ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rarest Animal You've Seen in the Wild in PA?

Honestly, I've never seen a fox or coyote outside of a zoo. Saw a coyote in my neighborhood a couple years ago and a fox in my neighborhood a few weeks ago.

"Rarest" might be a bit ambiguous, because that might have been an insect or something that you didn't even realize was all that rare. But I'm just curious as to what animals/birds/fish you've seen in the PA wilderness that most people haven't.
Siragusa

Not rare necessarily, but I was driving on I-80 somewhere around the Lock Haven area a few years ago and two wild cats (mountain lions) darted across the road just about 10-15 yards ahead of me. I had never encountered a big cat before. I couldn’t imagine seeing one in person. I think I’d rather see 10 rattlesnakes!
??. Not the same.
yeah but when you know nothing about it, driving through podunk PA and all of a sudden you see that. like, "whoaaa," what in the world is THAT. fun little history story if anyone doesn't know, look it up. this was probably 15-ish years ago but we played golf there. it was like $10 or something ridiculous...in the summer.

i know they redid it. are they actually making $$?
The golf course is rated the best public course in the state. Stayed there a couple times, hosted meetings, etc. Rooms are older but the public areas are great.

??. Not the same.

The golf course is rated the best public course in the state. Stayed there a couple times, hosted meetings, etc. Rooms are older but the public areas are great.

designed by none other than donald ross. i'm not a golf buff but still a pretty cool PA history nugget.

Last edited:
Cook Forest area along the Clarion River (River Road) is great for animal sightings. I almost always see eagles along the river and once in the river. Lots of water birds. I have seen one family of porcupines along Gravel Lick Road in that area. There are otters in the river but I have yet to find them. I've seen beavers along some of the smaller streams.

My family has a farm near Clarion and I grew up there so I've seen most everything around the farm - coyotes, bears, foxes, albino deer, and more common animals. Not much mention of birds so far, but I've seen a baltimore oriole and an indigo bunting at the farm's bird feeder. The oriole eats orange rinds. Both are beautiful birds.

When I was a kid I hunted quail and pheasant. I saw plenty but never got off a single shot. When you kick one up, it takes off like a freight train. It always startled me so much that I couldn't recover in time.

Here in NC we have regular visits from bears, turkeys, deer, and a fox today

Almost nothing in the east compares to big animals in the west, though.
Doesn’t a freight train “take off” very slowly?

Was not when I lived in Pittsburgh but telling mine for the hell of it. Live in the Las Vegas suburbs and maybe 10-12 years ago was walking my dog in the neighborhood and saw some sort of giant bird hovering above us that looked like something out of a horror movie.

Wife thought it was some kind of a vulture, my first thought was it almost had to be fake. It loomed above us for a good minute or so and it got to the point that there was some worry about our dog who was just sitting there staring at this giant thing.

After we got home I looked it up and discovered it was a California Condor we had seen, and we weren’t the only ones as there was a story about it on the local news that many people had seen it and details about how it had likely been diverted from its usual flight path for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
Honestly, I've never seen a fox or coyote outside of a zoo. Saw a coyote in my neighborhood a couple years ago and a fox in my neighborhood a few weeks ago.
The first fox I ever saw outside of a zoo was when I was laying in a pool at the outer banks, it was 20 yards from us. The year before that sitting in a pool there I saw 3 deer In our yard.

About 7 years ago there was a family of albino deer that lived in my back yard in Bethlehem WV. I’m not the best at identifying gender in young deer but there were two young albino deer and an albino mother. There was always a buck around but was regular colored. It was truly an amazing sight. One little one ended up roadkill on 29th street and never saw the two other ones after that. I imagine someone has them stuffed over their fireplace.

Lived on the Mississippi in central Illinois near a dam. Lots of fish at the dam for baldies. It was a winter nesting ground. Often, you'd see 30 - 40 in the trees, on the ice, etc. It was incredible!

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE
Walking around my town a while back there was a family from another country nearby. They went bananas when they saw squirrels playing in a tree.

Funny how something so common to us is rare (or in this case completely alien) to others.

Clearfield County has one of the most concentrated populations of rattlesnakes anywhere in the state. I had a wildlife official tell me they believe it rivals any county in the country.
I grew up in DuBois Clearfield county and spent about half my second decade in the woods there and surrounding counties, still get there a lot. I never saw a rattler until this past summer I saw 3 in one day near Emporium (Cameron County I think). 2 were sunning on the side of a dirt forest road near a stream where a lot of timbering was going on on top of the mountain. There was a bad drought at the time and they came down for water. Then later that day driving home through a rainstorm a real big rattler was crossing the paved road and the car in front of me and I drove right over it without hitting it and I believe the car behind me also missed it.

Every summer there's a rattlesnake roundup in Sinnemahoning (Cameron County) and people catch snakes and bring them in to be measured. Then they're released back where they were caught.

I grew up in DuBois Clearfield county and spent about half my second decade in the woods there and surrounding counties, still get there a lot. I never saw a rattler until this past summer I saw 3 in one day near Emporium (Cameron County I think). 2 were sunning on the side of a dirt forest road near a stream where a lot of timbering was going on on top of the mountain. There was a bad drought at the time and they came down for water. Then later that day driving home through a rainstorm a real big rattler was crossing the paved road and the car in front of me and I drove right over it without hitting it and I believe the car behind me also missed it.

Every summer there's a rattlesnake roundup in Sinnemahoning (Cameron County) and people catch snakes and bring them in to be measured. Then they're released back where they were caught.
Not only are they measured, they are milked of their venom which is used for antivenom and a number of other drugs.

Rattlesnakes are a protected species in PA. They are not aggressive, unless cornered and feel threatened. If you're bit, you've done something reckless.
I believe the person who died was bit when he reached into a woodpile for firewood. This is a common haunt for big woods snakes who seek peaceful and reclusive areas.

I fish Spring Creek a lot in the late spring and summer. There are definitely rattlesnakes in the area. I saw one swimming across the creek near where I was fishing. Live and let live. Just make some noise and use the butt of your fishing rod to brush the weeds ahead of you and take your time. Don't blindly step over logs or reach or get too close to rocky outcroppings and you'll be just fine. If you see one on a road, simply go around it.

If you want to see an impressive snake, check out the Eastern Diamondback in the coastal areas of the south. I lived on Sapelo Island GA for a year working at the Marine Institute and the rattlesnakes there made timber rattlers look like nightcrawlers!

Now the cottonmouth is a different story. A very nasty and aggressive pit viper. Definitely give them a lot of room!

Not only are they measured, they are milked of their venom which is used for antivenom and a number of other drugs.

Rattlesnakes are a protected species in PA. They are not aggressive, unless cornered and feel threatened. If you're bit, you've done something reckless.
I believe the person who died was bit when he reached into a woodpile for firewood. This is a common haunt for big woods snakes who seek peaceful and reclusive areas.

I fish Spring Creek a lot in the late spring and summer. There are definitely rattlesnakes in the area. I saw one swimming across the creek near where I was fishing. Live and let live. Just make some noise and use the butt of your fishing rod to brush the weeds ahead of you and take your time. Don't blindly step over logs or reach or get too close to rocky outcroppings and you'll be just fine. If you see one on a road, simply go around it.

If you want to see an impressive snake, check out the Eastern Diamondback in the coastal areas of the south. I lived on Sapelo Island GA for a year working at the Marine Institute and the rattlesnakes there made timber rattlers look like nightcrawlers!

Now the cottonmouth is a different story. A very nasty and aggressive pit viper. Definitely give them a lot of room!

We're lucky we don't have any saw-scaled vipers in this country. I watched a video on them before... Scary that something so small could be so deadly.

Clearfield County has one of the most concentrated populations of rattlesnakes anywhere in the state. I had a wildlife official tell me they believe it rivals any county in the country.
Yes, they are also known by another name. "Nitters".

I spent 2 weeks in Queensland, Australia for work. They were building a huge Magnesium plant there and they went belly up, and we sold them alot of material. So we were buying it back, I was sent there to make sure everything was still in tact and they were packed and identified properly (yeah, not a bad gig). Anyways.....every morning to the job site (it was somewhat remote) I saw these in the fields just we see deer in the fields here. It was always fun.

large-group-of-kangaroos-on-field-WMMDEH.jpg

A long time ago, I played golf at the Country Club of Emporium. Signs everywhere warning you to beware the rattlers. Late 70's

Reactions: ErnieBassJr
Two summers ago I saw about an 8 ft king snake. It was as fat as a python. Luckily they’re not aggressive or dangerous.

I was deer hunting once and saw an albino coyote. Freaked me out at first, had no idea what it was as it ran towards me.

My favorite animal I spotted was ring tailed cat at around 2am. Heard something in the trees and put a portable flood light on it. Cool looking animal. This is all California though so disregard my post.

Lots of talk on the Timber Rattlesnakes. I mentioned in earlier post that I've encountered many over the years while hiking/camping in central PA. This includes in Clearfield County where as mentioned by others, they are everywhere. In places such as Clearfield and surrounding counties, they are easy to spot in the summer becuashe they will come out onto dirt roads and trails during the day and "sun bathe". Literally just lie there for hours before returning into the brush. Anyway, a few notes:

1) To whomever mentioned that their friends hunt them/kill them/eat them/etc. This is illegal in PA. You can only legally kill one in PA if they are threat to human life (i.e. you are somehow "cornered' and can't get away). I do know that people kill them for sport so I am not doubting the story, just pointing it's not cool. The rattlesnakes are an important part of the ecosystem.

2) As mentioned by another, you have to work really hard to get bit by a Timber Rattlesnake. They have like zero interest in biting humans. We have found them at our camp sites many times, captured them and relocated them a few miles down the road, and have never been bitten. I don't know or have heard of anyone being bitten, though obviously it happens.

3) I disagree with the poster that said you have to be 'reckless' to get bit by a rattlesnake. Many outdoors people know, for instance, to proceed with caution around a wood pile - i.e. poke the pile a little with a stick before digging through the wood and if a rattlesnake is present it will makes itself known; i have in fact done this and actually found rattlers in the pile. But a novice camper may not know this and innocently reach for a few logs and get bit. I don't consider this reckless. Moreover, a rattler can be in the brush right along a trail path. If you are just walking down the trail the rattler may feel threatened and bite as you walk by. Most times it would rattle as you approached so you should know it's there, but it could be you are walking briskly enough and maybe talking with some and don't hear it. I don't know just many scenarios I can envision where someone gets bit without being reckless. I will agree that being reckless (i.e. toying with a snake) is common precursor to actual bites.
Semantics. Perhaps reckless was not the proper word. Careless, nonchalant, ill informed or unlucky could all work.
When in snake country, educate yourself but do not be fearful. Encounters with rattlesnakes are rare, unless you are actively seeking them. Most snake hunters know where the dens are and most snakes are captured in near proximity to these.

Sadly, many people have irrational fear of rattlesnakes and kill them on sight. They don't deserve that fate.

What many would be surprised to learn is that a young rattle snake is the most dangerous. The adults may only use half venom or even non at all. A young snake will pump you with all it has.

The cottonmouth isn’t native to PA. If you see them here, you probably are seeing a copperhead, which are very common in PA and the two snakes are often confused.
Saw the cottonmouths in GA. No mistaking them. Pretty obvious where they got their name.
Coiled up with snow white mouth open, just waiting to get in range!

Is Sapelo Island worth the hassle for a visit? I understand you have to get permission from the state to take the ferry out to the island.

There are a couple eagles that fly the Mahoning creek every morning where it flows into the Allegheny. I have a camp there. Pretty cool. Tons of bears up there but I'm the only person to never see one. There is a beaver lodge being built across the creek from us. Its cool to watch them at work.

I know a few folks at the game commission who say that it is highly unlikely that panthers are in pa. They leave lots of sign. You'd have scat, remains ftom their kills, etc. They would also not last in PA due to our pop densities (too many roads). Most evidence they get are bobcats or coyotes. Also, if there was a mt. lion around, they'd get rid of coyotes pretty quick. They don't mix well.

The cottonmouth isn’t native to PA. If you see them here, you probably are seeing a copperhead, which are very common in PA and the two snakes are often confused.
Cottonmouths are in Raleigh. I’ve had them swim toward me while fishing from the edge of a river. I’ve pushed them away with the tip of my fishing pole, only to have him try harder to get to me. The current pulling them down river was the only thing that stopped their attack. VERY aggressive.

I’ve also killed a Copperhead in my driveway.

Cottonmouths are in Raleigh. I’ve had them swim toward me while fishing from the edge of a river. I’ve pushed them away with the tip of my fishing pole, only to have him try harder to get to me. The current pulling them down river was the only thing that stopped their attack. VERY aggressive.

I’ve also killed a Copperhead in my driveway.
Seen copperheads often on the tobacco trail while jogging

At age 11 or 12, I was with a friend flipping over railroad ties from an old RR track bed catching salamanders. We found these two snakes like none we had ever seen. So of course we picked them up and took them home to show my dad. We knew he would know what they were. We walked into the kitchen with the snakes and my mom nearly fainted. Then my dad freaks out telling us to take them out to the yard. He gets his garden hoe and whacks them up. My sister saw that so she was screaming, my mom was crying, and my dad was pissed that we had brought two copperheads into the house. At least I then knew what a copperhead looked like.

The rattler death in PA was about 3-4 years ago IIRC. It happened in Medix Run which is well known for snakes. A man camping with his wife went out to the campfire at night and was bit. His wife drove him to the hospital in St. Mary's where he got antivenin and he was life-flighted to Pittsburg. He died during the flight.

Semantics. Perhaps reckless was not the proper word. Careless, nonchalant, ill informed or unlucky could all work.
When in snake country, educate yourself but do not be fearful. Encounters with rattlesnakes are rare, unless you are actively seeking them. Most snake hunters know where the dens are and most snakes are captured in near proximity to these.

Sadly, many people have irrational fear of rattlesnakes and kill them on sight. They don't deserve that fate.
The only reason I can see doing this, as someone who's family once had a camp in Elk County, if you have dogs.....and kids....you don't want them around. Because if you have a camp, you know you have a woodpile. And rocks around where they like to sun themselves. So I can understand preventive measures if you find a rattler near by. If you are walking in the woods or hunting, that is a different story, very easy for you to evade the snake.

In PA I guess same as most answers...black bear, bald eagle. I spend a lot of time on the Rachel Carson Trail where you go by both the north park Eagles nest and not far from another above route 28/the Allegheny.

The scariest was hiking in the Topanga Mountains in LA, we ran into a mountain lion at dusk. I read they thought there only 3 left in LA then, now they count 23. Anyway it's eyes were glowing, we had no idea the proper way to exit the situation and just ran haha.

Anyone seen a ruffed grouse, the PA State Bird? Only one I ever saw was in 2001 in Deep Creek, MD.
That was my favorite thing to hunt when I was a kid. I had my Grandfather’s single barrel shotgun, and learned how to be a good shot while hunting grouse. That was late 70s / early 80s.

I first one I heard take flight was about three feet from me it took off. It had been sitting in a pine tree that was right beside me. It scared the heck out of me, and I can still hear my Dad laughing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT