ADVERTISEMENT

OT: PIT airport TSA line / CLEAR

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
Ever since PIT airport added CLEAR, the lines for both regular TSA and TSA-Precheck have been longer than ever, even pre-pandemic era. Now they are shepherding TSA Precheck holders to the alternate security area - on a different floor - but the CLEAR people with TSA Precheck get to keep an express lane in the main area:

I can't believe this madness is allowed. CLEAR is a private for-profit company that gets to dictate how long other taxpayers have to wait to use a government service. Moreover, I pay a premium for TSA Precheck, also a government service, and still get trumped by a for profit company and have to waste my time hoofing it to another floor to go throgh TSA Pre...which kind of defeats the purpose of paying for expedited service.

I think someone needs to file a lawsuit on the legality of CLEAR, with respect to access to a public service which should be equal access for all.

I recently flew to Santo Domingo a week ago. This was the worst traveling experience I've had going to and coming back. The wait times with TSA were insane. Hopefully, this gets better.

Ever since PIT airport added CLEAR, the lines for both regular TSA and TSA-Precheck have been longer than ever, even pre-pandemic era. Now they are shepherding TSA Precheck holders to the alternate security area - on a different floor - but the CLEAR people with TSA Precheck get to keep an express lane in the main area:

I can't believe this madness is allowed. CLEAR is a private for-profit company that gets to dictate how long other taxpayers have to wait to use a government service. Moreover, I pay a premium for TSA Precheck, also a government service, and still get trumped by a for profit company and have to waste my time hoofing it to another floor to go throgh TSA Pre...which kind of defeats the purpose of paying for expedited service.

I think someone needs to file a lawsuit on the legality of CLEAR, with respect to access to a public service which should be equal access for all.

Can't be true. I just heard the economy was in shambles and everyone was broke.

I love blaming clear, but legit it is like 1 person per minute. These are hours of lines.

Also, moving pre check for morning hours doesn't work versus putting the alternative at full capacity. Guessing it is actually TSA staffing levels more than anything.

Record travel through PIT

They don't have the May numbers up on the web site yet, but in April there were 807,272 total passengers at Pittsburgh International, which brought the yearly total to 2,907,851.

Contrast that with April of 2019, when there were only 805,299 total passengers, which brought the yearly total to 2,933,565. Why that's an increase in the total number of passengers year to date of, ah, hmm, ah, er....

Never mind.

They don't have the May numbers up on the web site yet, but in April there were 807,272 total passengers at Pittsburgh International, which brought the yearly total to 2,907,851.

Contrast that with April of 2019, when there were only 805,299 total passengers, which brought the yearly total to 2,933,565. Why that's an increase in the total number of passengers year to date of, ah, hmm, ah, er....

Never mind.
Wait till all the Furries fly in next month

haha - there are a lot of travelers at PIT airport, which would make lines longer regardless, but my issue is mainly with CLEAR, not waiting in general

They have added new flights, record number of travelers while doing a major renovation because... you know, the economy is so bad. Lol.

The construction temporary but until it's over- PIT is suggesting to not fly between 5am and 8am if possible. There's just not enough lanes to add more TSA workers because... you know.... the economy is so terrible. 🙄

Never mind.

Get back to me with the June numbers.

Never mind.
Right, there's no additional people traveling Pittsburgh airport, which is why they're actually making it smaller. The problem is staffing and having lanes open. I keep hearing how the new airport is going to fix everything, but based what's going on with construction, let's say I'm sceptical. Construction is a disaster, just like anything the county undertakes.

People believe anything they're told. This 3 hours before a flight is pure nonsense because of a terribly run system.

I waited 30 minutes in the TSA line last week. That's never happened before. Wait until Pit gets the new luggage scanners, it will be worse.

Last edited:
I took a trip in mid May. 6am flight to west coast. The lines were backed up through the double doors and another 30 yards They have issues with the people upstairs checking bags or doing something at the counters. Those people come down either escalator and cut through to get to the back of the lines. The current TSA pre check line becomes mangled with the peons. Maybe just a few more TSA people doing pedestrian traffic help would work. It’s just a goofy set up.

We were in line for 52 minutes. The mornings are just horrendous for congestion. I have heard it was worse in June.

Right, there's no additional people traveling Pittsburgh airport, which is why they're actually making it smaller. The problem is staffing and having lanes open. I keep hearing how the new airport is going to fix everything, but based what's going on with construction, let's say I'm sceptical. Construction is a disaster, just like anything the county undertakes.

People believe anything they're told. This 3 hours before a flight is pure nonsense because of a terribly run system.

I waited 30 minutes in the TSA line last week. That's never happened before. Wait until Pit gets the new luggage scanners, it will be worse.

🤔

Get back to me with the June numbers.

I have no doubt that the June numbers will show that there are now slightly more people flying out of Pittsburgh than there were five years ago.

The fact that you think that things finally getting back to where they were five years ago is a sign of a great economy is just another example for the list that shows how clueless you can be.

And it's a long list.

Reactions: Millerton
Right, there's no additional people traveling Pittsburgh airport, which is why they're actually making it smaller.

That's the things that's so funny about all this. 25 years ago there were over 20 million people going through the airport in an average year. Today, SMF thinks that the fact that last year they had a little over 9 million passengers, and they are on pace to better that by a little bit this year, is record travel.

In fact, and I mean this literally, if every single person that flies out of Pittsburgh this year had brought a travel buddy with them, doubling the number of passengers, that would almost be the actual record.

Almost, but not quite.

Those lines being that long is simply rank incompetence from TSA. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: BFo8
I have no doubt that the June numbers will show that there are now slightly more people flying out of Pittsburgh than there were five years ago.

The fact that you think that things finally getting back to where they were five years ago is a sign of a great economy is just another example for the list that shows how clueless you can be.

And it's a long list.

There are far more metrics that show just how strong the economy is. The lines at PIT is far down the list. I have said this before. We are basically Qatar now. Everyone is rich.

Reactions: BurghGuy68
That's the things that's so funny about all this. 25 years ago there were over 20 million people going through the airport in an average year. Today, SMF thinks that the fact that last year they had a little over 9 million passengers, and they are on pace to better that by a little bit this year, is record travel.

In fact, and I mean this literally, if every single person that flies out of Pittsburgh this year had brought a travel buddy with them, doubling the number of passengers, that would almost be the actual record.

Almost, but not quite.

Those lines being that long is simply rank incompetence from TSA. Nothing more, nothing less.

I hate doing but SMF is close to making you look like an uneducated fool here so I'll do it to save you some of the embarrassment of being owned by SMF.

20 years ago the majority of the passengers never went through the checkpoint because PIT was a hub back then. Typically, only 5 million or so of the 20 million needed to use the checkpoint the rest were connecting flight passengers. This year PIT, will have over 10 million people going through the TSA checkpoint. That's what has changed. There's twice as many passengers using the checkpoints.

A little advice.

Do the math.
Admit you have no idea what you are talking about.
Apologize to SMF and the hard working people of the TSA.

It's f'n embarrassing how many people are this simple minded.

I saw footage from this morning where the non-Precheck TSA line was backed all the way down the hallway with the people movers to the furthest exit to the parking lot. For realz...

I saw footage from this morning where the non-Precheck TSA line was backed all the way down the hallway with the people movers to the furthest exit to the parking lot. For realz...

Heard they were lined up all the way to the hotel. This economy is sucks. These are hard times for all. Im trying to go to go to a good Copa America game but cant get a ticket less than a grand. I sort of wished there would be an economic downturn. That's what we need for these prices to come down.

Can't be true. I just heard the economy was in shambles and everyone was broke.

Credit card Debt at an all time high. Everyone wants everything now. Then they will cry about their SS doesn’t give them enough to retire on. I get it not everybody can be rich like me, but for Christ sake invest some money….

There are far more metrics that show just how strong the economy is. The lines at PIT is far down the list. I have said this before. We are basically Qatar now. Everyone is rich.

The rich have gotten way richer since Covid. The Dummies that are poor have gotten way poorer. Always been that way in America though. Love this country…

Except for KennyHeisman who is upset he cannot get a cool penthouse type apartment in the Strip for less than $800 a month. :)

I was in the Strip for the first time since before Covid. When did that happen? Its like a cool wholw new neighborhood. I swear you can stack up some cardboard boxes nowadays anywhere and get a few grand in rent. The US has become Dubai.

Credit card Debt at an all time high. Everyone wants everything now. Then they will cry about their SS doesn’t give them enough to retire on. I get it not everybody can be rich like me, but for Christ sake invest some money….
My credit card debt is at its all time low. (Zero). I have like $75,000 credit and don't need it. When I needed credit, couldn't get it and my limits were full.

This is why buying a house is so important, because it does set you up on a path if you buy within your means. Then you know, work hard. Sometimes shit happens that is out of your control, but go work and sometimes do things you don't want to like move, get up really early, stay really late, finish stuff assigned to you on time, don't be a baby. Somehow we have taught the latest generation that they are suckers and the rich are using them. Use the rich. Play their game. Be a value and usually things work out.

Reactions: TitoBeagle
I think a lot of people are flying now because they came into some disposable income when their student loan balances were transferred from them personally to all taxpayers collectively.

• Haha

Totally agree. Don’t care for Clear. Problem is they get to bypass us in TSA Precheck. It’s crap.

I am thankful I do not have to travel much for work anymore! Heard from friends that the Pgh Airport is not properly staffed or set up to screen people in a decent timeframe. Maybe the new airport will address this!

I think a lot of people are flying now because they came into some disposable income when their student loan balances were transferred from them personally to all taxpayers collectively.

That was overturned. I think what you are seeing are those over about 35 are rich AF because they bought houses before Covid. Student loans mosty paid off. The younger generation have tons of student loans and cant afford a house.

I am thankful I do not have to travel much for work anymore! Heard from friends that the Pgh Airport is not properly staffed or set up to screen people in a decent timeframe. Maybe the new airport will address this!
My family had zero problems Thursday evening - didn’t wait 5 minutes
Just saying

🤔
I don't need these articles to tell me we're finally back to 2019 numbers, but staffed like it's 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT