ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Phillies, Blue Jays and Lightning shut down facilities - Clemson reports 28 cases

It is time to shut down sports. There is no need for them anymore.
For now, shut it down for awhile and move forward. Been saying this for awhile now but some on here are experts and say otherwise. But the tv $$$ etc ,give it a rest geeezzzzz.

For now, shut it down for awhile and move forward. Been saying this for awhile now but some on here are experts and say otherwise. But the tv $$$ etc ,give it a rest geeezzzzz.
Probably best to shut it down forever. We don’t need this. We should not have this in our new society.

Probably best to shut it down forever. We don’t need this. We should not have this in our new society.
No the new society should value humanity and due without sports for a season. Is that so much to ask? Concentrate more on getting back to work etc. Bread and circus can be put on hold. I look forward to attending Pitt basketball and football games but not going to mope and cry over it. Priorities come first and alot don't have theirs in the proper perspectives.

No the new society should value humanity and due without sports for a season. Is that so much to ask? Concentrate more on getting back to work etc. Bread and circus can be put on hold. I look forward to attending Pitt basketball and football games but not going to mope and cry over it. Priorities come first and alot don't have theirs in the proper perspectives.
But sports is just unnecessary. We don’t need to have unnecessary things ever. Just making sure people prepare for life with less.

It is interesting, because due to the contagion, this could mean half of a team couldn't participate for 2 weeks. What happens if this happens in the playoffs?

It is interesting, because due to the contagion, this could mean half of a team couldn't participate for 2 weeks. What happens if this happens in the playoffs?

I could very well be mistaken, but I believe most programs are only testing symptomatic players during the season. Currently, they are testing every player as they arrive.

I believe that the NFL plans to test multiple times per week, but as testing becomes more frequent, it’s becoming apparent that the prevalence of this is much higher than we thought. Would not surprise me to see them reverse course and only test symptomatic players as well

SMF Might be right. The season might be best played without interruption if it starts in late winter early spring. That is providing there are vaccines and medicines that could mitigate this. I was optimistic about the season a week ago but recent spikes and Faucis recent statements make me wonder. Basketball might be in bigger trouble because it is played indoors.

Until a vaccine is developed and distributed the carrot of sports will be dangled, but not possible. Probably fall of 2021 imo. On a selfish note that will be terrible because Pitt’s defense has a chance to be special this year.

Until a vaccine is developed and distributed the carrot of sports will be dangled, but not possible. Probably fall of 2021 imo. On a selfish note that will be terrible because Pitt’s defense has a chance to be special this year.

If the hs football season were to start tomorrow, it would be played albeit without fans.

SMF Might be right. The season might be best played without interruption if it starts in late winter early spring. That is providing there are vaccines and medicines that could mitigate this. I was optimistic about the season a week ago but recent spikes and Faucis recent statements make me wonder. Basketball might be in bigger trouble because it is played indoors.

For the life of me, I cant understand why a football season MUST be played in the fall. No fans, tons of players missing games, gsmes being canceled. Just play in the winter/spring and if guys dont want to play because they want to get ready for the draft, fine. College football will survive without those 20 players.

There are 460,000 NCAA athletes in that age group. 1% of that is a big enough number, it seems kind of callous to be so dismissive about.

So stats are constantly being changed but according to what I've seen. This age group has IFR of .0003%. This age group is asymptomatic 99.26% of the time.

Influenza has a .2% death rate for this age group. This is with a vaccine.

Influenza up until this point has been measured to be more deadly than Covid-19 for this age group.

Would we consider ending activities for this age group because of influenza?

I tend to believe that these athletes being closely monitored and having access to world class healthcare they would have even better outcomes than what is published. Not to mention, the transmission of this virus is being studied and it's hypothesized that the transmission outdoors is less than indoors. I'm trying to understand how playing football is anymore of a risk than this age group just living their day to day lives. Unless you're going to have them on total lockdown like we were months ago.

I'm not being callous. It's just risk analysis.

If we knew what we know now about this virus and from the jump the elderly and at-risk populations were quarantined, would we have a global crisis?

So stats are constantly being changed but according to what I've seen. This age group has IFR of .0003%. This age group is asymptomatic 99.26% of the time.

Influenza has a .2% death rate for this age group. This is with a vaccine.

Influenza up until this point has been measured to be more deadly than Covid-19 for this age group.

Would we consider ending activities for this age group because of influenza?

I tend to believe that these athletes being closely monitored and having access to world class healthcare they would have even better outcomes than what is published. Not to mention, the transmission of this virus is being studied and it's hypothesized that the transmission outdoors is less than indoors. I'm trying to understand how playing football is anymore of a risk than this age group just living their day to day lives. Unless you're going to have them on total lockdown like we were months ago.

I'm not being callous. It's just risk analysis.

We don’t make decisions just based on who dies. The hospitalization rates, cost of care, and length of illness all matter, too. Several of these kids may end up with long term health issues. I get risk but nobody has enough information yet to do that.

The problem with COVID is that a lot of amateurs are making decisions for everyone because they’re bored with taking precautions and have convinced themselves its everyone else’s problem.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
There are 460,000 NCAA athletes in that age group. 1% of that is a big enough number, it seems kind of callous to be so dismissive about.
Do you really think that if all sports are canceled then the 460,000 NCAA athletes will just say, "Aw shucks. Our season's canceled. Guess I will social distance instead from home now?" No they would be out and about and be just as at risk or worse from the virus. NONE of the young people in my area have social distanced from day 1. And many NCAA athletes wouldn't have easy access to first class medical care, food, etc from home.

With a reasonable plan, NCAA athletes would be as safe if not safer participating in sports than staying home and NOT social distancing.

Now liability is a different story. They would have to work out those details out.

Do you really think that if all sports are canceled then the 460,000 NCAA athletes will just say, "Aw shucks. Our season's canceled. Guess I will social distance instead from home now?" No they would be out and about and be just as at risk or worse from the virus. NONE of the young people in my area have social distanced from day 1. And many NCAA athletes wouldn't have easy access to first class medical care, food, etc from home.

With a reasonable plan, NCAA athletes would be as safe if not safer participating in sports than staying home and NOT social distancing.

Now liability is a different story. They would have to work out those details out.

Well, it would help if some of the adults in te room set a good example (wear masks, distance, take precautions) but some people think having these kids provide entertainment is more important.

The point is should schools risk their health and their families health for entertainment
Remember -they are expressly student athletes
So protecting students is the priority

Well, it would help if some of the adults in te room set a good example (wear masks, distance, take precautions) but some people think having these kids provide entertainment is more important.
Let the kids and their families decide with consultation from medical professionals. What do you think they would decide?

The point is should schools risk their health and their families health for entertainment
Remember -they are expressly student athletes
So protecting students is the priority
How is playing sports under controlled conditions with easy access to medical professionals, testing, etc less safe than them staying home and not social distancing anyway? Some of these athletes come from poor situations and packed homes. They have limited resources and limited access to medical services.

How is playing sports under controlled conditions with easy access to medical professionals, testing, etc less safe than them staying home and not social distancing anyway? Some of these athletes come from poor situations and packed homes. They have limited resources and limited access to medical services.

Of course its more safe for them to be in a controlled setting, getting tested every week or so but I don't think you can have any semblance of a season if entire teams have to be in quarantine at times. Like I said, Troy might wind up national champs after they go 12-0 on forfeits. This is so stupid. Move it to the 2nd semester and hope there's a vaccine by then.

They can simply be in their dorms and apartments and taking classes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT