ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Decade

Apr 22, 2018
I just saw a documentary regarding WLIR in New York. I remember coming home in the 1980's and there was a bar on Pitt's campus the Decade. It was famous for finding bands before anyone else. Does anybody know what happen to it? How did the owners find the bands? Thanks in advance.

I just saw a documentary regarding WLIR in New York. I remember coming home in the 1980's and there was a bar on Pitt's campus the Decade. It was famous for finding bands before anyone else. Does anybody know what happen to it? How did the owners find the bands? Thanks in advance.

I saw a book on the Decade in the Pitt bookstore: http://www.pittuniversitystore.com/...URGH&CatID=16038&Name=PITTSBURGH#.Wt-vFsgh3MU

It was a bar named Cappy's I think (next to a deli by the same name). It's now the Garage Door Saloon. Pretty much the same layout. But it has still been a bar since the Decade closed.

I saw Pat Benatar at the decade 2 weeks before anyone ever heard of her.

Later that month.....

One of the fraternities was trying to get me to pledge. I wasnt interested.

So when they invited me to join them at the decade i declined....and missed a chance to see some dude named Stevie Ray Vaughan play to a crowd of 100.

The decade was owned by a guy named Dom Desilva (?). I think he got sick and had to let the place go.

I think....

I saw Pat Benatar at the decade 2 weeks before anyone ever heard of her.

Later that month.....

One of the fraternities was trying to get me to pledge. I wasnt interested.

So when they invited me to join them at the decade i declined....and missed a chance to see some dude named Stevie Ray Vaughan play to a crowd of 100.
saw him, at of all places, city Island Harrisburg Pa mid 80s...you did not miss much..

ADVERTISEMENT