ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Cowboys' Uniforms

Oct 25, 2021
I have always found them to be nice but incredibly weird. Whatever color the pants are isn't the same silver shade as the helmet. And then the shade of royal blue on the jerseys and pants is obviously completely different from the navy blue on the helmets. So, for a team that usually wears white jerseys, they're still finding a way to clash four different colors together (not counting the white).

Is this not a fashion violation?

Reactions: boschroll
I kind of dug their away/alternate uniforms in the 70s. That blue gray jersey. I say “alternate” because there seemed no hard fast rule of when they’d wear those or the typical white jersey

mqnwaqicsi8lfnv1zycf.jpg

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Most NFL teams wear dark jerseys at home, but the Cowboys are one of the few who wear white at home. (Come to think of it, I can't think of anyone else who does that anymore. Miami did that for a long time.) That's why you nearly always see them in white

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Most NFL teams wear dark jerseys at home, but the Cowboys are one of the few who wear white at home. (Come to think of it, I can't think of anyone else who does that anymore. Miami did that for a long time.) That's why you nearly always see them in white
Miami wears white for home day games.

Yeah at that time the Cowboys wore their blues once or twice per year. I seem to remember the Skins wearing whites at home, requiring the Boys to wear their blues . I also believe the Eagles went through a period of wearing Whites at home too. I wondered in my youth if any teams switched it up at home against the Cowboys just to get them out of their patented whites.

Here’s a little history I just looked up. The Cowboys have worn whites at home since the early 60’s. In Super Bowl 5, they were the home team and wore their blues. They were forced to do so by NFL rules.

“As the designated home team, Dallas was forced to wear its blue jerseys for the Super Bowl under rules in place at the time, which did not allow the home team its choice of jersey color, unlike the regular season and playoff games leading up to the Super Bowl. Dallas had not worn its blue jerseys at home since 1963, as Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm opted to have the team wear white at home in order to present fans with a consistent look. The Cowboys wore their blue jerseys twice during the 1970 season, losing 20–7 at St. Louis in week three and winning 6–2 at Cleveland in week 13. The designated home team was first allowed its choice of jersey color for Super Bowl XIII, allowing the Cowboys to wear white vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

I have always found them to be nice but incredibly weird. Whatever color the pants are isn't the same silver shade as the helmet. And then the shade of royal blue on the jerseys and pants is obviously completely different from the navy blue on the helmets. So, for a team that usually wears white jerseys, they're still finding a way to clash four different colors together (not counting the white).

Is this not a fashion violation?
Speaking of fashion, I really wished the Steelers would have gone with gray face masks last night. That would have been pretty dope.

Yeah at that time the Cowboys wore their blues once or twice per year. I seem to remember the Skins wearing whites at home, requiring the Boys to wear their blues . I also believe the Eagles went through a period of wearing Whites at home too. I wondered in my youth if any teams switched it up at home against the Cowboys just to get them out of their patented whites.

Here’s a little history I just looked up. The Cowboys have worn whites at home since the early 60’s. In Super Bowl 5, they were the home team and wore their blues. They were forced to do so by NFL rules.

“As the designated home team, Dallas was forced to wear its blue jerseys for the Super Bowl under rules in place at the time, which did not allow the home team its choice of jersey color, unlike the regular season and playoff games leading up to the Super Bowl. Dallas had not worn its blue jerseys at home since 1963, as Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm opted to have the team wear white at home in order to present fans with a consistent look. The Cowboys wore their blue jerseys twice during the 1970 season, losing 20–7 at St. Louis in week three and winning 6–2 at Cleveland in week 13. The designated home team was first allowed its choice of jersey color for Super Bowl XIII, allowing the Cowboys to wear white vs. the Pittsburgh Steelers.”
I always read that they wear white at home because their owner way back in the day wanted their fans to have a chance to see all the visiting teams colors. Interesting that this source says they do it for consistency.

The Cowboys and LSU are the only major football teams I can think of who consistently do this. There are some southern teams that wear white at home early in the season if it's really hot on game day, but not all year.

Yeah, Cowboys have worn white at home for as long as I remember. But I just don't get the different shades thing.

Like, on the infrequent occasions when they do wear their navy blue jerseys, everything matches. The helmets have navy blue, and they wear silver pants with a navy blue stripe.

But at home, they wear those pants that are almost green with royal blue in the pants stripe and jersey numbers, and they pair it with a silver and navy blue helmet. Just odd to me.

I always read that they wear white at home because their owner way back in the day wanted their fans to have a chance to see all the visiting teams colors. Interesting that this source says they do it for consistency.
Not sure who watched the US in the World Cup. But Tyler Adams and Brendan Aaronson from our US team are starters for Leeds United in the EPL. Leeds wears whites at home and therefore wear them in like 90% of their matches. Leeds is owned 49ers ownership and is a club many Americans are adopting.

Not sure who watched the US in the World Cup. But Tyler Adams and Brendan Aaronson from our US team are starters for Leeds United in the EPL. Leeds wears whites at home and therefore wear them in like 90% of their matches. Leeds is owned 49ers ownership and is a club many Americans are adopting.
Isn't that a common thing in soccer? It is in baseball and basketball.

The Cowboys' mismatched pants and helmets always reminded me of the 2016ish Pitt uniforms that had the khaki pants that did not match the helmets.

This is also what annoys me with the NHL changing from home whites to home darks. Every opposing team now wears white which is kind of boring.

Isn't that a common thing in soccer? It is in baseball and basketball.
No. Most home teams wear a color - Liverpool, Arsenal and ManU wear read, Chelsea and Tottenham wear blue, etc. Leeds chose white as their color so that’s what they wear.

Their manager, Jesse Marsch is also American.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
No. Most home teams wear a color - Liverpool, Arsenal and ManU wear read, Chelsea and Tottenham wear blue, etc. Leeds chose white as their color so that’s what they wear.
I thought Tottenham usually wear white at home?

And then as far as teams like Chelsea wearing their blue, they usually wear them as much as they can, at home and on the road except when they play another club like Leicester or Everton that also wear royal. So whenever they have a great away kit in a given year, they rarely wear them.

And then regarding the NHL above, I love the penguin whites and miss the days of them wearing them at home.

I thought Tottenham usually wear white at home?
You could be right.

Honestly, it’s very confusing. Unlike other sports, soccer kits don’t match home, away and third. Newcastle for example wears black and white stripes with red numbers at home. On the road they wear blue and yellow. Their third kit is white with green trim.

In the 70's, lots of teams flip-flopped jerseys from week to week like the Browns, Redskins, Cardinals and some like the Eagles would on occasion wear roadies at home when they played the Cowboys just to be difficult (it worked for Philly in the 80 playoffs and LA in the 79 playoffs). Miami and SD wore lighter jerseys in hot weather.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT