ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Ribfest Ratings

Pitt_Boss

Freshman
Dec 15, 2008
Best I had today: Tie between Off the Bone and Bad Azz BBQ. Love that you don't even need to sauce Off the Bone's ribs, they are perfectly seasoned and tender, and basted just enough during cooking. Bad Azz is actually a local Pgh company that I first tried last year. Got some more today and they are excellent.

Worst I had today: Cowboys from Ft. Worth Texas. They left a blemish on the Texas BBQ reputation today. Ribs were a little underdone and chewy. And they pour BBQ sauce on them before they give them to you. The sauce was just OK, but they put way too much on, just ladel it over them like gravy. All the other vendors serves them dry except for the saucing they do during cooking, and then let you add a sauce if you like. This was a dud.

Random notes:
-I did not try Pigfoot today, but they are there every year and usually pretty solid. However, I noticed today they had the shortest line by far. I thought they were fairly popular, not sure what was up, but seemed odd and I just stayed away too.

-There was a new local BBQ vendor this year, Crews BBQ. I did not try them because they were at the far end from where I started and I had already been to 6 places. However, I heard they are in some way connected to the Steel Plate restaurant in Monessen. If you've never been, the Steel Plate is awesome. So, I am definitely going to look for Crews next year if they are back.

-This isn't a new thing, but it continues to amaze&disappoint me that you can't get a soda or bottled water at Ribfest. For years, the Lemonade Stand had an exclusive contract to sell beverages there and all they have are over-sugared $10 lemonades. There a few more drink vendors now, a homemade soda stand, frozen drinks, etc. But you can't just get like a Coke or Diet Coke. DUMB. I don't even care if it's overpriced stadium-priced soda, I'm already in for $300 in Ribs and Cornbread, I'll drop another $20 for a couple Cokes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Best I had today: Tie between Off the Bone and Bad Azz BBQ. Love that you don't even need to sauce Off the Bone's ribs, they are perfectly seasoned and tender, and basted just enough during cooking. Bad Azz is actually a local Pgh company that I first tried last year. Got some more today and they are excellent.

Worst I had today: Cowboys from Ft. Worth Texas. They left a blemish on the Texas BBQ reputation today. Ribs were a little underdone and chewy. And they pour BBQ sauce on them before they give them to you. The sauce was just OK, but they put way too much on, just ladel it over them like gravy. All the other vendors serves them dry except for the saucing they do during cooking, and then let you add a sauce if you like. This was a dud.

Random notes:
-I did not try Pigfoot today, but they are there every year and usually pretty solid. However, I noticed today they had the shortest line by far. I thought they were fairly popular, not sure what was up, but seemed odd and I just stayed away too.

-There was a new local BBQ vendor this year, Crews BBQ. I did not try them because they were at the far end from where I started and I had already been to 6 places. However, I heard they are in some way connected to the Steel Plate restaurant in Monessen. If you've never been, the Steel Plate is awesome. So, I am definitely going to look for Crews next year if they are back.

-This isn't a new thing, but it continues to amaze&disappoint me that you can't get a soda or bottled water at Ribfest. For years, the Lemonade Stand had an exclusive contract to sell beverages there and all they have are over-sugared $10 lemonades. There a few more drink vendors now, a homemade soda stand, frozen drinks, etc. But you can't just get like a Coke or Diet Coke. DUMB. I don't even care if it's overpriced stadium-priced soda, I'm already in for $300 in Ribs and Cornbread, I'll drop another $20 for a couple Cokes.
Boss - How many bones did you eat??

Boss - How many bones did you eat??
Probably 1.5 to 2 whole racks. Tough to say exactly because they cut them into individual bones, even when you order whole racks. We had went to 6 places and got a full rack at each place. Was splitting them with three other people, but one of them was only eating like one bone out of each rack. So the other three of us pretty much killed the 6 racks between us. Though we did give a few bones of the crappy Cowboys BBQ to a homeless person.

Is Cowboys really from Texas though? Or is it some factory rib festival operation?

Is Cowboys really from Texas though? Or is it some factory rib festival operation?

A factory rib festival operation? I didn't even know that such a thing existed!

Maybe it's just me, but on a day that the football game started at 12:00, wouldn't it have made sense for the ribfest to start at, say, 11:00, so that people could buy some ribs before the game?

Reactions: Mikefln and Dan1911
Crews was awesome. My favorite of the 4 I tried. They didnt need sauce either. Meat couldnt wait to shed the bone and the seasoning was perfect

Another thing.....

the lines move so slow there. most of these vendors have like 14 different meal options, combos, etc. While I observed some good looking brisket, wings, etc around me, it is the RIBfest. There is a market for a vendor with a Ribs Only Express Lane that can turn orders around quicker.

Reactions: persp
They should have a Pittsburgh food truck day for one of the games, (unless the Steelers would nix it because of fewer food revenue), I think people would like it.

I dont know how SEC fans do this every week because for whatever reason, Pittsburgh in September is like 90 everyday.

I guess lucky for us the game was in August, so the high temperature was only 85.

Are there really people who find it too oppressive to be outside when it's 85 degrees?

Interesting Bad Azz was one of your favorites. I know they’re local and all but they get very meh reviews and got busted a few years ago buying up a bunch of Costco rotisserie chickens that they would just slather their sauce on.

Interesting Bad Azz was one of your favorites. I know they’re local and all but they get very meh reviews and got busted a few years ago buying up a bunch of Costco rotisserie chickens that they would just slather their sauce on.
I didn't order chicken ;)

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT