ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The marvels

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Was better than I thought. Maybe because it had a much simpler story to follow annd not super drawn out. Also one of the better mid credit scenes in a while…if they transition away from Kang and focus what’s in the post-credit scene, it is an easy money maker. The Marvels won’t be a blockbuster, but probably better than 61 percent on rotten tomatoes.

Last edited:
Was better than I thought. Maybe because it had a much simpler story to follow annd not super drawn out. Also one of the better mid credit scenes in a while…if they transition away from Kang and focus what’s in the post-credit scene, it is an easy money maker. The Marvels won’t be a blockbuster, but probably better than 61 percent on rotten tomatoes.

I just started season 2 of Loki, does it tie in with that at all?

Are they setting it up so that they can move away from Kang if Jonathan Majors legal troubles aren’t rectified?

I feel like it would be a welcomed new direction with a lot of nostalgia. Not entirely new, teased a little in dr strange and multiverse. But one that may have fan support. You don’t need to have watched Loki for this movie but ms marvel series is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I feel like it would be a welcomed new direction with a lot of nostalgia. Not entirely new, teased a little in dr strange and multiverse. But one that may have fan support. You don’t need to have watched Loki for this movie but ms marvel series is needed.
Interesting.

The latest South Park episode nailed so many things and ripping the multiverse nonsense was spot on.

Holy cow. This movie only did 6.6 million yesterday. It’s going to be an absolute disaster at the box office. It’s been reported that it cost almost 300 million to make, even before marketing. It might end up losing hundreds of millions and more than Indiana Jones lost. How much longer can Disney ride out this slump?

Holy cow. This movie only did 6.6 million yesterday. It’s going to be an absolute disaster at the box office. It’s been reported that it cost almost 300 million to make, even before marketing. It might end up losing hundreds of millions and more than Indiana Jones lost. How much longer can Disney ride out this slump?
Yeah, that’s why I feel they need to completely abolish 95% of the kang story line and just keep a little multiverse to go with what they previewed in the credits.

They're screwed. Ruined the money making franchises that people like and can't create new ones.

Yes. It finally ties in X-Men and the fox ones at that. The nostalgia. Just do those spin offs and leave the kang stuff behind.
I didn’t watch any of those X Men flicks. Should I go back and start watching? I guess Deadpool will be bringing them all back?

I didn’t watch any of those X Men flicks. Should I go back and start watching? I guess Deadpool will be bringing them all back?
Deadpool will bring back the Hugh Jackman Wolverine. But Patrick Stewart, Kelsey grammar, Halle Barry, Anna Paquin, Ian McKellen and Hugh will bring much needed money if they go that direction with the right MCU story.

Deadpool will bring back the Hugh Jackman Wolverine. But Patrick Stewart, Kelsey grammar, Halle Barry, Anna Paquin, Ian McKellen and Hugh will bring much needed money if they go that direction with the right MCU story.
I thought I heard Deadpool was going to cause an incursion and bring the entire Fox universe over.

We just got back from the movie. I thought it was a solid MCU movie that accomplished its purpose of tying together previous films and Disney+ shows with future films. Like Pitt2006 mentioned, it was refreshing to have a Marvel movie with that type of pace.

Last edited:
You spend a not insignificant amount of time on a message board for college sports. I don’t think you have room to judge.

He spends a not insignificant amount of time trolling on a message board for college sports. He pretty much has no room to judge what anyone does on the internet.

Reactions: Ski11585
How old are you guys?
I mean, they might largely all lose money lately due to horrific decisions creatively, but there was a time when marvel movies printed money for the studio. Marvel movies hold the #2, #6, #7 and #10 grossing movies of all time. That doesn’t happen if it didn’t have wide appeal throughout multiple demographics. But stay in your hole. Maybe there’s a good Lifetime movie on the tube tonight.

I mean, they might largely all lose money lately due to horrific decisions creatively, but there was a time when marvel movies printed money for the studio. Marvel movies hold the #2, #6, #7 and #10 grossing movies of all time. That doesn’t happen if it didn’t have wide appeal throughout multiple demographics. But stay in your hole. Maybe there’s a good Lifetime movie on the tube tonight.

The Hallmark channel has to be running Christmas movies at this point, doesn't it?

why won’t you answer how old you are?

I didn’t say anything derogatory….I am simply asking your age.

Friend of mine wrote for Marvel and she told me that the multiverse was always a problem because any time universes came together it was difficult to keep everything straight and just didn't work well. She predicted that the movies would start to suck when the multiverse stuff was first teased. Marvel movies are heading the same direction of a beloved tv series that stuck around for one or two seasons too long.

Friend of mine wrote for Marvel and she told me that the multiverse was always a problem because any time universes came together it was difficult to keep everything straight and just didn't work well. She predicted that the movies would start to suck when the multiverse stuff was first teased. Marvel movies are heading the same direction of a beloved tv series that stuck around for one or two seasons too long.
Yeah I was beginning to think I was stupid for not enjoying time travel and multiverse stuff. But how do these brilliant minds in Hollywood kill the most successful franchise in the history of Hollywood this quickly ?

The weekend numbers are out and the marvels have the worst hold in history…down almost 80% from an already horrific opening weekend. This movie is the biggest movie disaster in history and likely now to lose 500 million dollars.

Yeah I was beginning to think I was stupid for not enjoying time travel and multiverse stuff. But how do these brilliant minds in Hollywood kill the most successful franchise in the history of Hollywood this quickly ?

The weekend numbers are out and the marvels have the worst hold in history…down almost 80% from an already horrific opening weekend. This movie is the biggest movie disaster in history and likely now to lose 500 million dollars.

I hate when they use time travel in movies. It worked well in First Contact and a few others, but usually when I see it I feel like they are just out of ideas.

Will this movie finally be the reckoning for those running the franchises? Probably not.

Last edited:
I hate when they use time travel in movies. It worked well in First Contact and a few others, but usually when I see it I feel like they are just out of ideas.

Will this movie finally be the reconning for those running the franchises? Probably not.
My favorite angle of time travel is the guy coming from 500 years in the future with all sorts of advanced abilities and amazing feats of science to show the folks...Admit it, if anyone of us went back 500 years ago we would talk a great game about the wonders of our time by comparison but in actuality we would realize we don't know schitt and would probably be dead in three weeks if the natives did not take care of us...Could not even build a flashlight...

My favorite angle of time travel is the guy coming from 500 years in the future with all sorts of advanced abilities and amazing feats of science to show the folks...Admit it, if anyone of us went back 500 years ago we would talk a great game about the wonders of our time by comparison but in actuality we would realize we don't know schitt and would probably be dead in three weeks if the natives did not take care of us...Could not even build a flashlight...
What if we had a chainsaw attached to our hand like "Army of Darkness"? Probably would need the natives to refine oil into gasoline right quick.

This is why I liked “ The Batman “ and why I’m a bit wary of the DCU stuff going forward… The Batman with Reeves is already announced as a separate thing ( like Elseworlds or Black Label in comics)… thankfully it’s staying that way

The DCU thing Gunn is planning on doing is reliant on tying all these things together in one Universe.

Marvel is already having some struggles… maybe forcing a multiverse isn’t the greatest plan

Let directors make their films without pre conceived parameters.

The Dark Knight trilogy is another great example of letting the director work without trying to force stuff.

How much of this is Disney and/or the film and how much of it is just new trends in moviegoing? Seems like you want to pin it on Disney but I wonder if folks just don’t go see movies any more. I don’t and nobody in my social circle does post pandemic.

How much of this is Disney and/or the film and how much of it is just new trends in moviegoing? Seems like you want to pin it on Disney but I wonder if folks just don’t go see movies any more. I don’t and nobody in my social circle does post pandemic.
Barbie, Top Gun Maverick, and Super Mario Brothers probably made 4 billion dollars between the 3 of them and each netted their studios hundreds of millions. Disneys Guardians of the Galaxy made some money too. There’s money to be made if the movie making and story telling is good. Studios like Disney and its investors must see this and think that they can do the same.

Heck, there’s a movie called 5 Nights at Freddy’s that was just out, had a $20 million production budget and is about to gross 300 million worldwide. So it’s probably netted the studio 240 million so far.

But yeah, the big budget movies like Marvel movies and the typical Disney movie present a conundrum for Disney. They all cost 200-300 to make, cost another 100-200 to market, 10’s of millions more on reshoots, overruns,etc, and then 100’s to the theaters for rentals. So a typical release has to make 700 million to a billion just to break even. The marvels may not get to 200 million. I don’t know how much longer this is sustainable if movies perform like this and lose 500 million. Disneys Guardians was received well so it got north of breaking even. But too many projects, frankly most of what Disney is putting out now. isn’t good and bomb. For someone like me who typically has liked most of their franchises, I have to wonder how much longer this can go on. Additionally, it’s probably a trend with Disney more so than general moviegoing, considering the viewership for all of their big budget stuff on their platform is essentially non existent. I think you’ve said you liked Andor. I did too. But it cost a heck of a lot of money and no one watched it. Will there be a season 2? Who in their right mind would green light it? And it’s a shame because it was pretty good. No one is watching any of the other Star Wars and marvel stuff either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT