ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Today in 1970, Doc Ellis...

I was always a skeptic until I saw this photo of Ellis right after the game:

K3XH2WNQEVGFZMYKALP5ZTEVBM.jpg

No doubt, he was on something...

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
I’ll never forget listening to the game via my transistor radio by my pillow in the upper bunk bed that I shared at age 11, with me younger sister on the bottom at that time (6 kids in the family)

Unlike anything I had listened to before as the ‘Gunner’ tried to describe what was happening, with Doc Ellis walking 8 batters, striking out 6, and throws the no hitter. Bob Prince kept describing how Ellis’ pitches where dancing all over the place and even the quick Manny Sanguillen was struggling catching the game cleanly. Little did we know, although certainly not shocking whenever it was revealed years later what the heck was going on. It actually made some sense, considering what an unusually, crazy pitched game it was that night in Dan Diego.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Speaking to the screwed up drugs we have today i.e. fentynal and others manufactured to basically kill you , This doesn't shock me .
Back in the day acid made you ultra aware of your surroundings ... And often broadened ones horizons ... Or at least got you laid.. Bring on Shine on you crazy Diamond !!

The ‘Roadrunner’, or the ‘Happy Panamanian’. The Gunner gave him 2 nicknames back in the day. Does he still have his place out behind PNC Park selling food/sandwiches ? Met him a few times there over the years and he was always fun & entertaining to talk to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT