ADVERTISEMENT

OT: stadium thoughts on LA, Cha, Atl

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Some random NFL stadium thoughts

- LA - why did they build a dome? The weather is perfect all year in So Cal? Its the only pro or D1 turf field in California and just looks terrible on TV. Watching a dome turf game on TV doesn't say "LA" to me.

- Atl - when do they open the roof? I dont watch the Falcons but I think I've only seen the roof opened once for an Atlanta United game. Its supposed to be 70 Wednesday in Atlanta. Wouldn't it make sense to open the roof with Omicron raging?

- Charlotte - was surprised to see they converted to turf, especially with the MLS team starting in March. Soccer is much better on grass. From being down there, looks like they made a soccer-specific upgrade in taking out the firsr few rows of seats at midfield to create a player walk-out tunnel. They also put in field-level suites in the endzone that for some reason, look a lot nicer than what Heinz did.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

- LA - why did they build a dome? The weather is perfect all year in So Cal? Its the only pro or D1 turf field in California and just looks terrible on TV. Watching a dome turf game on TV doesn't say "LA" to me.

- Atl - when do they open the roof? I dont watch the Falcons but I think I've only seen the roof opened once for an Atlanta United game. Its supposed to be 70 Wednesday in Atlanta. Wouldn't it make sense to open the roof with Omicron raging?

- Charlotte - was surprised to see they converted to turf, especially with the MLS team starting in March. Soccer is much better on grass. From being down there, looks like they made a soccer-specific upgrade in taking out the firsr few rows of seats at midfield to create a player walk-out tunnel. They also put in field-level suites in the endzone that for some reason, look a lot nicer than what Heinz did.
I know it’s not what you’re looking for as a response in this thread, but that blue field in Boise is just as hideous today as it was 15 years ago. If Boise were my team or school, I’d have to transfer. It’s unwatchable to me.

I know it’s not what you’re looking for as a response in this thread, but that blue field in Boise is just as hideous today as it was 15 years ago. If Boise were my team or school, I’d have to transfer. It’s unwatchable to me.

Actually, I like the blue turf. What I don't like is Coastal Carolina's surf turf. The teal color just makes it look like there's something wrong with the picture on your TV. I haven't watched an Eastern Michigan game but their gray turf, to me, would make it look too much like playing on asphalt.

1. Even though LA has good weather, they want to attract as many events as possible. It eliminates any potential rain from impacting the events and maximizes fans from sitting in direct sunlight. I also think it's an architectural feature. The stadium looks pretty cool, but I read it's very difficult to navigate and maybe it's just me, but the seats look very far away from the field given all of the levels. I'm not sure there's a single FieldTurf field that looks good on TV.

2. It seems like retractable roof stadiums rarely open the roof, even in perfect weather. Probably a waste of a few hundred million dollars in construction costs.

3. This stadium had some of the worst turf in sports. I'm surprised they didn't try a different breed of grass or replace it more often throughout the season like the Steelers do. The suites look nicer because they are seats whereas the Steelers are club seats...though the two huts they have look cheap and out of place.

1. Even though LA has good weather, they want to attract as many events as possible. It eliminates any potential rain from impacting the events and maximizes fans from sitting in direct sunlight. I also think it's an architectural feature. The stadium looks pretty cool, but I read it's very difficult to navigate and maybe it's just me, but the seats look very far away from the field given all of the levels. I'm not sure there's a single FieldTurf field that looks good on TV.

2. It seems like retractable roof stadiums rarely open the roof, even in perfect weather. Probably a waste of a few hundred million dollars in construction costs.

3. This stadium had some of the worst turf in sports. I'm surprised they didn't try a different breed of grass or replace it more often throughout the season like the Steelers do. The suites look nicer because they are seats whereas the Steelers are club seats...though the two huts they have look cheap and out of place.

Its LA though. It rarely rains. Plus, they could have built the roof overtop the seats (but not the playing surface) if they were that concerned about LA rain. Man, to me, that roof was a waste of a quarter billion or whatever it cost and the turf field there and lack of sunlight just take away from the LA football experience. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I used to enjoy the heck out of turning on a USC, UCLA, or old Raiders/Rams game to see a pristine grass field in December sunlight. Totally hate that LA has a turf field.

2. I agree that these retractable roofs never get opened. I dont understand it. You'd figure a place like Atlanta would have it opened 90% of the time since the weather is pretty good there.

3. I agree the turf in Charlotte looked weird. Too green, too fake. I cant believe they are going to have an MLS team play in an 80K stadium. Maybe if they struggle with attendance, Mr. Tepper would take a look at building them a stadium on Bates and Blvd. I heard he saw they are widening Bates St.

I don't know about ATL but the reason the old civic arena never opened the roof was because it was A. costly and B. they had major mechanical issues that made it risky.

In the 80's they opened the Civic Arena for a Beach Boys concert and had some sort of malfunction that caused them to not re-open the roof for years.

I think LA's turf is the best looking artificial turf in the NFL, by far, and it's not even close.

Not exactly a dome. The stadium does have a roof, but the sides are open air. As for "perfect" weather, it is currently the midst of the rainy season (what passes for winter) in Southern California.

I don't know about ATL but the reason the old civic arena never opened the roof was because it was A. costly and B. they had major mechanical issues that made it risky.

In the 80's they opened the Civic Arena for a Beach Boys concert and had some sort of malfunction that caused them to not re-open the roof for years.
I saw the Civic Arena roof open after a concert in the 70s, and all I remember is the amount of smoke coming out made it look like it was on fire.

I think LA's turf is the best looking artificial turf in the NFL, by far, and it's not even close.
Speaking of turf, what is wrong with the stuff they have in Indianapolis? It looks awful. Atlanta and New Orleans also have terrible looking turf.

Reactions: upj87

The other thing that happened towards the end was that the new scoreboard that they put in for the Penguins actually made it impossible to open the roof without removing the scoreboard, and that was a lot more trouble than what it was worth.

I love the blue field, I also love Eastern Washington's red field.

The other thing that happened towards the end was that the new scoreboard that they put in for the Penguins actually made it impossible to open the roof without removing the scoreboard, and that was a lot more trouble than what it was worth.
I thought those really high upper decks they put in were also part of the problem.

That's right. I forgot about that. I think at that point they just gave up on the thought of opening it up because it had been so long.

I thought those really high upper decks they put in were also part of the problem.

IIRC, the scoreboard that caused the problem came before the second balconies were built. As someone who had Penguins season tickets in the balcony both before and after the second balconies were built I don't think that the way they were constructed would have stopped the roof from being opened, because they were not attached to the roof in any way, but I concede the possibility that I am not remembering the whole story.

Its LA though. It rarely rains. Plus, they could have built the roof overtop the seats (but not the playing surface) if they were that concerned about LA rain. Man, to me, that roof was a waste of a quarter billion or whatever it cost and the turf field there and lack of sunlight just take away from the LA football experience. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I used to enjoy the heck out of turning on a USC, UCLA, or old Raiders/Rams game to see a pristine grass field in December sunlight. Totally hate that LA has a turf field.

2. I agree that these retractable roofs never get opened. I dont understand it. You'd figure a place like Atlanta would have it opened 90% of the time since the weather is pretty good there.

3. I agree the turf in Charlotte looked weird. Too green, too fake. I cant believe they are going to have an MLS team play in an 80K stadium. Maybe if they struggle with attendance, Mr. Tepper would take a look at building them a stadium on Bates and Blvd. I heard he saw they are widening Bates St.

Technically, Sofi Stadium has a translucent canopy, not a roof. And the real benefit of the canopy is it blocks the direct sun on a typical cloudless California day that would make half of the seats very uncomfortable. This has been a huge problem for the 49ers at Levi’s Stadium. The East side of Levis’s is brutally hot.

Waterfowl die every year diving into the turf. Also, the seats there are insanely steep. I almost fell down the stairs and I was sober.
Sober

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
SMF has the weirdest takes.

They put a roof on it because it’s in LA and it allows them to host basically any global event.

It’s that simple.

They put a roof on it because it’s in LA and it allows them to host basically any global event.

It’s that simple.
My Dad is in La right now. It’s 45 degrees and raining.

If money is no object and you want a roof, you get a roof. It’s quite simple.

My Dad is in La right now. It’s 45 degrees and raining.

If money is no object and you want a roof, you get a roof. It’s quite simple.

If money is no object, why not a retractable roof that is open 90% of the time with a grass field. That stadium looks terrible on TV.

If money is no object, why not a retractable roof that is open 90% of the time with a grass field. That stadium looks terrible on TV.
Looks fine to me. Maybe they should have gone with a blue turf with gold horns coming out of the goalposts. Then maybe it would meet your approval.

There ended up being some engineering issues with the roof in Mercedes Benz Stadium so they almost never open it. It can be opened, they just rarely do it.

Reactions: pittdan77

It’s that simple.
Obviously Vegas needs it because of the heat, but the reason you gave was mentioned at the time Allegiant was being designed as well.

You're very overly sensitive to how stadiums "look" on TV, I watch games on TV and notice nothing but the game itself, not how many fans are there, or the roof or the quality of the turf (unless it's like Heinz Field 15 years ago :) ) honestly WHO CARES?

Speaking of turf, what is wrong with the stuff they have in Indianapolis? It looks awful. Atlanta and New Orleans also have terrible looking turf.
I think a lot of this is a stadium lighting problem more than a turf problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT