ADVERTISEMENT

OT: TV Shows Nailing the Ending

Dinosaurs has got to be up there when the dad triggers an ice age that leads to extinction.

The entire last season of "The Americans" seemed as if the producer spent more time on music selection, than the writers did on the episodes.

Different strokes, I guess. I thought the ending of the Americans, with Stan's dilemma, one of the most riveting scenes I have ever seen, was damn near perfect. I also thought the use of music in the final season was indeed quite good, especially the use of Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms" in the final episode - one of the most beautiful, haunting tunes I know.

Different strokes, I guess. I thought the ending of the Americans, with Stan's dilemma, one of the most riveting scenes I have ever seen, was damn near perfect. I also thought the use of music in the final season was indeed quite good, especially the use of Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms" in the final episode - one of the most beautiful, haunting tunes I know.
Dire Straights is one of my favorite bands, so I always like to hear their music. I just thought the writers attempted to jam too much into the last season. As if they intended it to go on for another four years, and at the last moment tried to jam it all into one. And, I watched the show from the beginning.

Klinger stays in korea cause he finds love with a local and Hawkeye spells out goodbye with sandbags for BJ to see from a helicopter. That's pretty much it.. Way over rated.. I guess TV in 1980, wasn't much else on..

Newhart was creative but I didn't watch the show..
Actually it was BJ that spelled out good-bye. BJ drove off on the motorcycle and Hawkeye took the helicopter out

Yep

Dire Straights is one of my favorite bands, so I always like to hear their music. I just thought the writers attempted to jam too much into the last season. As if they intended it to go on for another four years, and at the last moment tried to jam it all into one. And, I watched the show from the beginning.
Brothers in Arms is absolutely one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
The best finale of any show I've ever seen was the Leftovers, hands down. A mystical episode that finally explained everything (if you chose to believe it). Haunting. Beautiful. And the promise of what we all want in life - to fix our mistakes and start again.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Dinosaurs has got to be up there when the dad triggers an ice age that leads to extinction.

My all time favorite show. I know the later seasons were kinda geared more towards kids, but that first season was pretty raunchy and hilarious once I was old enough to get all the jokes. And yeah, that finale was dark. I was only 10 when it aired and it depressed the hell out of me.

I thought the Soprano's ending was in fact very respectful - you got to believe what you wanted to believe with Tony getting taken out or not.

Veep was a little rushed, but agree very well done.

Leftovers was very well done.

Breaking Bad was good.

Americans was pretty good.

Deadwood was blue balls.

Seinfeld was weak.

Still have to wait and see for GOT, but so many moving parts hard to square it all.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I get it. To each his own. But the beauty of the show is that it has a little something for everyone. But if there’s a certain element that you can’t get past, such as dragons, then it’s not for you.

If you’re turned off by sex, it’s not for you.

If you’re turned off by graphic violence, it’s not for you. It’s likely the most graphic of any show ever created.

If you’re turned off by graphic language and vulgarity, it’s not for you.

If rape, homosexuality and incest cross the line for you in regards to your viewing pleasure, then the shows not for you.

But if you’re into swerves in the plot that go against every rule in tv and cinema ever created, the show is for you. If you’re into complexity in characters and plots that you’ve never seen in any form of entertainment, the show is for you. And the reason that’s it’s the highest rated show in the history of HBO is because it has something for everyone else. It has
  • Action
  • Drama
  • Romance
  • Love
  • Hatred
  • Conspiracy
  • Suspense
  • Sarcasm
  • Wit
  • Intelligence
  • Revenge
  • Wars
  • And oh yeah, there are dragons. Luckily most viewers are able to get past them, similarly to how NFL viewers can get past silly end zone celebrations. HBO and the cast who are now household names can be thankful that the show offers more than can be imagined good stuff that compensate for an element that one finds useless.
Rape, incest, the most graphic violence of any show ever created.
What’s not to love

Reactions: FireballZ
Deadwood was blue balls.
Hopefully the movie wraps it up in a more satisfying way.

Some of my favorite endings
Rome also had a pretty good ending that fit the show's theme.
West Wing's ending was good, despite the last few seasons being weaker.
Conan O'Brien's final episode on NBC nailed it.
Episodes had a pretty great ending.
Frasier
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air - might just be nostalgia but I remember it being great

Lost's was terrible.
Dexter was terrible.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
no love for the cheers ending in this thread. that was one of the better ones IMO..

family ties was one of my favorite shows growing up but I cant remember the details of the final episode. Alex got a job in a bank and was leaving and I think I recall an emotional scene with him and Elyse but still cant remember if it was a powerful ending or if was just 9 years old and it was blah.

Too much politics and not enough humor the last few years. Still the best though.
as a kid I hated it but I love it now. weekends run marathons and I always get sucked in.. I think alan alda did writing last few years and it got way too deep. south Korean mom is smothering infant to death, geez bro, it's a sitcom, lets relax on the infant murder content.

im finding a lot of shows I strongly disliked for some reason or another, I actually like now. Friends I like now, hated it at the time, The office is fantastic, I missed that boat.

Reactions: CCHS82
as a kid I hated it but I love it now. weekends run marathons and I always get sucked in.. I think alan alda did writing last few years and it got way too deep. south Korean mom is smothering infant to death, geez bro, it's a sitcom, lets relax on the infant murder content.

im finding a lot of shows I strongly disliked for some reason or another, I actually like now. Friends I like now, hated it at the time, The office is fantastic, I missed that boat.
I usually gauge MASH as Trapper/Henry and then BJ/Potter with the former being much better than the latter......Also, and I am ashamed of this, I do have to chastise myself for every finding humor with Klinger's attire. As an ever evolving man in search of ever increasing personal woke-ness I know much better now that his questioning nature is no laughing matter.

I usually gauge MASH as Trapper/Henry and then BJ/Potter with the former being much better than the latter......
Trapper and Henry were much better. I didn’t like franks character though. Winchester was an upgrade. The episode where Henry leaves (and dies in crash) still gets me. That episode is a thousand times better and emotional than the final farewell.

Franks character was over the top goofy, almost cartoonish.

Klinger stays in korea cause he finds love with a local and Hawkeye spells out goodbye with sandbags for BJ to see from a helicopter. That's pretty much it.. Way over rated.. I guess TV in 1980, wasn't much else on..

Newhart was creative but I didn't watch the show..
BJ wrote GOODBYE to Hawkeye

M*A*S*H has so many episodes that people seem to forget the early and mid seasons had maudlin and political stuff too. I think the heavy stuff and politics stands out more in peoples minds when it comes to the later seasons is due to the more comedic episodes of that time frame not being memorable.

The final episode of Mad Men was very good, the ending was perfect and it totally summed up Don Draper.

Reactions: TJFAIRLIE
the show MASH did last longer than the actual war/police action. MASH got weird in the last few years, hung on a few years too long. I think Alan Alda took over writing the episodes and well it went downhill..
The show went downhill after Trapper John left. I always thought Hawkeye was an pretty annoying character. When Alan Alda started directing things got sappy.

Last edited:

Very few shows age really well. The Office to me is still usually good but had a lot of dud episodes, especially towards the end. Seinfeld is consistently as good as it was 30 years ago (that makes me feel old). Friends....I guess I just never connected with the humor.

Great thread.

Most great shows always seem to go a season or two too long - probably a lot to do with $$. But some actually did a better than average job - I liked Friends, ER, The Good Wife, but the best of all was the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. That was a long time ago, but they did a superb job the last few weeks.

The ending of Lost was polarizing for sure, but I'm not sure what anyone expected from a show that had so many plots, sub plots and characters that it would be impossible to distill into one finale. However I will admit the ending scene with Jack laying on the ground made me cry. It was a great way to sign off.

Oh and for the record - I never liked MASH.

Very few shows age really well. The Office to me is still usually good but had a lot of dud episodes, especially towards the end. Seinfeld is consistently as good as it was 30 years ago (that makes me feel old). Friends....I guess I just never connected with the humor.

I never connected with the humor on Friends either. I think that's because it isn't funny.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Tim Williams from Pirate's Prospects compared GOT's ending to How I Met Your Mother and I think it's actually a pretty apt comparison. Let me add HIMYM to the "disappointing" column.

Tim Williams said back in 2013 when the Pirates were one big hitter away from possibly making a long run in the playoffs that they shouldn’t trade prospects Gregory Polanco, Tyler Glasnow and Nick Kingham for Giancarlo Stanton because Polanco would be a superstar and Glasnow and Kingham both were top of the rotation starters. Since then, I have given no weight to his opinion on anything.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT