ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sourdough starter discard and the art of pizza

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Strange times indeed. I like to cook. I hate to bake. Cooking, I look at recipes or dishes for inspiration, then kind of do my own take on them. Baking.....man that is hard. It is math. It is science. Alas, I am a chemist or materials engineer at my core (I am really just a lazy sales dude now) so I should be able to handle this.

Since being grounded from March 16th on, every day spent in my home office (yeah, not the roughest of lives I will admit) I look for things to do. I have planted the mother of all vegetable gardens, even though only 2 of us live here. So....I decided for whatever reason, to make my own sourdough starter. This is supposed to be a 7-10 day endeavor, I am now on day 20, obsessing on perfection. For the uninitiated, sourdough starter, is basically just flour and water, and the natural yeasts "bloom", and each day you add both, discard some until it reaches some magical point where it used as a leavening agent for bread or dough. I am still confused, still working on it.

However, the "discard" (literally stuff you would throw away) is good, perfectly good for something. So finally, I decided I am going to use this to make homemade pizza. But I didn't want to do it in my oven, because I have grills and grills can get really hot. So I got some pizza stones, I have a weber grill, and cranked that baby up.

If you research on the internet, there are a billion pizza dough recipes. A billion sauce recipes. But it is also more than recipe, it is a technique. I mean, I learned, to get that dough off of a pizza peel onto a stone without sticking and keeping all of its toppings is hard. I failed before. Which is why I was on day 25 and still counting of making starter discard and finally gaining the courage to do it.

I finally found a recipe I liked. There is a very famous pizzaria in Brooklyn called Roberta's, their dough is lauded and simple, but alas, it doesn't use a levain (leavener) aside from yeast. So.........hey I am a smart dude, I said "eff it", and applied Science (how's that SMF) and changed the ratio's of the flours and water and yeast to also include my discard. So I made the dough yesterday. I even altered it more, I can't help it, it is why I like to cook and hate the rigidity of baking, a bit of whole wheat flour, 00 Caputo flour, Organic AP flour, sourdough discard, yeast, water, salt a bit of olive oil. Made the dough, let it rise, follow Roberta's procedure. Let it proof over night.

Made a sauce from canned DOP italian San Marzano tomatoes, some garlic, oregano, basil and olive oil, uncooked and processed.

So I made apizza for me and my guests. My god it was great. Fresh Mozzerella, pepperoni, some mushrooms, basil, some salame, it was was great. I made my grill like a defacto woodburning stove by placing a log in with the coals. There are alot of things I learned to do next time that will improve it. But man, it was great and great fun.

Why am I telling you this? I dunno. There isn't much else going on, not much going on with hard football or recruiting news, tired of reminiscing and the toxic politics of today, I think this is one thing at least we can all agree with, making good pizza.

Strange times indeed. I like to cook. I hate to bake. Cooking, I look at recipes or dishes for inspiration, then kind of do my own take on them. Baking.....man that is hard. It is math. It is science. Alas, I am a chemist or materials engineer at my core (I am really just a lazy sales dude now) so I should be able to handle this.

Since being grounded from March 16th on, every day spent in my home office (yeah, not the roughest of lives I will admit) I look for things to do. I have planted the mother of all vegetable gardens, even though only 2 of us live here. So....I decided for whatever reason, to make my own sourdough starter. This is supposed to be a 7-10 day endeavor, I am now on day 20, obsessing on perfection. For the uninitiated, sourdough starter, is basically just flour and water, and the natural yeasts "bloom", and each day you add both, discard some until it reaches some magical point where it used as a leavening agent for bread or dough. I am still confused, still working on it.

However, the "discard" (literally stuff you would throw away) is good, perfectly good for something. So finally, I decided I am going to use this to make homemade pizza. But I didn't want to do it in my oven, because I have grills and grills can get really hot. So I got some pizza stones, I have a weber grill, and cranked that baby up.

If you research on the internet, there are a billion pizza dough recipes. A billion sauce recipes. But it is also more than recipe, it is a technique. I mean, I learned, to get that dough off of a pizza peel onto a stone without sticking and keeping all of its toppings is hard. I failed before. Which is why I was on day 25 and still counting of making starter discard and finally gaining the courage to do it.

I finally found a recipe I liked. There is a very famous pizzaria in Brooklyn called Roberta's, their dough is lauded and simple, but alas, it doesn't use a levain (leavener) aside from yeast. So.........hey I am a smart dude, I said "eff it", and applied Science (how's that SMF) and changed the ratio's of the flours and water and yeast to also include my discard. So I made the dough yesterday. I even altered it more, I can't help it, it is why I like to cook and hate the rigidity of baking, a bit of whole wheat flour, 00 Caputo flour, Organic AP flour, sourdough discard, yeast, water, salt a bit of olive oil. Made the dough, let it rise, follow Roberta's procedure. Let it proof over night.

Made a sauce from canned DOP italian San Marzano tomatoes, some garlic, oregano, basil and olive oil, uncooked and processed.

So I made apizza for me and my guests. My god it was great. Fresh Mozzerella, pepperoni, some mushrooms, basil, some salame, it was was great. I made my grill like a defacto woodburning stove by placing a log in with the coals. There are alot of things I learned to do next time that will improve it. But man, it was great and great fun.

Why am I telling you this? I dunno. There isn't much else going on, not much going on with hard football or recruiting news, tired of reminiscing and the toxic politics of today, I think this is one thing at least we can all agree with, making good pizza.

Like.

If you ever need help on starter, I got the best source.

Have you ever tried these guys?

http://www.wildfirebread.com/

https://www.driftwoodoven.com/

Reactions: HailToPitt725

It's funny becuase Rachel Ray always says the same thing about baking. She can cook anything, but baking? pffffffft

I have been making homemade pizzas for a very long time. Honestly for me, it’s hit or miss on quality. I have gotten much better at a NY style pizza. Found a guy on YouTube who put 2 versions in great detail.
The bottom line, real baking needs the right environment, the right science, and patience. I’ve destroyed many crusts mostly from carelessness and impatience.
One thing I have actually perfected, cinnamon rolls. It’s the one thing with dough I actually get right.
I would love a legit pizza oven, but you still have to do everything else right before it hits the heat.

Ha, cool. My wife is on day twenty something of her starter. She's still not happy with it, and at one time had two different ones going. She started hers with grapes and has been leaving it out uncovered to collect natural yeast. The bread is still a bit heavy, although she seems to be getting better with sugar additions and letting it rise overnight.

She used her discard this morning for pancakes. Good idea for the pizza dough. I usually don't add much yeast when I'm making dough anyway.

Ok, so give me the technique for getting a loaded pizza onto a 700-800 degree baking stone on the grill. I love grilling pizza, it's so good. But, I always have trouble getting that pie onto the stone. I've floured the shite out of the peel, but still struggle. Maybe I need more flour? I know some use cornmeal, but I'm not a huge fan of cornmeal all over the bottom of my pie. I've been debating smaller and thicker pizza crusts doused with flour.

I get so pissed when I have a disfigured pizza on the stone with uneven toppings, but it still taste good.

You live a hard life. No wonder you hate people who want to go back to work.

Ha, cool. My wife is on day twenty something of her starter. She's still not happy with it, and at one time had two different ones going. She started hers with grapes and has been leaving it out uncovered to collect natural yeast. The bread is still a bit heavy, although she seems to be getting better with sugar additions and letting it rise overnight.

She used her discard this morning for pancakes. Good idea for the pizza dough. I usually don't add much yeast when I'm making dough anyway.

Ok, so give me the technique for getting a loaded pizza onto a 700-800 degree baking stone on the grill. I love grilling pizza, it's so good. But, I always have trouble getting that pie onto the stone. I've floured the shite out of the peel, but still struggle. Maybe I need more flour? I know some use cornmeal, but I'm not a huge fan of cornmeal all over the bottom of my pie. I've been debating smaller and thicker pizza crusts doused with flour.

I get so pissed when I have a disfigured pizza on the stone with uneven toppings, but it still taste good.
I’ve read about the dough not coming off the peel as an issue with the dough. I’ll have to find that reasoning. Are you using wood or metal peel?

Here it is:

Pizzas sticking to the Stone Baking Board or peel can be the result of a few variables:
  • The dough is too wet.
  • Your dough has a hole in it. If your dough has a hole in it, the toppings will fall into the oven and can cause the pizza to stick. Be careful to check this while your pizza is still on the peel.
  • You are trying to lift the pizza too soon. If you try to rotate the pizza too quickly, the bottom will still be moist and will stick. Give your pizza a few extra seconds to begin to crisp on the bottom.

Giving a gentle blow of air under the base can help to ease the pizza in to the oven.

Meant to reply to gunga...

Sounds like your dough is too wet and/or your peel needs to be more floured. You should keep adding a bit of flour while you kneed the dough- when it loses all of the stickiness you are done.

Personally, I like to cook wood fired pizza on cast iron (see below) instead of a stone. The dough pretty much repels itself from the cast iron. It crisps the bottom well while leaving to crust chewy. Making a couple smaller pies is much easier than one larger imo.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/lodge-cast-iron-round-griddle/?target=reload

Here it is:

Pizzas sticking to the Stone Baking Board or peel can be the result of a few variables:
  • The dough is too wet.
  • Your dough has a hole in it. If your dough has a hole in it, the toppings will fall into the oven and can cause the pizza to stick. Be careful to check this while your pizza is still on the peel.
  • You are trying to lift the pizza too soon. If you try to rotate the pizza too quickly, the bottom will still be moist and will stick. Give your pizza a few extra seconds to begin to crisp on the bottom.

Giving a gentle blow of air under the base can help to ease the pizza in to the oven.
Yes....it definitely starts with the dough. I think the 24 hour hold in the fridge helped dry it out. Definitely tried not to have too wet of a dough.

Yes, I floured the hell out of the dough when I was stretching it out and forming a pizza. Then I floured the hell out of the peel. When I put the dough on the peel, before anything, I made sure it slid easily. Then I quickly put on the sauce (not too much) and toppings, again not to much. And again, I made sure my pizza slid easily.

Then just took it to the stone and slid it on. Out of the 3, only one gave me some trouble (not a disaster) and that was because that one had a real thin spot where some sauce leaked through.

But flour, flour, flour hands, dough and peel.

And it was a wooden peel.

Meant to reply to gunga...

Sounds like your dough is too wet and/or your peel needs to be more floured. You should keep adding a bit of flour while you kneed the dough- when it loses all of the stickiness you are done.

Personally, I like to cook wood fired pizza on cast iron (see below) instead of a stone. The dough pretty much repels itself from the cast iron. It crisps the bottom well while leaving to crust chewy. Making a couple smaller pies is much easier than one larger imo.

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/lodge-cast-iron-round-griddle/?target=reload
I got a Lodge cast iron square skillet. It's great. I use it on my gas grill for burgers and steaks. It gets screaming hot, it gives that great sear and crust for the meat, and it eliminates flare ups. Also, because it is outside on the grill no worries about smoke. If you don't use this for steaks or burgers, I highly recommend.

Yes....it definitely starts with the dough. I think the 24 hour hold in the fridge helped dry it out. Definitely tried not to have too wet of a dough.

Yes, I floured the hell out of the dough when I was stretching it out and forming a pizza. Then I floured the hell out of the peel. When I put the dough on the peel, before anything, I made sure it slid easily. Then I quickly put on the sauce (not too much) and toppings, again not to much. And again, I made sure my pizza slid easily.

Then just took it to the stone and slid it on. Out of the 3, only one gave me some trouble (not a disaster) and that was because that one had a real thin spot where some sauce leaked through.

But flour, flour, flour hands, dough and peel.

And it was a wooden peel.

The overnight slow rise will add that sweetness to the dough too.

I use Kettlepizza Pro. It turns a round Weber charcoal grill into a pizza oven. You need to add an optional steel topper to it but when you do the oven can consistently hit 900 degrees which means the pizzas are done 60-90 seconds.

I guess we are having pizza tomorrow...

883619f201edc292d5e232200498e1c6.jpg

The overnight slow rise will add that sweetness to the dough too.

I use Kettlepizza Pro. It turns a round Weber charcoal grill into a pizza oven. You need to add an optional steel topper to it but when you do the oven can consistently hit 900 degrees which means the pizzas are done 60-90 seconds.

I guess we are having pizza tomorrow...

883619f201edc292d5e232200498e1c6.jpg
Yes, definitely looking at getting one of those.

Thanks for all of the tips. I use wood and I'm going to assume its a combination of dough too wet and probably too thin as I've thought the sauce is contributing to the issue. I've also made them too big and with too many toppings. Next attempt will be smaller, drier, thicker and less loaded.

FYI, someone I work with swears by the Ooni pizza ovens.
https://ooni.com/

The low hood is the key as it cooks the top. I may try to make a hood out of metal that can be placed over the stone. Someone probably sells one online too.

Thanks for all of the tips. I use wood and I'm going to assume its a combination of dough too wet and probably too thin as I've thought the sauce is contributing to the issue. I've also made them too big and with too many toppings. Next attempt will be smaller, drier, thicker and less loaded.

FYI, someone I work with swears by the Ooni pizza ovens.
https://ooni.com/

The low hood is the key as it cooks the top. I may try to make a hood out of metal that can be placed over the stone. Someone probably sells one online too.
Yes, reading up on that Kettle pizza insert for the kettle grill, that is what it does too, provide a hood for convection for the top of your pizza to cook as rapidly as the bottom on the stone.

Here it is:

• The dough is too wet.

Also - a small quick forward motion with the peel, followed in the same motion by a power pullback will drop most pizzas just fine if the bottom is floured popperly, and isn't wet.

Yes, reading up on that Kettle pizza insert for the kettle grill, that is what it does too, provide a hood for convection for the top of your pizza to cook as rapidly as the bottom on the stone.

Without out that insert you are maybe 200 degrees lower and the top doesn't cook as well.

Fun Fact: No one has ever seen Rachel Ray and Owtie at the same time....

Coincidence? I say not.
LOL

Well nothing is going on with Pitt sports. Nothing is really going on with recruiting. I can only do so many "reminiscing" posts about past games, especially when the last 35 years or so have failed to produce even one top 10 season. There are only so many "who was the best player to wear number XX", and then there are the music posts, which I like, but you have things like most eclectic groups/performers you like and some jughead will put in Journey, Springsteen and the Beatles, while others will I think make up groups because they are such under the radar groups they want to show how friggin avant garde they are. And then we have the political posts, the binary X and O of an unwinnable tic tac toe game. So....hey, everyone likes pizza.

Baking is relaxing, as long as you aren't making something super complex. I make killer brownies, cookies and cakes. A decent crumble too. I don't f around with stuff like scones, pies, puff pastries, all that difficult nonsense. I also like cooking, but that is more of an art than a science.

LOL

Well nothing is going on with Pitt sports. Nothing is really going on with recruiting. I can only do so many "reminiscing" posts about past games, especially when the last 35 years or so have failed to produce even one top 10 season. There are only so many "who was the best player to wear number XX", and then there are the music posts, which I like, but you have things like most eclectic groups/performers you like and some jughead will put in Journey, Springsteen and the Beatles, while others will I think make up groups because they are such under the radar groups they want to show how friggin avant garde they are. And then we have the political posts, the binary X and O of an unwinnable tic tac toe game. So....hey, everyone likes pizza.
Touche!

LOL

I would much rather read this thread than most of the other ones on this board.

You morphed into DVY.

It's called boredom. I can't even cut grass right now to pass the time, it is all dried out and is in Mid August form.
A common affliction these days. We ate out last night, Allegheny County, it was packed. W/o booze, it'll be interesting to see the turnout tonight.
The highlight was seeing Mr. & Mrs. McCutcheon leave in their black-n-gold McLaren. The sound was worth about $100K.

Baking is relaxing, as long as you aren't making something super complex. I make killer brownies, cookies and cakes. A decent crumble too. I don't f around with stuff like scones, pies, puff pastries, all that difficult nonsense. I also like cooking, but that is more of an art than a science.
Try cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. Worth a try.

The New York style pizza video I saw mentioned at minimum 24 hours in fridge. He even went 48 hours. This is his version 2, using regular oven.

ADVERTISEMENT