and put a one dorm over by their off-campus stadium so they can call it "on campus."

FIU is 8 miles away. But guessing ACC would not go for that shared concept. It would never fly up here but as small as it is Pitt and other majors have travelled to FIU and lets be honest for a nice trip to South Florida. But a pipe dream , of the smoked type, take out Schenely plaza and replace with that. It looks like something that basic could fit in between Hillman and Carnegie and not break the bank. But without a track that would not cover the only other sport without a "home" :/

Where they are proposing to build is not in Coral Gables. They'd never get a stadium placed in Coral Gables. Where Ruiz is proposing is in a public park 3 or so miles due west. It is not something anyone is going to be walking to from their campus, but is probably the closest spot with any chance. Not much over there but I do remember a good dim sum place somewhere in that area.
I'm talking about the campus...coral gables. Not the location of the new stadium.

Leaving early does happen, but showing up has not been much of a problem for the student section. It's the rest of the stadium that needs to show up to games.

Does anyone think Miami will actually build this?

How many vegan restaurants in the area are open at 2:00 am?

Reactions: FireballZ
Certainly a good point, however, where Towers is a center point for where most Pitt students live, I'd contend most PSU students live closer than Nittany Garden Apartments, at least my friends did. However, my friends did live at least a mile to Beaver Stadium, and I imagine many off-campus students do as well, which is probably typical for a campus as big as theirs
My point here, and I also lived in Morgantown, but most campuses in small cities are spread out all over the city. The relationship of Pitt's campus and old Pitt stadium was an anomaly, where you likely had no more than a 1/2-3/4 mile walk to Pitt Stadium anywhere on campus.

Even in Morgantown, there is a large portion of student housing 2 miles and a mountain (okay hill) away from Mountaineer Field. But the PRT really helps.

But all large campuses will have this. Pitt's issue, is obviously unique as you do not have "walk through" neighborhoods from campus to Heinz with the Hill and Downtown in between. Also, a bit problematic for mass transport.

How many vegan restaurants in the area are open at 2:00 am?

In that area, probably none. It wasn't a trendy area of Miami at all. But I don't know, I've never gone to a vegan restaurant, and never intend to, plus I haven't lived down there in quite a while. The dim sum place was located in a strip mall...very much a local place. It's not like there were a lot of great dim sum locations in Miami when I lived there. Also not great Mexican and was surprisingly deficient in some other types of food. You often had to drive out of your way.

Last edited:
Leaving early does happen, but showing up has not been much of a problem for the student section. It's the rest of the stadium that needs to show up to games.

Does anyone think Miami will actually build this?
I can’t imagine there would be true commitment for this, let alone actual ground breaking, until Miami gets included in one of the Great Big Super Wonderful Conferences. I’ve little doubt that Miami will be included, but it would be wild risk to invest in something that costs so much with such a big footprint, without at least the assurance of inclusion (though I’d prefer to see it actually in motion).

Even if the initial construction is bankrolled by donors and/or the municipal government, building it before would still would create a pretty massive white elephant if things fell through. Until that assurance, they can only count on the revenue they’ll get in the current ACC deal at best. And given how long that deal is still to run, this is really just a little more than pretty JPG.

All IMO of course.

My point here, and I also lived in Morgantown, but most campuses in small cities are spread out all over the city. The relationship of Pitt's campus and old Pitt stadium was an anomaly, where you likely had no more than a 1/2-3/4 mile walk to Pitt Stadium anywhere on campus.
The proximity of the old stadium to campus didn't exactly fill up the student section, either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT