ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sid should NOT have been named the All-Star Tournament MVP

Dr. von Yinzer

Chancellor
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2010
I don’t think that All-Star games or whatever people call them these days matter in the least. Also, I don’t really care about individual awards at any time. However, I do agree with Edzo and Pierre, Kris Letang was very clearly the AST MVP yesterday.

Crosby was his typically dominant self. It’s not like him winning the award was a horrible miscarriage of justice. However, he definitely got it because of who he is as much as what he actually did yesterday. That said, Kris Letang was the best player in that tournament and deserved the recognition/car.

I don’t think that All-Star games or whatever people call them these days matter in the least. Also, I don’t really care about individual awards at any time. However, I do agree with Edzo and Pierre, Kris Letang was very clearly the AST MVP yesterday.

Crosby was his typically dominant self. It’s not like him winning the award was a horrible miscarriage of justice. However, he definitely got it because of who he is as much as what he actually did yesterday. That said, Kris Letang was the best player in that tournament and deserved the recognition/car.
You full of baloney on this one. He was CLEARLY the best performer on the ice last night.

I can't believe any still watches that game.

You full of baloney on this one. He was CLEARLY the best performer on the ice last night.
It’s really irrelevant because all star games are pretty pathetic these days...but Letang was the best player on the ice. I too found myself saying to myself that he was worthy of the prize. Not only was Letang scoring goals, but he was playing defense and making those lead passes out of his defensive end. In 3v3 hockey, who is more valuable than the only defenseman on the ice who can also provide the type of offense that the forwards provide? Letang hands down should have been the winner, but no way it wasn’t going to be Crosby.

Btw, how much of a debacle was the pro bowl? It’s become a Saturday pregame walkthru. Unwatchable.

The only All Star game not total garbage is The National Pastime—- MLB
No! Baseball sucks as a sport in general, the NHL all star game is BY FAR the best one! Not even close, it's a 60 minute 4 team tournament and you can watch and actually care who wins. It's great. NBA should copy it!

Reactions: PittCity
No! Baseball sucks as a sport in general, the NHL all star game is BY FAR the best one! Not even close, it's a 60 minute 4 team tournament and you can watch and actually care who wins. It's great. NBA should copy it!
If you like Snowflake hockey, football and bb , yeah , of course then you’d like that garbage.

Baseball, the only real sport and still The National Pastime

Reactions: Teh Teh
I was at the 90 all star game at civic arena, it was awesome. Nba all star game back in late 80s and early 90s was still an event.

Intraleague play in baseball destroyed the mlb all star game. Nfl game was never watchable.

If you like Snowflake hockey, football and bb , yeah , of course then you’d like that garbage.

The only garbage sport is baseball, the worst, most boring sport in the world, snowflake Americans convince themselves to like it because it's supposedly "our" sport, but it sucks so bad that younger people are wising up and abandoning the snoozefest, the average age of people that identify baseball as their favorite sport is like 57 and rising.

Reactions: Jakey_John
I was at the 90 all star game at civic arena, it was awesome. Nba all star game back in late 80s and early 90s was still an event.

Intraleague play in baseball destroyed the mlb all star game. Nfl game was never watchable.
I was one of the few who watched the pro bowl back in the day. I couldn’t get enough football then and knew that the game was the last one for several months.

Now, the game is unwatchable. I turned it on yesterday and wanted to jump out of my skin.

National pastime as in...Ancient history!!

See thee ball...hit thee ball with club, but not until me adjust battling glove Velcro 20 time between pitch.

The biggest most visible star almost always gets voted the MVP of these things.

Take the Pro Bowl (please). I didn't watch much of this... game ... which isn't an accurate word. But the occasional minutes I did, the fullback from KC was the only guy I saw regularly making any plays. I thought for sure he would be the easy MVP choice. But, big surprise (not), the most hyped QB of the regular season was given the award. I think Mahomes played one series? Maybe 2? But that's how it often goes.

Letang is fairly famous, unlike that fullback. But Crosby is much, much better known than Letang, and Crosby actually put a bunch of pucks in the the net that night as well. So not much of a surprise at all. The opposite would have actually been a huge surprise. After all, remember the Fitz thread below and the bemoaning of all the lazy, dense media types who only vote for the starting QB on the top team for the Heisman. Sad but very predictable.

And anything that made baseball even a little appealing, like base stealing, hit and run, suicide squeeze, even balls hit in play to be fielded and have base runners on the move, the moneyball approach destroyed, now it's all play for a walk, swing for the fences, put on the shift, change pitchers every inning so they are fresh to throw hard and we have taking pitches over and over, HRs, BBs and Ks dominating the already boring sport.

Reactions: paulbl99

I don't watch that crap but 4 goals and 4 assists???? And no MVP? Really?

See thee ball...hit thee ball with club, but not until me adjust battling glove Velcro 20 time between pitch.
FK, I am reading a book now, just started it. Thought it was going to be about steelers 70's dynasty but so far its about football in 70's, the rise of popularity in late 60's and how it overtook baseball.. It's a pretty good book. Nothing that is intellectually enlightening but a good bathroom book as I like to call it..

The first 1/3 really talks about the political climate, the social climate, brings up names and how it evolved, especially with the creation of MNF.. It doesn't glamorize steroids/drug use but it doesn't hide from it either.. the drug use, the alcoholism, pain pills that were so prevalent at the time (and still is probably). So far, I recommend it..

Just wanted to bring it up since the topic of baseball as our past time comes up o here. Anyways, book it titled "the last Headbangers" by kevin cook.. pretty good read..

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
And anything that made baseball even a little appealing, like base stealing, hit and run, suicide squeeze, even balls hit in play to be fielded and have base runners on the move, the moneyball approach destroyed, now it's all play for a walk, swing for the fences, put on the shift, change pitchers every inning so they are fresh to throw hard and we have taking pitches over and over, HRs, BBs and Ks dominating the already boring sport.
I like baseball still but a lot of this post I agree with.. Heck, I see a guy go from first to third on a ball hit to centerfield, I get excited since it's such a rarity anymore.. That old mindset of baseball is gone. I read one of DiMaggio's biographies (there are about 20) and I remember reading about how batters would do anything to not strike out back then, it was such an embarrassment. Amazing how that mindset is completely irrelevant now, that playing for one big inning has dominated the game recently.

Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
FK, I am reading a book now, just started it. Thought it was going to be about steelers 70's dynasty but so far its about football in 70's, the rise of popularity in late 60's and how it overtook baseball.. It's a pretty good book. Nothing that is intellectually enlightening but a good bathroom book as I like to call it..

The first 1/3 really talks about the political climate, the social climate, brings up names and how it evolved, especially with the creation of MNF.. It doesn't glamorize steroids/drug use but it doesn't hide from it either.. the drug use, the alcoholism, pain pills that were so prevalent at the time (and still is probably). So far, I recommend it..

Just wanted to bring it up since the topic of baseball as our past time comes up o here. Anyways, book it titled "the last Headbangers" by kevin cook.. pretty good read..
Sounds good. I’ll check it out. I’m also tagging @ricflair4LIFE, as he’s always been one to enjoy a good sports read.

I like baseball still but a lot of this post I agree with.. Heck, I see a guy go from first to third on a ball hit to centerfield, I get excited since it's such a rarity anymore.. That old mindset of baseball is gone. I read one of DiMaggio's biographies (there are about 20) and I remember reading about how batters would do anything to not strike out back then, it was such an embarrassment. Amazing how that mindset is completely irrelevant now, that playing for one big inning has dominated the game recently.
Today its about launch angles instead of line drives. There’s no shame in a strikeout anymore.

The Pro Bowl needs to be retired, no one playing yesterday was going to risk getting hurt on that crappy wet AstroTurf.

The NHL All Star Game is fun and it would be interesting if the NBA tried something similar.

You know basketball players have egos, and it's not really that dangerous, guys could go all out because they want to prove they are the best, and the risk of injury is not that great. It would be a battle.

Are you really comparing batting gloves to football, where you have like 120 plays per game TOTAL? Its guys in spandex wrestling with other other, making a play and having a 10 minute tea party to celebrate.

Nice racial slur there though.

And you are all on drugs if you dont think baseball doesnt have the best all-star game. You have football, which I have no idea what the heck that is, but its 2 hand touch apparently? Hockey and basketball where it is zero defense, and whoever can juke the goalie out the most wins, and baseball, where it is actually the same sport being played by the best players.

Kiick thee ball
Kiick thee ball harder!!!!!!!

Then flop like a tuna fish carried off on a stretcher for a play a hockey player would spit teeth out, shake his head and not miss a shift.

The only garbage sport is baseball, the worst, most boring sport in the world, snowflake Americans convince themselves to like it because it's supposedly "our" sport, but it sucks so bad that younger people are wising up and abandoning the snoozefest, the average age of people that identify baseball as their favorite sport is like 57 and rising.
Kiick THEE BALL

The perfect sport.......for SNOWFLAKES

Oh man, how come every time we have a thread about sports, it turns into the same people blasting and promoting soccer. Soccer wasn’t even mentioned and now we are blasting it.

Someone made a good point, baseball all star game is probably the best because it’s still the same game, played the same.

Kiick thee ball
Kiick thee ball harder!!!!!!!

Then flop like a tuna fish carried off on a stretcher for a play a hockey player would spit teeth out, shake his head and not miss a shift.
There it is!! I was waiting for it. Nicely done. Or as they say in real football...BRILLIANT!! That was a real cracker!!

Reactions: Pitt79 and paulbl99
Oh man, how come every time we have a thread about sports, it turns into the same people blasting and promoting soccer. Soccer wasn’t even mentioned and now we are blasting it.

Someone made a good point, baseball all star game is probably the best because it’s still the same game, played the same.
Agree. I am disillusioned by baseball overall since the Pirates have no chance to ever win. But the ASG is still best.

Reactions: Pitt79
You know basketball players have egos, and it's not really that dangerous, guys could go all out because they want to prove they are the best, and the risk of injury is not that great. It would be a battle.
Yeah that’s why 200pts will be put up soon

They really battle it out, that said why should they it’s a risky game in reality....
Thus, it’s garbage in ALL STAR format
Total garbage

The only real game played mostly as is is MLB....

The only real game played mostly as is is MLB.
And that’s it’s down fall! Hit thee ball!!!

Any idea why someone interjected race into this thread? I’ve seen racial accusations thrown into some really bizarre discussions, but this one might take the cake.

ok. Please explain this?????
Yeah, I missed any racial slurs. Just the usual “baseball sucks, no soccer sucks, no hockey sucks, no nba sucks” debates that we always get into.

Because we all need to have the same opinion on entertainment and are not allowed to like and dislike different sports then each other.

Yeah, I missed any racial slurs. Just the usual “baseball sucks, no soccer sucks, no hockey sucks, no nba sucks” debates that we always get into.

Because we all need to have the same opinion on entertainment and are not allowed to like and dislike different sports then each other.
Meanwhile it’s all in good fun. We have all been down this road before and know each other’s likes and dislikes. Paul knows I’m ribbing him and isn’t taking anything personally and he knows I’m not taking things personally either. It’s what men do. Maybe there’s too much toxic masculinity in this thread. We’re doomed.

Meanwhile it’s all in good fun. We have all been down this road before and know each other’s likes and dislikes. Paul knows I’m ribbing him and isn’t taking anything personally and he knows I’m not taking things personally either. It’s what men do. Maybe there’s too much toxic masculinity in this thread. We’re doomed.
have we confirmed where, if at all, the racial slur was?

Letang should win the Norris Trophy this year. Having seen other defensemen he is slightly better than the rest. The best way to see this in action is to watch the Pens without him for a handful of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT