ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NHL expanding to Atlanta via John Buccigross

But why does MLS draw so well in Atlanta?
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

Reactions: pittdan77
According to Buccigross, Houston would be team 34. I actually recall back in 2015 when the initial expansion talks started that they wanted to expand to 34 and not just 32 (link). It was speculated at the time that a second Toronto team would be a possibility as well, but Houston makes sense for a lot sense for the same reasons that Atlanta does.

As for Quebec City, I think they’ll remain a negotiation tactic until someone finally relocates there. Don’t see them getting expansion team this time around, either.
Houston was a popular team in the WHA, Gordie Howe played there with his sons and they won championships, Interesting that they haven't been considered before, Sad for Quebec and other Canadian cities that would actually sell out their arenas.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The thing I’ve wondered with cities such as Portland or Salt Lake City is whether an NHL team could be viable since the only other major pro sport they have is going on at the same time (NBA). Would that affect fan’s ability or willingness to spend more on one versus the other versus both? I’m not sure.
Well, the fans of the NHL don't necessarily care about the NBA, as long as there's hockey fans in big enough numbers in those cities, maybe you could support both. I don't know how popular hockey is in those places.

Could Pittsburgh support an NBA team? I don't know? I don't think of Pittsburgh as a basketball town, or more of a college basketball town. Pittsburgh never really had a chance with pro basketball. They had the ABA but as I remember it didn't even get on local TV, I don't even think the ABA had a national TV contract back then? I Was a big NBA fan back then, and I would have watched the Condors if it was possible.

Last edited:
The thing I’ve wondered with cities such as Portland or Salt Lake City is whether an NHL team could be viable since the only other major pro sport they have is going on at the same time (NBA).
Another thing about viability of a sports venture, I was reading a discussion about how the XFL would survive, the thought was they scheduled a game UP AGAINST the Daytona 500, my thought was so what? if there's enough football fans that don't care at all about car racing, or even know that the Daytona 500 is on at that day or time, it shouldn't matter. Makes me wonder about sports fans? Myself, I like certain sports and not others, If the world championship of a sport I don't like is on, up against a minor league game of a sport I do like, I'm skipping the world championship for the bush league game. Are there sports fans that watch whatever is the BIGGEST event no matter the sport?

I’m not sure why this thread is so long when this is fake news by Buccigross. There’s a difference between someone trying to organize an expansion ownership group and the NHL actually doing it, which is not imminent.

Another thing about viability of a sports venture, I was reading a discussion about how the XFL would survive, the thought was they scheduled a game UP AGAINST the Daytona 500, my thought was so what? if there's enough football fans that don't care at all about car racing, or even know that the Daytona 500 is on at that day or time, it shouldn't matter. Makes me wonder about sports fans? Myself, I like certain sports and not others, If the world championship of a sport I don't like is on, up against a minor league game of a sport I do like, I'm skipping the world championship for the bush league game. Are there sports fans that watch whatever is the BIGGEST event no matter the sport?
All very good points. I’m sure these leagues have data somewhere backing up why they do or do not schedule games when they do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT