ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penn State suffering from (runway) size anxiety

NKSplitter

Freshman
Jul 5, 2001
I'm not a flight expert, so I don't know what FAA regulations are in play here. Apparently because of the shorter length of the runways at the State College airport compared to international airports; the largest plane Penn State is able to charter from the airport does not have the fuel capacity to fly to Los Angeles as a direct flight. Because of this, to take a direct flight to LA for this weekend's game at USC; Penn State is taking a bus to and flying out of the Harrisburg airport. Yet another benefit and joy of coast-to-coast conference expansion.

James Franklin is calling to have the State College Airport's runways extended so this won't be an issue in the future; so, I'm sure Penn State donors will throw enough money at the problem that the State College airport will be bigger than Pittsburgh International within 10 years.

James Franklin believes it's time to extend the runways at Penn State's regional airport

I'm not a flight expert, so I don't know what FAA regulations are in play here. Apparently because of the shorter length of the runways at the State College airport compared to international airports; the largest plane Penn State is able to charter from the airport does not have the fuel capacity to fly to Los Angeles as a direct flight. Because of this, to take a direct flight to LA for this weekend's game at USC; Penn State is taking a bus to and flying out of the Harrisburg airport. Yet another benefit and joy of coast-to-coast conference expansion.

James Franklin is calling to have the State College Airport's runways extended so this won't be an issue in the future; so, I'm sure Penn State donors will throw enough money at the problem that the State College airport will be bigger than Pittsburgh International within 10 years.

James Franklin believes it's time to extend the runways at Penn State's regional airport
This isn’t the first time he’s flown to LA as the Ped St coach. He’s just setting up an excuse in case they lose.

Reactions: columbus mike

I assume the west coast teams will need to do the same when they are scheduled to play football in Happy Valley? Fly to Harrisburg and bus in / out. Fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT