ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Peter Gabriel I/O

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Have been checking out some videos as he is not touring my area, but amazed at the quality of his new album and how he can still hit the range of the original key of his work. I read that the “new” stuff was written over the last 25 plus years and is worth a listen if you haven’t. The court, I/O, panopticon are solid. Was a huge fan of Genesis and also a pleasant reprieve given how time has treated Collins health wise recently…

Phil Collins is an enigma. He is everything that is right with Genesis and everything that is wrong with Genesis at the same time.

Reactions: Saboteur II
GIF by moodman

Reactions: BurghGuy68
Phil Collins is an enigma. He is everything that is right with Genesis and everything that is wrong with Genesis at the same time.
They peaked with Phil and the “Genesis” album in 83. It had something for everyone. Straight pop with “That’s All”, slow contemplative song for the chicks (“Taking It All Too Hard”), Eerie songs like “Mama” and “Home By The Sea”, some of the long prog stuff the nerdy stoners liked, a little of the EWF horn fusion that Collins had introduced in his solo stuff, and the most hilarious non-PC song/video that could never, ever be made today (“Illegal Alien”). Played that disc smooth. Even the ‘filler’ songs like “A Job To do” were quality efforts.

But then Phil Collins became PHIL COLLINS at that point, he was like Shaq, Kevin Hart, and Peyton Manning combined, you couldn’t avoid him. Miami Vice, Live Aid, “soo-soo-soo-dio, Paul”, drumming for freaking Zeppelin, making records with Clapton, even a dorky movie. And the Genesis offerings afterward were straight schlock.

Last edited:
Reactions: OH Pete
Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Sussudio is a great, great song. A personal favorite.

Do you like Phil Collins?

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism.

Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist.

Sussudio is a great, great song. A personal favorite.
I’m biased, as I came of age of sorts in that period, but I enjoyed the Gabriel, Collins and post-prog Genesis period. None of the three were never my first choice at any given time, but no doubt their songs were a big part of the soundtrack of those years.

The old proggy Genesis held no particular appeal for me.

i actually prefer the old proggy (Gabriel Era) Genesis..

I caught a Steve Hackett show about a year ago.. he played all the songs from the genesis live album SECONDS OUT..

- Supper's Ready
- Firth of Fifth
- Cinema Show
- I know what I like
- etc..

He had a pretty good collection of musicians with him, and despite Steve's age he is still an amazing guitar player.. really good show..

I'm curious about Gabriel's tour.. I may need to check that out..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT