ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tunch Retiring

Very sad. Pittsburgh has been blessed by so many great radio personalities. But the Steelers have been especially blessed to have such great broadcasters. I have listened to many other team broadcasters on Sirius XM radio. I know I'm biased, but the Steelers have always had the best crew. I thought the broadcast would really suffer when Myron retired, but Tunch has done a terrific job. He not only made the role his own, but he also totally respected the fact that he was replacing a legend. In doing that, he became a legend himself.

As you get older, you don’t worry about dying, you worry about how you’re going to die. In my opinion, ALS and Alzheimer’s are the worst ways to go. It’s hard on the victim and hard on the people around you.

Best to Tunch and his family…
I may be wrong but ALS is a rare disease but it seems to disproportionately strike football players more than average. Maybe I feel this way because we in the Johnstown area watched local legend Pete "Diesel" Duranko slowly waste away with it.

I may be wrong but ALS is a rare disease but it seems to disproportionately strike football players more than average. Maybe I feel this way because we in the Johnstown area watched local legend Pete "Diesel" Duranko slowly waste away with it.
Maybe because the cases with football players are covered in the media where a salesman or a truck driver doesn’t get much publicity.

Maybe because the cases with football players are covered in the media where a salesman or a truck driver doesn’t get much publicity.
Definitely a possibility. I just wondered if the long term physical beating could be a contributing factor.

As you get older, you don’t worry about dying, you worry about how you’re going to die. In my opinion, ALS and Alzheimer’s are the worst ways to go. It’s hard on the victim and hard on the people around you.

Best to Tunch and his family…
That's so true. I mean heart attacks are often viewed as the most tragic because they are such a shock. But if you think about it.......it was quick for the victim and quick for the family. I think one of the absolute worst phrases ever uttered (and we all have uttered it) is "he/she is in a better place now". I mean how tragic is it for that person and their families to watch someone over a period of a year or three to just disintegrate. That's true misery.

Reactions: pittmeister
Definitely a possibility. I just wondered if the long term physical beating could be a contributing factor.
A friend of mine died from this a few years ago. I did some research at that time, not sure if anything has changed but at the time the most commonly linked group were those with military service.

My mother in law passed away from this terrible disease. It's just an awful way to go. Simple tasks that someone has done their entire life, are impossible to do and you require help with everything. All while the mind is still there. Some things I had to help her with were embarrassing for her and my wife was not strong enough. Prayers for Tunch and his family as they have a tough road ahead.

My mother in law passed away from this terrible disease. It's just an awful way to go. Simple tasks that someone has done their entire life, are impossible to do and you require help with everything. All while the mind is still there. Some things I had to help her with were embarrassing for her and my wife was not strong enough. Prayers for Tunch and his family as they have a tough road ahead.
So sorry to hear…. Alzheimer’s and ALS are horrible ways to go.

I’d take cancer over those diseases any day of the week. You can function for a long time with cancer until the very end. I knew a guy that had cancer and was smoking a cigar and drinking a beer two days before he died. He enjoyed what was left of his life to the end. With those diseases you just suffer mentally and physically from beginning to end

I’d take cancer over those diseases any day of the week. You can function for a long time with cancer until the very end. I knew a guy that had cancer and was smoking a cigar and drinking a beer two days before he died. He enjoyed what was left of his life to the end. With those diseases you just suffer mentally and physically from beginning to end

More states need to enact death with dignity laws.

Reactions: Ski11585

It's why those people who die from a sudden heart attack.....while it maybe the most difficult for the family to handle because it is sudden and often unforeseen, it is the merciful way to go as compared to ALS, Alzheimer's and Cancer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT