ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Pirates for the rest of this season...

JGregor

Head Coach
Jan 2, 2009
I do not think that ownership should unload their marquee players, Gerrit Cole or Andrew McCutchen.

Ownership has to give the Pittsburgh fan something to cheer about and the possibility of making the playoffs this year. Do not give up, on the season or these two top players. While they may not win the division which would be necessary to make the playoffs, the very least they can be is competitive and give the fans something to watch and cheer about.

It is very difficult to get a top of the line starter like Cole. You have him, you keep him and you re-resign him at the asking price. Invest money in your major leaguers. Don't keep getting prospects and hope that they become Cole or McCutchen.

McCutchen has shown me the quick bat that not many batters have. He measures up to the fastest pitches and it would take a prospect more than two years to reach his current ability.

With Starling Marte coming into the lineup, along with Polanco and Marte, you have the best defensive outfield in baseball, and imposing batters. Now with the Rookie Josh Bell showing that he can hit like he was signed to do, you have four stars right there.

With the top three starting pitchers, Cole, Ivan Nova, and Jameson Taillon, you have three pitchers that could give you three quality starts, should they win three out of five, the Pirates with the other two filling in, The Pirates could be playing .600 ball (3 out of 5).

The relief pitching is strong with Felipe Rivero showing top closer ability and results, and Watson and Nicasio can fill in for the 7th and 8th innings you can hold and win close games.

Cervelli, Mercer and Freese are serviceable and with the back ups Stewart, Diaz, Fraizer and Jaso.

Yes, I'm optimistic and with the aforementioned players and situation, they can make some noise the rest of the season and give Pirate fans their money's worth and something to root and cheer for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News