ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Saban Retiring

Saw this stat: “Every player who signed with the Tide and played four years under Saban won a national championship.” How’s that for a recruiting pitch?

Until NIL came along he had nothing to worry about. His system worked. It produced wins, the most 1st round draft picks and not many negative headlines about players in trouble(off the top of my head).

That is arguably the most delusional fanbase in all of American sports. We just haven't seen that side of them lately because Saban met their expectations.

Have you ever met a UCLA basketball fan? They have the same sort of expectations as an Alabama football fan, with the difference being that Alabama under Saban regularly won championships, and UCLA basketball has won one championship since the mid-70s. And that was nearly 30 years ago.

Gotta be Dabo. He played there and Clemson fans are giving him the "Dixon 2" treatment.

It's not 2020 anymore. Bama fans would riot if they tried to hire Dabo after the last 3 years he's had at Clemson.

That said, it's hard to predict which direction the Bama brass will go. People forget just how dysfunctional that place was before Saban.

Last edited:
Have you ever met a UCLA basketball fan? They have the same sort of expectations as an Alabama football fan, with the difference being that Alabama under Saban regularly won championships, and UCLA basketball has won one championship since the mid-70s. And that was nearly 30 years ago.
How about Texas A & M fans? They think every year is their year and are surprised they don’t come close to the playoffs. They haven’t won a National Championship since 1939! But hey, they have yell leaders to get the fans cheering. That’s worthy of a National Championship.

I worked with a Texas A&M grad several years ago and he would start off every Monday morning conference call by saying, “Big Aggies win this weekend!” before saying anything else. Not “hi”, not “good morning everyone”. He got pissed when a new employee asked which Aggies he meant, like he should know who he was talking about.

I would say, Dude, they beat Kansas and our company is based in San Francisco! No one cares about Texas A&M!”

I met a bunch when I lived in Atlanta as well. All the same way. Way too much pride that doesn’t match their history.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
How about Texas A & M fans? They think every year is their year and are surprised they don’t come close to the playoffs. They haven’t won a National Championship since 1939! But hey, they have yell leaders to get the fans cheering. That’s worthy of a National Championship.

I worked with a Texas A&M grad several years ago and he would start off every Monday morning conference call by saying, “Big Aggies win this weekend!” before saying anything else. Not “hi”, not “good morning everyone”. He got pissed when a new employee asked which Aggies he meant, like he should know who he was talking about.

I would say, Dude, they beat Kansas and our company is based in San Francisco! No one cares about Texas A&M!”

I met a bunch when I lived in Atlanta as well. All the same way. Way too much pride that doesn’t match their history.
I can’t think of any school that’s done less with more than Texas A&M.

You spelled nearly 50 years ago, wrong.

You spelled nearly 50 years ago, wrong.

jYPory@facebook.gif

Out of the blue. Alabama recruiting violations must be incoming.
a lot of things come out of the blue when you are 72 years old and most are not good...who knows, he might not be feeling that well..I would put worry about something the impotent NCAA may or may not have way down on the list of potential reasons...

a lot of things come out of the blue when you are 72 years old and most are not good...who knows, he might not be feeling that well..I would put worry about something the impotent NCAA may or may not have way down on the list of potential reasons...
It was a joke. Seems like sanctions always follow close behind these sudden departures. Urban, Tressel, Pete Carroll.

If I were in Vegas, I would seriously put my money on Mike Norvell to be the next head coach. He is a perfect fit. He took Memphis to the Cotton Bowl, in 4 years, he had FSU on the brink of the College Football Playoffs. He has strong ties in Florida for recruits. He's in his early 40's and could coach them for a long time.

FSU can then hire Deion Sanders..... LOL!

He said, “Now Daggum, I am actually going to have to play multiple games to win a National Championship rather than have my pal Herbie schill for me and I get in to the CFP and then just have to win two games? That’s it. I’m done. Deion, let’s go make some commercials.”
Makes me wonder if those talking heads are sincere, or if they are told which schools to pimp for?

If I were in Vegas, I would seriously put my money on Mike Norvell to be the next head coach. He is a perfect fit. He took Memphis to the Cotton Bowl, in 4 years, he had FSU on the brink of the College Football Playoffs. He has strong ties in Florida for recruits. He's in his early 40's and could coach them for a long time.

FSU can then hire Deion Sanders..... LOL!
The rumbling is growing louder that Norvell is gonna get offered.

Reactions: pittmeister
Yes. He is (was) in Tuscaloosa.

I think he is staying at Oregon
Saban has made a living recruiting in Florida. Norvell has strong ties there as well. Not sure what kind of presence Lanning has in Florida. I'm hiring a sure thing in Norwell.

Saban has made a living recruiting in Florida. Norvell has strong ties there as well. Not sure what kind of presence Lanning has in Florida. I'm hiring a sure thing in Norwell.
Not sure, either, but he was a GA at Alabama and he coached at Georgia for a few years.

Side note: he was a GA at Pitt in 2011.

As I read your post a banner popped up on my phone that said he was staying at Oregon.

As I read your post a banner popped up on my phone that said he was staying at Oregon.
Bet heavy on Norvell.

The FSU fans, administration and BOT's will go nuts! It will be fun to watch. They can not out bid Alabama. Then they will blame the ACC for not giving them more money to match Alabama's offer.

Anyone they get to replace Norvell will be a step back.

Bet heavy on Norvell.

The FSU fans, administration and BOT's will go nuts! It will be fun to watch. They can not out bid Alabama. Then they will blame the ACC for not giving them more money to match Alabama's offer.

Anyone they get to replace Norvell will be a step back.
If they can't find a way to keep Norvell with their upward trajectory, they aren't as serious about their vaunted standing as they like to project. This is one of those moments where you have to put up or shut up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT