ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question on offensive and defensive sets

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
I am getting ready to coach 7th grade AAU. I am playing around with different ideas for offenses and defenses. Texas runs an interesting full court press called Havoc. And Virginia runs the Pack Defense. I am not sure about offense yet. Although I love screening for the bam handler and I like how Michigan State runs their offense when they are doing a dribble hand off.

Does anyone have any thoughts on offensive and defensive plays for the 7th grade age group? My best player is my 5ft 9in point guard who can get to the rim at will. He is really good and will play college ball I believe. And I have a bunch of very quick scrappy kids.

Thanks and I appreciate any ideas and thoughts.

I am getting ready to coach 7th grade AAU. I am playing around with different ideas for offenses and defenses. Texas runs an interesting full court press called Havoc. And Virginia runs the Pack Defense. I am not sure about offense yet. Although I love screening for the bam handler and I like how Michigan State runs their offense when they are doing a dribble hand off.

Does anyone have any thoughts on offensive and defensive plays for the 7th grade age group? My best player is my 5ft 9in point guard who can get to the rim at will. He is really good and will play college ball I believe. And I have a bunch of very quick scrappy kids.

Thanks and I appreciate any ideas and thoughts.

1-2-1-1 press on defense. Unfortunately, kids that young aren't good enough ball handlers so the offenses will turn it over like crazy. I don't think presses should be allowed until HS for this reason.

I'd probably do a lot of run-out high ball screens so your top player can get to the rim.

Reactions: rockypanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT