ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sevens Rugby

upj87

Head Coach
Nov 5, 2003
I don't watch non traditional sports often, but when I do, it's Sevens Rugby... Saw the intercontinental championship or some such thing from Vegas last night where the USA won the belt over Argentina. Love it. Short and sweet rough and tumble games. Perfect for the short attention span millennial generation. I kind of got hooked on it during the last Olympics and the women's game is just as entertaining as the men's(which is rare). It has the international appeal of soccer without the endless boredom of nothing happening. Seems to me more and more athletic black dudes coming in as there are so many similarities to the open field running of football. I think the USA will be the power in the future.

Reactions: Chad40301
I never got into Rugby at all, but have some friends got hooked watching Sevens Rugby after college. They quickly became absolute fanatics. One won a trip to the Vegas championship a few years ago and went to the games in full face paint and team garb. The party atmosphere in the crowd looked like a blast. He said everyone was crazed and passionate like him, but all were extremely good-natured and showed great sportsmanship.

I never got into Rugby at all, but have some friends got hooked watching Sevens Rugby after college. They quickly became absolute fanatics. One won a trip to the Vegas championship a few years ago and went to the games in full face paint and team garb. The party atmosphere in the crowd looked like a blast. He said everyone was crazed and passionate like him, but all were extremely good-natured and showed great sportsmanship.
it is so much more entertaining for "non fans" to watch. i'll probably get bashed from die hard soccer fans for saying this but I think a similar format in soccer in this country would do well.

I am not going to blast it, but it comes down to bandwith. I just don't have the bandwith to take on more obscure sports as an interest.

Every year I say I’m going to go check it out, but I never seem to make it. It always seems to conflict with college basketball for me.

I see the fans in the hotel though, quite a lively group.

I am not going to blast it, but it comes down to bandwith. I just don't have the bandwith to take on more obscure sports as an interest.

A repairman was bending over my frequency connections within a bandwidth regard and was able to free up a little extra...Think the dude's name was Kevin Stallings.

it is so much more entertaining for "non fans" to watch. i'll probably get bashed from die hard soccer fans for saying this but I think a similar format in soccer in this country would do well.

There is indoor soccer. I am actually into that-attend a few games per year, you can get great tickets near the floor $25. Fan of the 9 time Champion Baltimore Blast, 6 on 6 on a hockey sized field, was big in the '80s remember the Pittsburgh Spirit? But still exists mostly in obscurity. It did well in the USA for awhile, but not so much now, It's way more physical than outdoor soccer, and scores are more like 8-7 instead of 1-0, they have power plays like hockey, pull the goalie at the end of close games, etc.

There is indoor soccer. I am actually into that-attend a few games per year, you can get great tickets near the floor $25. Fan of the 9 time Champion Baltimore Blast, 6 on 6 on a hockey sized field, was big in the '80s remember the Pittsburgh Spirit? But still exists mostly in obscurity. It did well in the USA for awhile, but not so much now, It's way more physical than outdoor soccer, and scores are more like 8-7 instead of 1-0, they have power plays like hockey, pull the goalie at the end of close games, etc.
yep, I recall my pops taking me to some of those games. cool event I recall but I think an outdoor event, 7 on 7 would do well. some sort of semi-pro league.

yep, I recall my pops taking me to some of those games. cool event I recall but I think an outdoor event, 7 on 7 would do well. some sort of semi-pro league.
The problem today is, there is too much outdoor pro soccer, even in the USA. There are literally hundreds of teams believe it or not. Not that anyone is making any money below the MLS or USL, but enough that you'd be hard pressed to find talent for some Americanized short field thing.

I'm surprised indoor soccer isn't more popular though? It is a fun event/sport. And I never even see it on TV, I watch some games on YouTube stream of the MASL.

The problem today is, there is too much outdoor pro soccer, even in the USA. There are literally hundreds of teams believe it or not. Not that anyone is making any money below the MLS or USL, but enough that you'd be hard pressed to find talent for some Americanized short field thing.

I'm surprised indoor soccer isn't more popular though? It is a fun event/sport. And I never even see it on TV, I watch some games on YouTube stream of the MASL.
here I start a nice post about a rough and exciting sport with padless tackling and blood and you have to ruin it with soccer talk.....Ladies and gentlemen, testosterone has just left the building!

Reactions: bschulter
There's a reason Rugby 7s is a niche sport on NBCSN at the time of year they need some sort of filler, reason is NOBODY CARES.

There's a reason Rugby 7s is a niche sport on NBCSN at the time of year they need some sort of filler, reason is NOBODY CARES.
same reason you have to watch soccer at 9am in this country.. I know, I know, soccer is growing in this country, in 20 years it will be a prime time sport. I've heard this in 80's, 90's and early 00's. Soccer is popular with kids who are too young to play real sports. That's why its fantastic for ages 6-9..

same reason you have to watch soccer at 9am in this country..
No, not really, that's because the European leagues are like 6-8 time zones ahead of us. There is plenty of soccer on ESPN, Fox, FSN, NBC, NBCSN later in the day and in the evening too, MLS, USMNT/WNT, UEFA, late games in England are broadcast late in the afternoon, even USL games are getting on TV. Comparing soccer to rugby as far as viewership in the USA is kind of a joke. There's more soccer on TV every day, than the total number of rugby games broadcast in a month. I never watch the morning games personally, I'm more into the American leagues, I don't care about seeing the best quality teams. I'm like a European that watches Eurobasket over NBA.

I'm not saying soccer is extremely popular, But I'd say it's popularity is increasing, I wouldn't be surprised if it's ahead of NHL at this point.

Anyways, this thread is for talking about Rugby 7s, the sport that is so exciting and growing, soon might surpass badminton and curling.

Sorry UPJ87 to ruin your Rugby 7s discussion. Bloody noses make you really manly and athletic though. Go Rugby! It's growing! Maybe in a year it will be streamed on FS2!

There are less head injuries in rugby because there are no helmets. Helmets give defensive players a weapon of sorts as they use it to make tackles and inflict pain.

Sorry UPJ87 to ruin your Rugby 7s discussion. Bloody noses make you really manly and athletic though. Go Rugby! It's growing! Maybe in a year it will be streamed on FS2!
lol, every insult you have directed towards 7 on 7rugby is exactly what the rest of this country has on soccer.

lol, every insult you have directed towards 7 on 7rugby is exactly what the rest of this country has on soccer.

The difference is, soccer compared to Rugby 7s in the USA, is like the NFL compared to high school lacrosse as far as fan interest . "The rest of the country"? You seem to think that soccer is some extreme niche, like Arena Football. I would not be surprised if soccer has more fans in the USA than hockey does. Don't forget the 11 million illegals count too! Rugby 7s is about as legit a sport in USA popularity as American Gladiator.

There are less head injuries in rugby because there are no helmets. Helmets give defensive players a weapon of sorts as they use it to make tackles and inflict pain.
That is true, it might be a good idea to eventually get rid of helmets and shoulder pads in football.

I always thought they should go to a rubber helmet type. One that is not too protective but gets the job done enough. Players would never lead with there heads then.
Or like the headgear they wear in wrestling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT