ADVERTISEMENT

Ot Rust resigned

Probably 500k too much, but he gives you the extra years with 4 years. Also, giving Sheary 3 million didn’t help their negotiations.

I like the signing. Versatile, kills penalties, scores big goals, etc...

Probably signals some more moves coming though with a player like Sheary potentially getting dealt.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
So which right winger is getting traded?
Hopefully Sheary. If he isn't with Crosby, he's useless anymore it seems. He did great things for us, but 3mil against the cap hurts us with his production. Go out and get some depth defensemen now,

Seemed a bargain to me.
Versatility and timely playoff goals should get rewarded.
A bargain? Paying for "timely" goals is usually a dumb mistake. He does have versatility, but he is oft injured and the scoring has not been close to consistent. He likely wouldn't have made more than $2M in arbitration, so they are banking on the fact he would be worth at least $500k more per year ($4M cap hit) as an UFA.

He would have gotten more in free agency
He wasn't a UFA and wasn't going to be, so that is not at question. It is a question of buying out UFA years in exchange for known cost, higher salaries than RFA years. He wouldn't have received more in RFA because in the NHL RFAs never do and they would have had to pay him more AND given up a valuable draft pick. Literally 1 player has EVER left their team via the RFA offer sheet process. There was a 0% chance he got $3.5M in arbitration. So, they will pay a LOT more for him this year, with the expectation he is worth a lot more than $3.5M the 3 years after. That seems hard to believe when he won't have a top 6 or PP role.

Reactions: pittdan77
Hopefully Sheary. If he isn't with Crosby, he's useless anymore it seems. He did great things for us, but 3mil against the cap hurts us with his production. Go out and get some depth defensemen now,
Would be great to dump Sheary and Hunwick, bring back Oleksiak and Sheahan, grab a solid 2/3 pair defenseman, and still have a little cap room left for in season trades.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Good move. Similar to the Orpik deal that Caps made with Colorado to clear cap but in that case Caps had to give a useful piece (Grubauer). Or alternatively, they got less value for Grubauer because Avs took Orpiks contract. I guess Botterill likes Sheary, but GMJR just had to negotiate on Sheary’s own value without giving any other assets. Except Hunwick which is a plus.

Next up:
Sign Kunitz
Get a real backup goalie
Figure out what to do with Brassard....find a role for him he’ll accept, or trade.

- Dumping Sheary and Hunwick for a draft pick to free up cap space was expected for some time now (no surprise).

- Signing Sheahan was a good move even if for only one year for now..... he really came on strong as the year progressed last season and is a very good fit as a 4th line center for the Pens.

- Apparently going to sign Jack Johnson soon .... may be a bit of a risk at the salary for 5 years.... he is 31 and his productivity has been down the last 2-3 years ...... if a fresh start with the Pens and playing with his good friend Sidney Crosby rejuvenates his career, then it will be a good deal.

- Whether they sign Johnson or not, they need to sign Jamie Oleksiak soon.

- I'm lukewarm to the idea of re-signing Chris Kunitz to basically play on the 4th line for a year ( I'm not against it) ...... would probably mean the end as a Pen for Kuhnhackl (who didn't get an offer from the Pens as an UFA so he is likely gone anyway) and Carter Rowney (who underperformed last season) ...... not a big deal to lose these two guys IMO.

- Looks like DeSmith and Jarry will battle for back up goalie .... they may sign a veteran goalie for insurance but with the goalies they have, I don't think they want to spend too much on another back up.

- Upcoming season should be pretty interesting and somewhat pivotal for the Pens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Oleksiak is an rfa, he’s not going anywhere.

Sheahan 1 year, 2.1 mill. Good signing and insurance for 3C if Brassard doesn’t work out.

Look for Cam ward to get some attention as a backup on a 1 year deal.

Would be great to dump Sheary and Hunwick, bring back Oleksiak and Sheahan, grab a solid 2/3 pair defenseman, and still have a little cap room left for in season trades.
I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

Sheahan 1 year, 2.1 mill. Good signing and insurance for 3C if Brassard doesn’t work out.

I keep hearing Jeff Skinner’s name come up. Would you be shocked to see Skinner and Ward come to Pittsburgh for say, Jarry, Simon or Blueger and a pick? They would have to clear more cap room but Carolina I’m sure would be willing to eat some of that money as well.

I think a trade is very likely with that organ-EYE-zay-shun.

Yeah, agree, Oleksiak is a RFA and he should be back.

Cam Ward would be a good veteran back up goalie but I'm not sure he would fit under the cap ..... will have to see what interest he gets from other teams and what his asking price would be ...... my guess is that it may be too high ..... other possibility is for Ward to come to the Pens as part of a trade.

I think that’s exactly what’s going to happen.
I think we are going to be adding a clear 3rd pair D with no upside for too much money and WAY too much term. Just a freaking terrible decision. I would definitely rather have Hunwick on his contract than Johnson on what is being reported. Unbelievable.

If that happens, the Sheary/Hunwick trade will have been, essentially, a waste. Johnson shouldn't sniff 5 years, even if he is willing to take a very low number.

In 3 years, there will be another work stoppage. When they come back with a new CBA, the Pens will have amnesty to buyout Johnson without penalty. So essentially it is a 3 year deal.

I keep hearing Jeff Skinner’s name come up. Would you be shocked to see Skinner and Ward come to Pittsburgh for say, Jarry, Simon or Blueger and a pick? They would have to clear more cap room but Carolina I’m sure would be willing to eat some of that money as well.

I think a trade is very likely with that organ-EYE-zay-shun.

Yes, on many levels.
1.) you can’t fit Skinner without moving a big cap hit....$5.75 this year
2.) he’s a ufa next year, not worth risking young pieces...not worth over $6 a year
3.) he’s a china doll
4.) he’s only broken 60 points once in his career and was a -27 last year.

Who is he replacing and how is he an upgrade? But I do ger that JR has soft spots for “his guys”.

Oh, he’s a far better player than Sheary was for us. He would definitely be in our top six ahead of Simon, Sprong, etc.

Personally, I think the idea would be to play him on the third line with Brassard and likely Kessel.

It may not work out financially. However, from a pure hockey standpoint, I would definitely take Jeff Skinner.

I don’t think Sprong or Sheary are top 6 and I personally think Brassard will be moved at the trade deadline. I don’t see him wanting to kill penalties and having his minutes cut. He bitched about it at the end of the year and I think he’ll do it again.

Guentzel-CrosbyHornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Brassard-Sprong
ZAR-Sheahan-???

Is how I think they roll. Can’t have 2 soft players on Crosby’s wings. If you’re gonna put a goal scoring winger on geno’s wing, it’s gonna be Kessel and no way you can play Kessel and Sprong together. Sprong needs ro cut his teeth on the 3rd line and having a 3c like Brassard as opposed to a traditional grinder type 3c will help his development.

No room and no need for Skinner. I think either Duclair or Kunitz comes back to play on the 4th and Simon rolls with the taxi squad and fills in where/when needed.

Johnson 3.2, Oleksial 1.5, Kunitz or duclair 1, 1.5 for Cam ward on a 1 year deal and you call it a day till the trade deadline.

Your points are well taken. Brassard never did look comfortable killing penalties. They may need to put someone else in that role.

Also, I believe Crosby should play more in those situations than he has in the past. I just think their fundamentally changes how aggressive the opposing teams are against us. I see that a lot with Edmonton and McDavid and I think we should employ the same strategy too.

Personally, I absolutely HATE Geno and Kessel together 5-on-5. I just think they are such a defensive liability together. Sometimes they can cover it up because they are so talented offensively. However, more often than not, they suck together.

I think/hope the lesson Pittsburgh learned last year was that they were too top-heavy at forward and on defense.

Everyone is focusing on whether or not Jack Johnson will be a “top four” defenseman, but that’s really irrelevant because that is not how this team functions. They are going to have Dumoulin and Letang play the most minutes; and then the bottom two pairings will be interchangeable.

It is the same at forward. We can’t be a Top 6/Bottom 6 type of team. We’re not good enough for that. Pittsburgh has to roll three and sometimes four lines to win. That’s the secret sauce, IMHO. The combination of relentless speed, tenacity and skill is what wears down everyone they play against.

We clearly lacked that depth up front and on the back end last year and it bit us in the ass in the end.

In 3 years, there will be another work stoppage. When they come back with a new CBA, the Pens will have amnesty to buyout Johnson without penalty. So essentially it is a 3 year deal.
That is possible, but that is an idiotic way to conduct business. Even 3 years and $3.5M per is a bad deal for Johnson IMO.

Your points are well taken. Brassard never did look comfortable killing penalties. They may need to put someone else in that role.

Also, I believe Crosby should play more in those situations than he has in the past. I just think their fundamentally changes how aggressive the opposing teams are against us. I see that a lot with Edmonton and McDavid and I think we should employ the same strategy too.

Personally, I absolutely HATE Geno and Kessel together 5-on-5. I just think they are such a defensive liability together. Sometimes they can cover it up because they are so talented offensively. However, more often than not, they suck together.

I think/hope the lesson Pittsburgh learned last year was that they were too top-heavy at forward and on defense.

Everyone is focusing on whether or not Jack Johnson will be a “top four” defenseman, but that’s really irrelevant because that is not how this team functions. They are going to have Dumoulin and Letang play the most minutes; and then the bottom two pairings will be interchangeable.

It is the same at forward. We can’t be a Top 6/Bottom 6 type of team. We’re not good enough for that. Pittsburgh has to roll three and sometimes four lines to win. That’s the secret sauce, IMHO. The combination of relentless speed, tenacity and skill is what wears down everyone they play against.

We clearly lacked that depth up front and on the back end last year and it bit us in the ass in the end.
I think we absolutely are good enough for that, BUT it is much easier to win with what you are describing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT