• Yes I tip a $1

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Yes I tip 10%

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Yes I tip 15%

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • Yes I tip 20% or more

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • No I don’t tip for this basic service.

Votes: 38 44.7%

• Total voters
The other side of tipping, don't be a jerk. Some people let their kids trash a table at an eatery and then think a decent tip compensates. It doesn't. You just screwed over that server because they now have to clean up your mess and their other patrons suffer. This is no joke, my kid dumped something in a restaurant one time when she was about six. I told her we had to clean it up. Even had my daughter use the little floor sweeper while I picked up the bigger pieces. It's just respect, in my opinion. I know my job is difficult enough without extra nonsense. Not doing that to someone else.
I feel like those with heathen kids should tip the customers around them.

My bill should show up with 10% off that he paid for because his kids were obnoxious in my presence.

The situation that really bugs me goes back a couple of years. I ran a pickleball tournament and we wanted to provide a mountain kind of gathering. We rented a barn and hired a caterer for BBQ. The caterer shows up with his wife and sets up/tears down the buffet. He handed me the bill over $1,000 and essentially stated that he expected a tip. with a suggested 20% right on the bill.

Yeah, that's lame. Especially if it was his own business. Why not just charge slightly more?

if you guys are going to tip employees in the service industry, at least have the common courtesy of giving them the tip in cash and not on the debit card/credit card.. they get taxed on that.

i feel like we should all know this by now. seriously, it makes a big difference, tip them in cash. whether its a barber, bartender, server, coffee place, deli or whatever. tip in cash..

I used to tip only in cash, but as people used cards more and more I tend to write in the tip because I just don't carry around cash like I used to.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
i need to start tipping the mail lady. no excuse for me on that one.
Keep in mind that they are only allowed to accept a gift valued at $20 or less per occasion. If you want to give more, I'd break it up into 2 or more gifts.

So out here in the sticks, the expectation for tipping is very different and I always find myself in the awkward position of people refusing tips. The way I've found around that is to leave some cookies in the mailbox at Christmas or some beer with a bow on it on my trash can. Seems to be received more eagerly even if it's less. Even the barber looked at me weird the first time I tipped him and then tipped him extra at Christmas. Servers in small diners are shocked if you give them a "normal" tip.

I'm with @Pitt79 in that tipping feels more and more like a scam. It shouldn't be a source of income. It should be something extra. I also try to give cash when I tip so that it's up to whoever is getting it to decide what to report.

Tipping is such a terrible system because people with guilt complexes like me always tip and plenty of people out there never tip at all, even for sit down service ("it should be included in the bill!").

People wouldn't work service without tips. So I'm subsidizing to keep these places open for the freeloaders. Hate it and also can't stop because I've worked plenty of service jobs and I know what they're going through.

Last edited:
In that case, I would dispute the tip. Not so much because they don't deserve it but it wasn't quoted. Like, if you want 20% more, just charge it. Don't play me.
I paid it. It was good BBQ and the players had a great time.

Yeah, that's lame. Especially if it was his own business. Why not just charge slightly more?
That was what I thought. It's my general thought about tipping owners - just include it in the price.

Some counter service items I will tip for - others I won’t.

I tip Subway, two local pizza places (but strangely not the pizza chain places - don’t ask me to make sense of that), bartenders, but never convenience stores/most other counter purchases.

traditional tipping opportunities I usually over tip.

I used to tip only in cash, but as people used cards more and more I tend to write in the tip because I just don't carry around cash like I used to.
If I do tip in cash.......I always write on the bill "CASH" in the spot for tip so they know I did not stiff them. But yeah, cash is becoming less and less prevalent. Hell, some places don't even accept it now.

If I'm a regular at a counter service place, I'll tip a dollar because I get to know the employees. Other than than, I don't tip for counter service.

If I'm a regular at a counter service place, I'll tip a dollar because I get to know the employees. Other than than, I don't tip for counter service.
I mean if I am checking out a 7/11 or Giant Iggle (an' at Registered Trademark), I am not tipping. If I am at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and getting a cup of coffee, if I am paying by card I will leave a buck, if I am paying cash, I usually leave change in the tip jar.

if you guys are going to tip employees in the service industry, at least have the common courtesy of giving them the tip in cash and not on the debit card/credit card.. they get taxed on that.

i feel like we should all know this by now. seriously, it makes a big difference, tip them in cash. whether its a barber, bartender, server, coffee place, deli or whatever. tip in cash..

Well they actually are supposed to pay tax on all of it. And we know that no one would ever cheat on their taxes, right?

• Love
Reactions: FireballZ
My barber will only accept tips in cas

My barber only accepts tips in cash yet they accept credit card for actual job. Not a fan of this for the very reason of presumptive tax fraud
yep, that barber shaving off 2 bucks from a 5 dollar tip is pretty much how we got to be a nation with a 31 trillion dollar debt...

That could fairly common with barbers; mine is the same. My wife’s hair salon also.
Widespread tax fraud for those running their own business. The outrage on tipping is where restaurants pay under minimum wage but tips push servers above the min wage level. In this case it is simply reporting less than you actually make. This is very prevalent for tipping

I would guess 95% + of tips are not taxed/declared income. I'm not saying they should be but legally they are supposed to be and considered income.

well there is a big reason that every single contractor or sub-contractor offers you 10% or more off of a service if you pay them in cash..

If you ever have someone offering to work on your house (electrical, plumbing, roofing-siding etc), ask them if you pay in cash is it cheaper, they'll always say yes..

Just thought I’d ask this question so people can anonymously and honestly post their poll response. Whether I’m at the 6 pack beer shop, or basic counter service place, I’m being prompted more an more to add a tip. When I get my coffee, I don’t get a latte or goofy complex style, I just get a standard house coffee. If I’m at a place like Panera, I’m pouring the coffee myself but being prompted to tip for the cashier to ring my order and hand me a cup. If I’m at a full service restaurant I generally tip 20% if the service is average and 25% if it’s good. Although when dining on my companies dime, I’m only allowed to tip 18%. But that’s not what this is about. Im Just wondering what other people do for these untraditional counter service type things where the employees are making an hourly wage and not a servers $3.00/hr wage.
This has really frustrated me for the past few years. Not opposed at all to tipping for counter service (particularly when they do something special for you. It’s the part where you might be paying with your card for a few things they cost grabbed behind them and and tip options 20% of 22% 25% are auromatically displayed on the screen.

Not all service is the same. It makes me uncomfortable. A person grabbing a few things out of a case or off the shelf behind you or even pouring a cup of pre-made coffee isn’t really putting in the extra time and effort and thus is not deserving of the same tip amount as say someone who makes me a custom espresso drink exactly the way I want it.

There is a Korean bakery I go to about once a week that has fabulous breads and baked goods that also make amazing espresso drinks. I sometimes end up spending $45 on one espresso drink for me and a bunch of the “pull of the shelf” baked goods for my family. When I go to swipe my card, the tip options read 20% 22% ans 25% with a much smaller and harder to see fourth “custom tip” option.

The person behind the counter is standing there waiting for me to put in the tip. Now I am pretty sure the worker would agree that it would be absurd to give them a 20-25% tip on the entire $45. In those cases, I just find the custom option and put in $3 or $4 tops in those occasions, but it still makes me feel awkward as a customer. Especially because the custom option is trickier and sometimes it won’t submit when I input my custom option and then I have to let the person behind the counter know I am having an issue submitting my custom tip and they have to look at my tip and try to get it to submit. It can get quite annoying.

This has really frustrated me for the past few years. Not opposed at all to tipping for counter service (particularly when they do something special for you. It’s the part where you might be paying with your card for a few things they cost grabbed behind them and and tip options 20% of 22% 25% are auromatically displayed on the screen.

Not all service is the same. It makes me uncomfortable. A person grabbing a few things out of a case or off the shelf behind you or even pouring a cup of pre-made coffee isn’t really putting in the extra time and effort and thus is not deserving of the same tip amount as say someone who makes me a custom espresso drink exactly the way I want it.

There is a Korean bakery I go to about once a week that has fabulous breads and baked goods that also make amazing espresso drinks. I sometimes end up spending $45 on one espresso drink for me and a bunch of the “pull of the shelf” baked goods for my family. When I go to swipe my card, the tip options read 20% 22% ans 25% with a much smaller and harder to see fourth “custom tip” option.

The person behind the counter is standing there waiting for me to put in the tip. Now I am pretty sure the worker would agree that it would be absurd to give them a 20-25% tip on the entire $45. In those cases, I just find the custom option and put in $3 or $4 tops in those occasions, but it still makes me feel awkward as a customer. Especially because the custom option is trickier and sometimes it won’t submit when I input my custom option and then I have to let the person behind the counter know I am having an issue submitting my custom tip and they have to look at my tip and try to get it to submit. It can get quite annoying.
You can avoid all that by actually manning up like Clint Eastwood or John Wayne or Dick Butkus who would not be caught dead drinking an "espresso" and go with the $1 black coffee refill at Sheetz. No tip required. You may actually stand up to pee later..just say'n

You can avoid all that by actually manning up like Clint Eastwood or John Wayne or Dick Butkus who would not be caught dead drinking an "espresso" and go with the $1 black coffee refill at Sheetz. No tip required. You may actually stand up to pee later..just say'n
im glad someone said it. we were all thinking it but somone needed to say something..

well there is a big reason that every single contractor or sub-contractor offers you 10% or more off of a service if you pay them in cash..

If you ever have someone offering to work on your house (electrical, plumbing, roofing-siding etc), ask them if you pay in cash is it cheaper, they'll always say yes..

That's not tax fraud. It's: (1) because then the vendor doesn't have to pay the 5% transaction fee from the payment processor; and (2) they get paid immediately instead of net 30 or whatever the payment processor's schedule is.

That's not tax fraud. It's: (1) because then the vendor doesn't have to pay the 5% transaction fee from the payment processor; and (2) they get paid immediately instead of net 30 or whatever the payment processor's schedule is.
payment processor? you mean like a check? it's because they'd rather have cash so they dont have to claim it..

Widespread tax fraud for those running their own business. The outrage on tipping is where restaurants pay under minimum wage but tips push servers above the min wage level. In this case it is simply reporting less than you actually make. This is very prevalent for tipping

I would guess 95% + of tips are not taxed/declared income. I'm not saying they should be but legally they are supposed to be and considered income.

Yeah I mean the frustrating thing about cash tips and small business owners writing off everything is that it screws the W-2 people (which is most of America).

Some waiter gets to underreport 60% or more of their income and small business owners get to write off their car as a business expense. But the poor schmuck that went to graduate school and works a regular desk job at a company pays full freight. It's a big, big difference.

My philosophy on tipping is I only tip people whose income from that job is dependent on tipping. So basically just waitresses, hair cutters, and delivery drivers. If I order take-out, I dont tip. It only required a cook to make it and a counter person to swipe my card. Those employees are paid a salary to do those jobs.

payment processor? you mean like a check? it's because they'd rather have cash so they dont have to claim it..

No I mean if I pay for my $5,000 air conditioner with my Visa, Visa only pays the HVAC company $4,750 and keeps $250 as a processing fee. Then they wait several weeks before remitting payment to the HVAC company. HVAC company needs cash to pay their employees and other vendors so they want to get paid sooner.

They ask themselves "why pay Visa when I can give a discount to my customer and make them and me happy?" They're just cutting out the middle man. It's not fraud.

No I mean if I pay for my $5,000 air conditioner with my Visa, Visa only pays the HVAC company $4,750 and keeps $250 as a processing fee. Then they wait several weeks before remitting payment to the HVAC company. HVAC company needs cash to pay their employees and other vendors so they want to get paid sooner.

They ask themselves "why pay Visa when I can give a discount to my customer and make them and me happy?" They're just cutting out the middle man. It's not fraud.

Wait, are you saying that people would rather get paid more money sooner rather than less money later?

Huh. Who knew?

Wait, are you saying that people would rather get paid more money sooner rather than less money later?

Huh. Who knew?

It's technically probably the same amount of money but it is sooner. And cash has the benefit of going in your pocket without someone else (Visa) being able to recall the money because of a later dispute.

It’s why gas stations used to advertise two prices: credit, and a lower, cash price.

In NZ, we call that a "Cashy". Many tradies will do weekend work on their own (using the company van...) for cash.

We don't tip in NZ. It's just not a thing here. Kiwis traveling to the US are always very nervous about tipping because they don't want someone to spit in their food.

I stand up and pee just fine my brother.
Funny that two of the guys you said “wouldn’t be caught dead drinking espresso” are already deceased.

If you and Zeldas want to live your life like you are back in 1960 America (apparently when you both were still in your30s by the Celbs you chose) it’s fine by me… but times have changed my friend and quite a lot of men- for the past 30 years - have learned it’s actually okay to step out and try some new things and see if you might like them better. Try it some time.: You might surprise yourself. I promise not to tell Clint -just in case you’re afraid the 93 year old might call you a “big pussy.”

Why in the world someone wouldn’t want to discover new things they might actually like better instead of sticking with the same old stuff that taste like crap - just because it might make them look less manly -is a bit sad and silly —-Even Eastwood changes his mind- Did you know the man who played Dirty Harry and some of the baddest cowboys ever on the big screen is pretty much a vegan now —— just say’n.

“I stick to a vegan diet heavy on fruit and vegetables.”

-Clint Eastwood

By the way - I’m not the only guy who loves espresso drinks - many manly dudes who
have a bit of style and good taste do as well.

Here’s one you might appreciate —

“The best drink is coffee. The best coffee is espresso. The best espresso is double espresso.” (Robert De Niro).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ski11585
im glad someone said it. we were all thinking it but somone needed to say something..

By “We we’re all thinking it” are you referring to

“All men over 80 who thibk they might get laughed at by a few ‘tough guy’ actors and a old time football player and thus are afraid to venture out and try something new that they might actually prefer.”

Here’s an idea… be bold enough to like what you like and don’t worry about what others think. While I am a huge fan of Eastwood as an actor and director, I don’t give a damn that he and those other old geezers prefer sh!+y tasting coffee .

Last edited:
Funny that two of the guys you said “wouldn’t be caught dead drinking espresso” are already deceased.

I wonder if anyone has told Butkus that he's dead yet, because he apparently doesn't know.

And really, is anyone surprised that Wayne didn't make it to 115?

By “We we’re all thinking it” are you referring to

“All men over 80 who think they might have been laughed at by a few dead ‘tough guy’ actors and this are afraid to venture out and try something new that they might actually prefer.”

Here’s an idea… be bold enough to like what you like and don’t worry about what others think. While I am a huge fan of Eastwood as an actor and director, I don’t give a damn that he and those other old geezers prefer sh!+y tasting coffee.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT