ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the Bucs don’t look terrible

Today we saw the obvious example of where replay is needed and works. 2 men on, a Red Sox batter just pulls a curveball down the line and into the stands. It was ruled a 3 HR. The ONLY person in the stadium who thought was fair was the 1st base umpire who called it a HR. The batter didn't even think it was fair. Pirates go from 4-1 lead to 4-4 tie.

It was an egregious error and quickly overturned. The Pirates maintain their 4-1 lead. THIS IS WHAT REPLAY IS SUPPOSED TO DO! Not parse a frame by frame replay that shows the runner's finger comes off of the bag for a millisecond while he beats the tag yet is called out.

First sweep of the season! Also, first HR of the year for Carlos Santana. I’m anxious to see what the shift ban does for his game.

Reactions: 303vND
Today we saw the obvious example of where replay is needed and works. 2 men on, a Red Sox batter just pulls a curveball down the line and into the stands. It was ruled a 3 HR. The ONLY person in the stadium who thought was fair was the 1st base umpire who called it a HR. The batter didn't even think it was fair. Pirates go from 4-1 lead to 4-4 tie.

It was an egregious error and quickly overturned. The Pirates maintain their 4-1 lead. THIS IS WHAT REPLAY IS SUPPOSED TO DO! Not parse a frame by frame replay that shows the runner's finger comes off of the bag for a millisecond while he beats the tag yet is called out.
I didn't see it live, but watched the replay. Not sure how the umpire could have possibly thought it was fair. He must've blinked at the wrong time or something.

Reactions: 303vND
This was about six years ago now, but he was found guilty of assaulting his girlfriend (choking, kicking). Was suspended 30 games at the minor league level (link).

Apparently it hasn’t stopped him from making it to the big leagues, but I’d imagine his past will rear its ugly head on this team if he ever breaks out or we start winning again.
I’m a big believer in redemption through behavior, and second chances. Keep on the sunny side, kid.

Reactions: HailToPitt725

I agree with your take, but how do you make the distinction between an egregious error and one that is not? It is a slippery slope, and with the technology now available, making the perfect call has become the goal, rather than correcting an egregious error.

is it any differnt than being a pitt football fan in the 90's or even late 80s? We knew Johnny Majors had literally dementia and we just re-hired him, watched us lose by 60 and 72 points in back to back weeks while he stood on the sidelines, incoherent to where he even was.. but we still were fans knowing that we had zero chance of winning..

it's called being a fan. you dont stop rooting for the team cause they arent good.. we were pitt hoops fans when 1/2 the team was in street clothes on the bench, under investigation from robbing a house earlier in the day.. yet we still watched those teams..

if that's yinzer then i am a yinzer..
Nice. Fred Primus works his way into a Bucco thread.

I'm actually a little more encouraged with the depth of the starting rotation this year. I don't think we have any true top end talent, but I think we have 9 capable starters.

Keller, Bru, Velasquez, Oviedo, Roansy, Burrows, Priester, Ortiz, Hill.

I'm not speaking in terms of a playoff rotation just that I think on any given night we can win a July-August game with one of these guys.

The bullpen is smoke and mirrors right now and will hurt the team big time.
I heard Bob Pompeani rave about this pitching staff but i just don't see it , I know I don't follow baseball like I used to, but when the #2 guy on the staff is a 43 year old who has averaged 5 wins a year over the last 17 years , it does not add up to inspiring...and I think it all comes down to pitching most of the time

I think thier might be light at the end of tunnel. They have some high upside guys on the team and in the minors. Should be adding a potential star in Crews or one of those pitchers in the draft. feels 2011ish.
Unfortunately as a Pirates fan, that light at the end of the tunnel is usually a freight train about to make impact with those standing around watching it.

Reactions: pittdan77
I heard Bob Pompeani rave about this pitching staff but i just don't see it , I know I don't follow baseball like I used to, but when the #2 guy on the staff is a 43 year old who has averaged 5 wins a year over the last 17 years , it does not add up to inspiring...and I think it all comes down to pitching most of the time
It is mediocre today. And that is ok because it has potential to be a top half staff or better as soon as next year. Lots of solid arms in the system.

Unfortunately as a Pirates fan, that light at the end of the tunnel is usually a freight train about to make impact with those standing around watching it.
I think that light is a 3 yr window that will get shut down due to nuttings cheapness. just hope that once the team gets good, some things go their way and they get to the WS like the Royals. 2015 pirates were good enough to win the whole thing, but got stuck in the Wildcard game against a pitcher having a historically great season. Hopfully the next good pirates team gets dealt a better situation.

I think that light is a 3 yr window that will get shut down due to nuttings cheapness. just hope that once the team gets good, some things go their way and they get to the WS like the Royals. 2015 pirates were good enough to win the whole thing, but got stuck in the Wildcard game against a pitcher having a historically great season. Hopfully the next good pirates team gets dealt a better situation.
I want to see them win the whole thing at least once in my lifetime! Honestly, winning the NL pennant but losing in the World Series would be pretty crushing to me, I'd almost rather see us lose in an earlier round. The way the franchise operates, the windows of opportunity are so narrow ... they really need to win it all if they get there.

Reactions: Ranson1989
I want to see them win the whole thing at least once in my lifetime! Honestly, winning the NL pennant but losing in the World Series would be pretty crushing to me, I'd almost rather see us lose in an earlier round. The way the franchise operates, the windows of opportunity are so narrow ... they really need to win it all if they get there.
we're due, man. I'm 33 and I think the Pirates are one of just 2-3 teams to not make the WS in my lifetime. If the Rays/Royals can make it to the WS twice, we can at least get to the pennant.

Hard to belive the pirates were the top dog in this city for sports for a good 70+ yrs. They are historically still a winning franhise despite being awful since 1980.

Hard to belive the pirates were the top dog in this city for sports for a good 70+ yrs. They are historically still a winning franhise despite being awful since 1980.
I was lucky as a WPA kid to grow up in the 70s. Pirates and Steelers competitive every season, and Pitt football emerging as power. The Steelers certainly delivered in January. But day in and out through the spring, summer and early fall, it was the Pirates that actually dominated.

Younger fans really can’t imagine how ingrained in every summer day that the Pirates were. You listened (and occasionally watched, on rare occasions of TV games) and you cared about every game. Exciting lineup with several HOF players. Clemente, Stargell, Oliver, Parker, Madlock, Blass, Candelaria, Tekulve. Some great rivalries with the Reds, Phillies etc. Baseball was a wonderful pastime to have in the background of a summer back then. In some cities, that is still true of course. Not in WPA. Dead and gone.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
I was lucky as a WPA kid to grow up in the 70s. Pirates and Steelers competitive every season, and Pitt football emerging as power. The Steelers certainly delivered in January. But day in and out through the spring, summer and early fall, it was the Pirates that actually dominated.

Younger fans really can’t imagine how ingrained in every summer day that the Pirates were. You listened (and occasionally watched, on rare occasions of TV games) and you cared about every game. Exciting lineup with several HOF players. Clemente, Stargell, Oliver, Parker, Madlock, Blass, Candelaria, Tekulve. Some great rivalries with the Reds, Phillies etc. Baseball was a wonderful pastime to have in the background of a summer back then. In some cities, that is still true of course. Not in WPA. Dead and gone.
People can blame Nutting all they want for baseball being an afterthought in Pittsburgh, and he certainly deserves his share of the blame. But no pro sports league has done more to destroy the goodwill it built with its fans than the MLB. Even if you set aside the payroll disparity, the MLB is horrendous at marketing its teams and players. I can’t name a single young star in the league these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT