ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft QBs and the Steelers

pittbb80

Chancellor
Oct 9, 2004
There may be a very good potential franchise QB available to the Steelers when they pick. Either Haskins or Jones could be available.

At some point the Steelers need to draft Bens successor. Clearly they need to focus on defense but if one of these guys is available do you take him this year or wait and move up in a loaded 20 draft.

Randolf and Dobbs are not the answer. Would be a tough call

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/s...-draft-quarterback-class-everything-need-know

There may be a very good potential franchise QB available to the Steelers when they pick. Either Haskins or Jones could be available.

At some point the Steelers need to draft Bens successor. Clearly they need to focus on defense but if one of these guys is available do you take him this year or wait and move up in a loaded 20 draft.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/s...-draft-quarterback-class-everything-need-know
Rudolph could be though.

They made a big mistake in drafting Randolf. He was not on any draft boards.....

They made a big mistake in drafting Randolf. He was not on any draft boards.....

Agree. He looked completely out of place and is not a plus athlete......at least not in terms of escaping the rush. IMO it was waste of a third round pick when they desperately need talent on defense.

Agree. He looked completely out of place and is not a plus athlete......at least not in terms of escaping the rush. IMO it was waste of a third round pick when they desperately need talent on defense.

LegalPleasingGreatwhiteshark-small.gif

Notable third round picks

Justin Reid S Texas. 3 picks. WOuld have been a better pick than Edmonds even
Lorenzo Carter NYG
Mark Andrews TE Ravens

To be fair,

We don't know if Rudolph is or is not the answer. I would not write him off so easily.

If u take a QB with your first round pick you still have not addressed the most glaring need on this team

Which is a playmaking inside linebacker to compliment Watt and replace Shazier.

FWIW, I saw some mock draft that has the Steelers taking Fitzgerald from Miss State in the second round, reminding people that everyone has a mock draft , but only a handful are worthy of reading.

We don't know if Rudolph is or is not the answer. I would not write him off so easily.

If u take a QB with your first round pick you still have not addressed the most glaring need on this team

Yeah, Rudolph wasn't a "bad" third round pick if you view him on his own merits and the fact that he was still available when that pick happened.

The Steelers have a franchise QB and that hasn't put them in the SB for the last seven or eight years. I don't know that finding the next one is a huge priority at the moment.

The Steelers have a franchise QB and that hasn't put them in the SB for the last seven or eight years. I don't know that finding the next one is a huge priority at the moment.
How many Super Bowls have these "Franchise QBs" gotten into?

Brees
Rodgers
Rivers

We always hear how these guys are way better than Ben, so where is the hardware?

Why should they worry about Ben’s successor? He’s going to play 3 more years. The next year, play some scrub, suck bad and get a top 10 pick and get your QB then.

Haskins might be going #1 overall and Jones probably top 10.

Why a redshirt year, if he's better than Dobbs why wasn't he in vs. Oakland?
Is this really that big of deal?? Aaron Rodgers attempted a total of 30 passes his first two seasons, all in a mopup role........and he was a 1st rd pick.

This was essentially a red shirt year for Rudolph. It is absolutely hilarious to see people already writing him off.
Exactly. I’ve always been a fan of his on and off the field. He’s a quality human being, unlike the steeler franchise QB.

But if Ben plans on being around another few years, I’d look to trade him, tank the year after Ben retires and get yourself another QB high in the draft.

How many Super Bowls have these "Franchise QBs" gotten into?

Brees
Rodgers
Rivers

We always hear how these guys are way better than Ben, so where is the hardware?

I don't know. That has nothing to do with the Steelers. Dan Marino never won a SB but he was a good bit better than Ben. I really don't think franchise QB should be all that high on the Steelers list at the moment.

I don't know. That has nothing to do with the Steelers. Dan Marino never won a SB but he was a good bit better than Ben. I really don't think franchise QB should be all that high on the Steelers list at the moment.
Just you seemed to be criticizing Ben for not getting to the Super Bowl for 8 years, just saying, Marino, great example, one of the GOATs made it once and couldn't finish.

Exactly. I’ve always been a fan of his on and off the field. He’s a quality human being, unlike the steeler franchise QB.

But if Ben plans on being around another few years, I’d look to trade him, tank the year after Ben retires and get yourself another QB high in the draft.

Kid showed nothing in ore season against scrubs. If he was a legit NFL QB he’d have shown some flashes. He also couldn’t beat out Dobbs who’s awful. If he were a legit talent he’d have beaten out Dobbs

As far as needing QB for sure the Steelers don’t need one this year. But if one falls in your lap who is a legit NFL talent do you take them. Also it’s clear that if Ben does get hurt they are screwed

OLB
ILB
WR
Safety
OL

Are where my first 5 picks would go.

They need a cb that can come in and start tomorrow, don’t play with draft picks. I’m a big fan of Jason Verrett as a bounce back player from 2 injuries, give him a prove it contract. Tomlin will have interest in Roby since he’s an OSU guy.

The Steelers seemed to make the error in assuming Rudolph and Washington's stellar highlight tapes against Big 12 (and Pitt's) excuses for defenses would transfer to a league where they still (occasionally) play solid defense

Kid showed nothing in ore season against scrubs. If he was a legit NFL QB he’d have shown some flashes. He also couldn’t beat out Dobbs who’s awful. If he were a legit talent he’d have beaten out Dobbs

As far as needing QB for sure the Steelers don’t need one this year. But if one falls in your lap who is a legit NFL talent do you take them. Also it’s clear that if Ben does get hurt they are screwed
You very well could be right. But I’m not writing off a kid due to playing a small sample size —with scrubs and against scrubs.

OLB
ILB
WR
Safety
OL

Are where my first 5 picks would go.

They need a cb that can come in and start tomorrow, don’t play with draft picks. I’m a big fan of Jason Verrett as a bounce back player from 2 injuries, give him a prove it contract. Tomlin will have interest in Roby since he’s an OSU guy.

They need two DBs. Safety’s are ok if they can add talent at DB ILB and DT.

They have been poor against the run when it counts so I think they need to get stronger up the middle

I’d go all in in defense with the exception of RB and OL. Clearly they won’t be able to adress all the needs in the draft and will need to dip into FA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT