ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shelty needs fired today

He actually has some talent, after all, he threw a perfect game last year. But mentally he is a wreck. Later on last year he showed up in the clubhouse before a game drunk, got into a fight with the manager, was throwing furniture around the clubhouse, and smashed a television.

The Pirates signed him to a minor league deal late in spring training and he had been with Indianapolis most of the year. A month or so ago he opted out of his contract to see if he could get on anyone's major league roster. No one else wanted him, so the Pirates resigned him to another minor league deal. And then with all the other relievers either hurt or sucking or both, they eventually decided to give him a chance in the majors.
Maybe he’s better drunk ?

I guess Im a glutton for punishment because Im still watching this hot garbage. The better question is why does he keep trotting out number 0. Dude's pitching is uglier than well.........................

Trotting him out there is a joke and a disservice to the team. Surely they have some younger guy they can bring up from AAA to pitch and evaluate.

Reactions: sonofabit
I guess Im a glutton for punishment because Im still watching this hot garbage. The better question is why does he keep trotting out number 0. Dude's pitching is uglier than well.........................

Trotting him out there is a joke and a disservice to the team. Surely they have some younger guy they can bring up from AAA to pitch and evaluate.
I’m guessing they want to see if there’s anything there. Pirates gotta hope to hit occasionally with the dumpster diving. Appears we have the answer.

If they signed him the oughta look into someone who could at least pitch in Trevor Bauer.

I’m guessing they want to see if there’s anything there. Pirates gotta hope to hit occasionally with the dumpster diving. Appears we have the answer.

If they signed him the oughta look into someone who could at least pitch in Trevor Bauer.
How many times do you need to see the dude walk a bunch of guys and then look like hes throwing batting practice to figure out hes not even a AAA talent? Dudes in that locker room know whose legit and whose not. Has to be demoralizing going out and knowing you're going to be down a TD after the first inning

How many times do you need to see the dude walk a bunch of guys and then look like hes throwing batting practice to figure out hes not even a AAA talent? Dudes in that locker room know whose legit and whose not. Has to be demoralizing going out and knowing you're going to be down a TD after the first inning
I don’t disagree but I’ll just refer back to dumpster diving. The season’s over.

I don’t know how much he’s played - seems he’s been in the lineup - but they’re probably doing the same with Henry Davis (and I know that isn’t dumpster diving).

Overall point is it might be a last gasp look at a few guys.

Reactions: pittbb80

Number 0 pitched a perfect game in the majors just last season. And he threw six shutout innings for the Pirates in a start just last month. He is exactly the kind of guy that they should be sending out there. Because if he could ever get his head on straight they could have a really good pitcher there. The problem seems to be that his head is rarely on straight.

Or maybe it's that he pitches better drunk. That also seems to be a possibility.

Number 0 pitched a perfect game in the majors just last season. And he threw six shutout innings for the Pirates in a start just last month. He is exactly the kind of guy that they should be sending out there. Because if he could ever get his head on straight they could have a really good pitcher there. The problem seems to be that his head is rarely on straight.

Or maybe it's that he pitches better drunk. That also seems to be a possibility.
Yeah I’m aware of that. There’s a reason he’s no longer is with the Yankees In between his good performances he’s a wild BP pitcher

It’s not like he has great stuff or is still a young developing prospect

Yeah I’m aware of that. There’s a reason he’s no longer is with the Yankees In between his good performances he’s a wild BP pitcher

It’s not like he has great stuff or is still a young developing prospect

He's not with the Yankees because he showed up for a game drunk, got into a big argument with the manager, threw a bunch of furniture around the clubhouse, and smashed a clubhouse television.

None of that had anything to do with his pitching.

He's not with the Yankees because he showed up for a game drunk, got into a big argument with the manager, threw a bunch of furniture around the clubhouse, and smashed a clubhouse television.

None of that had anything to do with his pitching.
Sounds like a high character guy. But yeah. His incredibly talented arm and stuff made him well worth the risk. Too bad he didn’t go off on Shelton before they demoted him

He realizes that he's only going to be a major league manager for a couple more weeks, and then he is almost certainly never going to get to be a big league manager ever again. And that's got to kill a baseball lifer like him.
Not sure the Pirates would necessarily let him go. It's not like hiring good managers is suddenly going to become a thing in Pittsburgh. It's also not like the ownership is going to suddenly bend over backwards to put a winning team together either. Doesn't matter who runs the day to day.

Not sure the Pirates would necessarily let him go. It's not like hiring good managers is suddenly going to become a thing in Pittsburgh. It's also not like the ownership is going to suddenly bend over backwards to put a winning team together either. Doesn't matter who runs the day to day.
I think a manager that is the right fit for this team would help. I agree that the manager's ability to turn around the franchises' fortunes is limited, but I think they can make a difference at least a bit. Now, how much of a difference that manager can make is debatable. Does it give you an extra win or two, or can it lead to six or seven or eight or more wins?

I think a manager that is the right fit for this team would help. I agree that the manager's ability to turn around the franchises' fortunes is limited, but I think they can make a difference at least a bit. Now, how much of a difference that manager can make is debatable. Does it give you an extra win or two, or can it lead to six or seven or eight or more wins?
The closest you'll get to a "right fit" is a guy like Tomlin who is very good at being very mediocre. It's really the best case scenario as long as you manage expectations as well as the Steelers do.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall

I think if they win fewer games than last year they'll fire him just because of the PR hit they'll get if they don't. If somehow the Pirates play well over these last three weeks and eke out a few more wins than last year they will probably keep him around and just get rid of a few of the coaches.

Except Andy Haines. He's obviously indispensable.

Reactions: pittdan77
The closest you'll get to a "right fit" is a guy like Tomlin who is very good at being very mediocre. It's really the best case scenario as long as you manage expectations as well as the Steelers do.
In terms of "right fit," I am talking about someone who can appropriately motivate the players, whether that means challenging some guys, and chewing them out when they deserve chewed out. This is a relatively young team I think they need someone to mold them more than Shelton. Shelton doesn't seem to push any buttons for the players.

Reactions: psu 83
In terms of "right fit," I am talking about someone who can appropriately motivate the players, whether that means challenging some guys, and chewing them out when they deserve chewed out. This is a relatively young team I think they need someone to mold them more than Shelton. Shelton doesn't seem to push any buttons for the players.
Pros shouldn’t need to be motivated. If they’re not, they have the wrong players. Or it could just be they aren’t that good.

Reactions: pierre93
All I know is they lose a lot. Every year. How they fix that,I have no idea.
The only way is to have good drafts and supplement via free agency with mid road guys. They can’t/won’t pay top end and the Buccos aren’t exactly a destination. Until someone does that, it’s blow up/fire, rinse, repeat. I imagine a good manager would have more wins, but nothing significant enough to matter. Too many players who outright stink, and the bullpen has been a disaster.

The only way is to have good drafts and supplement via free agency with mid road guys. They can’t/won’t pay top end and the Buccos aren’t exactly a destination. Until someone does that, it’s blow up/fire, rinse, repeat. I imagine a good manager would have more wins, but nothing significant enough to matter. Too many players who outright stink, and the bullpen has been a disaster.
For sure a good manager wont make this team a contender However this team has lost a number of games because of a lack of fundamentals (dumb base running, sloppy play in the field and poor approaches at the plate) as well as idiotic decisions by Shelton.

Not sure they would have make the wild card but they sure as heck would not have collapsed like they have

Pros shouldn’t need to be motivated. If they’re not, they have the wrong players. Or it could just be they aren’t that good.
I am not talking about motivating in terms of a manager who is all "Rah rah win one for the gipper!" I agree pros really do not need that. But good leadership makes a difference in any organization, whether it's pro sports or college sports or youth sports or business or anything else. A good leader's job is to find ways to motivate, even if ever so subtle, to get everyone to believe in the group's effort and perform optimally. It seems to me that Shelton's managerial ways have not accomplished that.

Sheltie is coming back. This organization is a joke
Basically wash, rinse, repeat, in five or six year cycles. They've just managed to figure out how to not be the White Sox all of the time and will get lucky once in a while with the expanded playoffs. But enough people buy into the "just wait til next year" mindset that there is zero need for ownership to do anything different.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT