ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP Myron...

He was definitely a Pittsburgh thing. Not slighting him as a man, but when I was living in Pittsburgh from 2000-2006, he wasn't my favorite to listen to when my friends from the area wanted to tune into the radio during the television broadcasts; certainly was a loved, local, acquired-taste, however. Maybe he was better in his prime, similar to Hillgrove...However, I did love listening to Bill up until the last 10 years or so.

Myron had a habit of calling women "girlies". I wrote a poem about it and sent it to him. He read it on the air which I never expected. I still remember the words:
Some recent callers to my show have gotten rather surly.
They say I am insulting when I call a woman "girlie".
I find it rather puzzling I've created such commotion.
For, to me, a "girlie" is a term of fondness and devotion.
I suppose I could call them "females".
But that would sound quite strange.
Besides, when you're as old as me, it's difficult to change.
And so it doesn't matter if her hair is straight or curly.
To me, a female, young or old, will always be a "girlie".

Rest in Peace Myron.

I was a copeanut I don't remember why it was bestowed the honor probably because I was a frequent caller to his show. My two highlights of remembering Myron when Johnny Majors arrived at Pitt and Myron would give recruiting updates with the lone ranger theme hi ho Majors and when he swam the mom after the bengals lost to the raiders.

I was a copeanut I don't remember why it was bestowed the honor probably because I was a frequent caller to his show. My two highlights of remembering Myron when Johnny Majors arrived at Pitt and Myron would give recruiting updates with the lone ranger theme hi ho Majors and when he swam the mom after the bengals lost to the raiders.

Myron’s “Hi Ho Maajjoors!” spots were great and are the source of my blog name — Major Majors!

Go Pitt!

Myron wrote for SI long before he became a Pittsburgh legend with the Steelers. He was one of a kind and a real stickler for grammar if you can believe it. Never forget the "warsh day session" and his shirt pocket notes and little birdies whispering in his ears. Loved his Pitt/Majors reports - that was right around the time I was discovering my love for Pitt football.

What he did for this town in the 70s and for charitable causes throughout his lifetime is only equaled by a guy named Lemieux.

But out of everything, I remember his last shows and how he talked about his beloved wife Mildred, who had passed about a year or so earlier. Still get choked up when I think about him talking of his love for his wife and how she was supposed to be there after he finished his last show.

This is Myron Cope....on sports...

One other thing, I always had the local guys on in the background during a Steelers broadcast. Couldn't stand the national guys. Every time the Steelers would score or make a big play, I would run to the radio and crank it because Myron would bring the house down with his descriptions. Sure do miss that!

Myron wrote for SI long before he became a Pittsburgh legend with the Steelers.

He wrote for the Post-Gazette as well (which is probably how SI found him), and thus had already become something of a Pittsburgh legend before he ventured into radio. He also (ironic given his strong identity with Pittsburgh and the Steelers in particular) did the writing on an "autobiography" of Jim Brown while Brown was still an active player.

Reactions: fairgambit
He was definitely a Pittsburgh thing. Not slighting him as a man, but when I was living in Pittsburgh from 2000-2006, he wasn't my favorite to listen to when my friends from the area wanted to tune into the radio during the television broadcasts; certainly was a loved, local, acquired-taste, however. Maybe he was better in his prime, similar to Hillgrove...However, I did love listening to Bill up until the last 10 years or so.

He was much better earlier in his career but still was an acquired taste. By the time you listened he was starting to really lose his fastball. And he probably stayed on the air for at least 2 years too long - and probably longer than that. It was sad listening to him actually.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
If you are a Cope fan and you haven't read his book, Broken Cigars, you should.

md11625168948.jpg

Back in the days before cell phones, I was listening to his show when the subject came up as to why the out of bounds line is in bounds in some sports (tennis, baseball) and out of bounds in others (football, basketball). Since calling in wasn't possible, I wrote him a letter about it (the difference is in football and basketball the players' feet can't be out of bounds, whereas in baseball and tennis, the players are frequently not in bounds, and so the ball's position is what matters). Anyhow, I got a letter from him indicating that he had read my letter on the air. I have it framed as one of my personal treasures. Yoy!

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
There used to be a frequent caller to his show who was off-beat, and very talkative. This caller used the handle "The Hanging Judge". I personally knew the guy - having worked with him - so when I clued-in Myron to the fact that "The Hanging Judge" was a real-life psychiatrist, ol' Myron had an on-air field day with that.

I was fortunate to have been in the stadium press box at Steelers games for several years, and that included the privilege of sitting with Myron at the Sunday pre-game brunches. He was always friendly, down-to-earth, and a Pittsburgher through 'n through.

That era was the Golden Age of Pittsburgh Talk Radio. Shows such as Cope's and Doug Hoerth's were special and unfortunately, gone forever.

Last edited:
He was much better earlier in his career but still was an acquired taste. By the time you listened he was starting to really lose his fastball. And he probably stayed on the air for at least 2 years too long - and probably longer than that. It was sad listening to him actually.
always love you guys who come onto these feel good remembrance posts (on this day type stuff) and feel the need to be Debbie Downers...

I remember towards the end of his career, the Bengles were so pissed about him constantly calling them the Bungles that they demanded an official apology from both him and the Steelers. He doubled down and refused to apologize and he just said the "the Bungles should apologize to their fans!"

They actually had to call the game from a Pittsburgh TV studio while watching the game like everyone else on their own TV in studio because Cincy refused their entry into the stadium.

cope had asked the steelers PR guy to tell him if he ever thought it was time for him to retire. Cope didn't want to hang on and be forced out. Maybe he hung around 1 or 2 years too long but not 5 or more. He was didn't want to embarrass himself. I respected that story because often times it takes a good friend or business associate having to have a tough conversation. Its like having to tell your aging parents that they shouldn't drive anymore. Having to take the car keys from them.

I wonder about all of our college and pro announcers in this city, especially Hilgrove. The Duquesne play by play guy is very old at 81. Bill is 78? How much longer do they keep the job. Lange has already reduced his travel broadcasts. He to is getting up there.

I remember towards the end of his career, the Bengles were so pissed about him constantly calling them the Bungles that they demanded an official apology from both him and the Steelers. He doubled down and refused to apologize and he just said the "the Bungles should apologize to their fans!"

They actually had to call the game from a Pittsburgh TV studio while watching the game like everyone else on their own TV in studio because Cincy refused their entry into the stadium.
You mean the Steelers/Cope didn't bend over and capitulate as we did when the boy rapists didn't like the reference to them in the fight song? Good thing we did cave though, it ensued they'd schedule us for perpetuity. Right? Oh.

Seriously, i'd never heard that story, and it makes ther Bengals even more tools than they were in keeping Marv Lewis around for a decade of embarrassment and failure. I guess that's also why it called the Pitt comparison to mind.

Anyway kudos to MC and the Steelers for telling the Bengals to F off.

The Hi Ho Majors bits were the best at recruiting time. My favorite though is the LOI night he interviewed Ray Rooster Jones who talked about himself and the other 2 Mississippi kids. Lynn Thomas (future 1st round) and Hugh Green “from up Natchez way”, as Rooster said it. Also a 1st rounder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT