ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rarely Seen Pic of the 1960 World Series...

Those are three great pictures. My father was music teacher in West Mifflin in 50's and early 60's. He got a gig playing with the Pirate pep band that would walk around the game playing. He was scheduled to play for game 6 of the WS in 1960. His principal was cool about it and allowed him to take school off to do it. Too bad it was one of the games the Yanks won like 12-0. Anyway, the next day my Dad was looking at the Pgh Press that evening, and on the front page was a picture of Danny Murtaugh and Casey Stengel shaking hands before the ballgame and right behind them coming down the aisle was my Dad carrying his trombone case as clear as could be. He cut it out and kept it in his dresser drawer for years. It yellowed over the years. When he passed away in 2011, I wanted that picture but he must have pitched it. I've been looking for a way to see if the PG still has any old archived Press pics to review, but I can't find any websites, or a phone number to call.

Those are three great pictures. My father was music teacher in West Mifflin in 50's and early 60's. He got a gig playing with the Pirate pep band that would walk around the game playing. He was scheduled to play for game 6 of the WS in 1960. His principal was cool about it and allowed him to take school off to do it. Too bad it was one of the games the Yanks won like 12-0. Anyway, the next day my Dad was looking at the Pgh Press that evening, and on the front page was a picture of Danny Murtaugh and Casey Stengel shaking hands before the ballgame and right behind them coming down the aisle was my Dad carrying his trombone case as clear as could be. He cut it out and kept it in his dresser drawer for years. It yellowed over the years. When he passed away in 2011, I wanted that picture but he must have pitched it. I've been looking for a way to see if the PG still has any old archived Press pics to review, but I can't find any websites, or a phone number to call.
Cool story. That was the famous Benny Benak band.

very cool !
In newspapers.com you can find the date of the the paper and print a copy of the photo. Was he with Benny Benyak and the Iron City Six (if I recall the name correctly). Benny was the music teacher at Clairton High School. Bob Prince called him Benny Benack (I know I have the spelling wrong), but my college roommate, ( a Clairton grad) insisted it was Benyak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT