ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers OC

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
I recall seeing a podcast with Merrill Hoge and QB7 a few days ago - Sunday night maybe? - and Big Ben was touting Byron Leftwich for the Steelers OC if they choose to dismiss Canada ... I'm pretty sure Leftwich is currently unemployed by any other NFL team ... thoughts? I know he was on the Tampa Bay sideline when Brady was there

I recall seeing a podcast with Merrill Hoge and QB7 a few days ago - Sunday night maybe? - and Big Ben was touting Byron Leftwich for the Steelers OC if they choose to dismiss Canada ... I'm pretty sure Leftwich is currently unemployed by any other NFL team ... thoughts? I know he was on the Tampa Bay sideline when Brady was there
I heard about that and was intrigued initially.

I also heard about a month ago that Leftwich contacted the Steelers in an effort to be a consultant on the offensive side of the ball and it was said that the Steelers didn’t take the call or respond.

Lastly, while it does intrigue me because anything is better than Canada…I believe a deep dive into Leftwich’s resume leaves little to be desired.

Forget cronyism…aim for the stars. Get someone with pedigree. Should have happened last year but won’t happen until after this year. And I’m preparing to be underwhelmed.

How much more nepotism and cronyism can an organization display? I don't want anyone who has had anything to do with the city of Pittsburgh. I don't want the next OC to know what an effing pierogi is.
I’d take coach Todd back in a heartbeat.

I think Leftwich would be an improvement. He’s a hell of a lot better than a guy like Josh McDaniels.

How much more nepotism and cronyism can an organization display? I don't want anyone who has had anything to do with the city of Pittsburgh. I don't want the next OC to know what an effing pierogi is.
THIS^^^ I want someone who is from a team like KC or SF or Miami, with a modern offensive passing scheme and not overly obsessed with running the ball. Someone who is the opposite of the perceived "Steelers Football"

I think Leftwich would be an improvement. He’s a hell of a lot better than a guy like Josh McDaniels.

What about each do you like and not like? Seems like Brady basically made both of them.

League rankings in points per game with McDaniels:
7 TB
1 TB
8 Matt Cassel
1 TB
3 TB
4 TB
3 TB
3 TB
2 TB
4 TB
7 TB
27 Cam Newton
6 with Mac freaking Jones

League rankings in points per game with Byron Leftwich:
32 (Arizona - interim)
4 TB
3 TB
2 TB
25 (Brady was toast at this point)

agree with the board, we need zero steelers' ties or connections. in the last better part of a decade, we are a losing organization with a losing culture. need a change, this is no longer your father's steelers folks.

agree with the board, we need zero steelers' ties or connections. in the last better part of a decade, we are a losing organization with a losing culture. need a change, this is no longer your father's steelers folks.
But but but…if you fire Tomlin, he will be hired within 60 seconds and maybe even by the Browns!

Isn’t this what we always hear??

At which point my response is so what!!! We wish him well in his future endeavors.

I’m tired of me and my brethren getting duped by the greatest orator in sport.

Reactions: CCHS82
Hire Bobby Slowik from Houston. Or Ken Dorsey from Buffalo. Either might come here with the chance of succeeding Tomlin. Definitely Bienemy if he also gets canned when Ron Rivera is fired.

The last person that I want is anyone who has ever been affiliated with this team, especially post-Arians.

But but but…if you fire Tomlin, he will be hired within 60 seconds and maybe even by the Browns!

At which point my response is so what!!! We wish him well in his future endeavors.

yes he would because the nfl re-circulates the same coaches and honestly, he'd probably succeed at his next destination. Both sides would benefit, it happens all the time with nfl coaches. andy reid is probably the greatest example of needing new scenery..

Reactions: jctrack
THIS^^^ I want someone who is from a team like KC or SF or Miami, with a modern offensive passing scheme and not overly obsessed with running the ball. Someone who is the opposite of the perceived "Steelers Football"
It doesn't matter what your scheme is when you have Mahommes running your offense.

San Fran?

The 49ers are pretty old school in scheme. They probably run more 21 and 22 personnel then any team in the league.

I think most fans believe the 49ers are some cutting edge offense beacuse they've been a good offense the past few years. But, they run the ball extremely well and they have a great play action / boot game just like Shanahan's dad had in Denver.

Well I lived in Philadelphia, the situation was a lot like Pittsburgh now.
Long term Coach in Reid, play off runs but came up short. Good Coach but it ran its course and change was needed. Everyone knew he would be hired shortly after being fired.
He went on to better things, so did the Eagles. Change can be good for both

San Fran?

The 49ers are pretty old school in scheme. They probably run more 21 and 22 personnel then any team in the league.

I think most fans believe the 49ers are some cutting edge offense beacuse they've been a good offense the past few years. But, they run the ball extremely well and they have a great play action / boot game just like Shanahan's dad had in Denver.

I don't think anybody thinks they're cutting edge. They're like the quintessential, "Uh, sure that might work if you have 49ers talent" reference people make about teams that just want to take the air out of the ball.

Who and where is the next Chuck Noll and/or Bill Cowher? Granted, Tomlin has not had any losing seasons, but under our previous two coaches we won a hell of a lot more playoff games. Cowher basically "teed up" a dynasty team for Tomlin when he retired, and all Tomlin achieved was one Super Bowl (miracle) win and a loss (that never should have happened). Results from that point forward are pedestrian at best ...

Long term Coach in Reid, play off runs but came up short. Good Coach but it ran its course and change was needed. Everyone knew he would be hired shortly after being fired.
Good analogy

Reactions: Pitt79
San Fran?

Lots of play action. Lots of motion. The Steelers do none of that and are the most predictable team in the league that gives away their plays on every down. Combined with Frisco having guys running open on every play…yeah I’d say yinzers find that attractive.

I don't think anybody thinks they're cutting edge. They're like the quintessential, "Uh, sure that might work if you have 49ers talent" reference people make about teams that just want to take the air out of the ball.
They have excellent offensive players.
Lots of play action. Lots of motion. The Steelers do none of that and are the most predictable team in the league that gives away their plays on every down. Combined with Frisco having guys running open on every play…yeah I’d say yinzers find that attractive.
You can't run a bunch of play action if you don't run the ball well.

Canada was the king of motions/shifts. Not sure if they do it anymore or not. I haven't watched them more then 5-10 minutes this entire year. I do watch the 49ers quite a bit though.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Said this on the pay side too, Madden mentioned today that the Steelers should sign McDaniels tomorrow as a consultant. That’s the smartest thing he’s said in a long time.

Reactions: jctrack
Pitch it to Old Art that changing head coaches wouldn’t be a ‘firing’ or otherwise expression of dissatisfaction with the Original Great Rooney Rule Hire … it would be quest to find the NEXT Tomlin. Assure Art that Tomlin OF COURSE has achieved OBVIOUS Hall Of Fame status with his MAGNIFICENT career here 🙄 and that there’s nothing left for him to accomplish here.

Pitch him that it’s time for his Ultimate Progressive Sports Team to find and anoint ANOTHER up and coming young cutting edge under the radar or whatever else hype adjective minority coach and give HIM ( or even HER ) the chance to prove to all the BIGOTS that minority coaches are da bomb.

Because quite the opposite from being bigots, Steelers fans would LUST for a coach of ANY color, gender, gender identity, partner preference, religion, or creed that would finally break the chain of mediocrity of the past decade. Winning trumps prejudice.

Normally it would be mathematically dumb to automatically discount 85% or whatever of the coaching population to prioritize a minority … but quite frankly since all the tired old retread coaches that all the other NFL teams hire are usually white guys, going with a minority strictly because he’s a minority probably stands the best chance of actually WORKING.

Use the bigotry (or total lack of risk taking, more accurately) of the other NFL teams to find someone REALLY different, and not just talking of his skin color.

Leftwich is not good. The Bucs offense under him was extremely stagnant and predictable. He's a run on first and second and pass on 3rd down kinda OC. No motion, no play action. Just line up and beat your man.

They have excellent offensive players.

You can't run a bunch of play action if you don't run the ball well.

Canada was the king of motions/shifts. Not sure if they do it anymore or not. I haven't watched them more then 5-10 minutes this entire year. I do watch the 49ers quite a bit though.
Canada doesn't use any motion other than jet, which every defense ignores because no one cares if Calvin Austin or Connor Heyward gets 7 yards once a game. The other 10 times we run jet it's a handoff and the edge crashes in and kills the RB.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
It doesn't matter what your scheme is when you have Mahommes running your offense.
True, but I want to play the way Andy Reid plays and whatever happens happens, then do what I can to fill the position of QB with someone who can handle it, make that my #1 priority.

San Fran?

They get receivers open in space, that's priority one IMO, Steelers receivers are always blanketed fighting for contested catches.

Said this on the pay side too, Madden mentioned today that the Steelers should sign McDaniels tomorrow as a consultant. That’s the smartest thing he’s said in a long time.
Any outside offensive coach is superior to any Steelers coach, including Tomlin.

He's a run on first and second and pass on 3rd down kinda OC. No motion, no play action. Just line up and beat your man.
That's stupid, that's Yinzer Orgasm offense and it's for morons, it sucks, Rooney and Tomlin are such idiots, they think nonsense like that can actually work :)

What you hear far too often from opposing defensive players is they know the play before it’s run . Not good !

Whomever the next OC is he needs to find an offensive line that can pass block and occasionally open holes for the running game .

Kenny P got hit on 9 of 16 pass attempts on Sunday , Ouch !

The running game generated 70 yds including the qb runs . Pathetic.

Matt Canada has shown over the last 21/2 seasons that he doesn’t have the answers , what really concerns me is that even with better schemes they need better players up front .

My main priority in the off season would be to sign the very best free agent O lineman they can regardless of position and draft another one with their first pick . ( a center would be nice )

I haven’t decided yet if KP was just an excellent college qb , but he needs to feel that the can drop back without getting hit on every play .

Tomlin has no choice other than replacing MC , if he retains him and the offense still stinks ( which it would ) next season he‘s putting his own job in jeopardy.

Art Rooney and Omar Kahn need to play a significant role in the hiring of the next OC .

Biggest argument with Reid was lack of ability to
Big argument, which Reid in Philadelphia was his ability to make adjustments in the second half.

Reactions: Gep Dawg

Big argument, which Reid in Philadelphia was his ability to make adjustments in the second half.
He said they he made mistakes with Donovan. He over corrected him about mistakes and it made him hesitant and conservative. He didn’t do that with Mahomes, he just lets him play.

I can’t say I was an Eagles fan. I was born in Peach Tree Georgia and raised a Falcons fan. I enjoyed watching them, and think Andy is a good coach. It was time after 12 years for a change. Helped both teams, think it’s time for Tomlin too

Reactions: FireballZ
San Fran?

The other thing that I think that stands out in Shanahan’s offense in SF is the presnap motion. It’s extremely effective because all of those guys are potential receiving targets, but also because they are all physical blockers. So a FB in motion could be a potential receiver and a WR in motion could be blocking an edge (or even running the ball). And the same alignments and movements are used to run and pass. So the defense has to hesitate and respect every guy.

Ironic since Canada used that window dressing so effectively at Pitt. But he had those tough versatile players like Conner, Aston, Henderson, and Holtz. I’m not sure why he hasn’t used some of that stuff with Heyward and Washington, but I’m guessing a poor OL requires those guys to be more one dimensional. And the WRs aren’t the Swiss Army knife that Deebo is.

Last edited:
Hire Bobby Slowik from Houston. Or Ken Dorsey from Buffalo. Either might come here with the chance of succeeding Tomlin. Definitely Bienemy if he also gets canned when Ron Rivera is fired.

The last person that I want is anyone who has ever been affiliated with this team, especially post-Arians.
Dorsey is pretty underwhelming IMO. Daboll really helped make Josh Allen what he is and Dorsey has sort of rode that, but not sure he could recreate that magic without a talent like Allen.

I really like what KOC has done in Minnesota. Former Pitt assistant Brian Angelichio is TE coach and passing coordinator there and might be a good candidate.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I’m not sure why he hasn’t used some of that stuff with Heyward and Washington, but I’m guessing a poor OL requires those guys to be more one dimensional.
I heard a rumor in Canada's 1st year when he was trying to replicate some of his college stuff with all the shifts/motions paired with the jet sweeps, it was made fun of by some of the players and it fell out of favor. Much of Canada's success is having the QB go under center and be a tremendous distributor with great fakes and such and Ben was buying into all of that so they stayed more in the gun.

Good point. Although It wasn’t an argument it was the truth. He still has this problem. But a legendary once-in-a-generation QB like Mahomes completely negates any need to make changes….so this doesn’t even come into play for Reid anymore. Basically he still doesn’t make adjustments and is pretty ineffective when his 10-20 scripted plays run out. But his star QB just wins games for him anyway.

I also agree he really hurt Donovan by controlling him more than Mahomes. It was detrimental to the offense as well. I’m not sure he was as good as Mahomes but we will never know because he was definitely limited by Andy’s compulsive obsession to control everything about the offense then.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT