ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Verizon 5G Home Internet

joeydavid

Chancellor
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Just became available in my area. Has anyone switched to it yet? Looking for opinions before dumping Xfinity.

Not interested in hearing about how 5g caused covid 🙄.

Reactions: happjack
Just became available in my area. Has anyone switched to it yet? Looking for opinions before dumping Xfinity.

I've had T-Mobile 5G for a couple months. Kept my old internet connection while testing this out, likely dropping the old one at the end of this month and keeping the 5G. It's $50 per month all in.

For reference, just ran a speedtest and got 63Mb down and 16Mb up. I've run them pretty regular while trying it out and get anywhere from 30Mb down and 8Mb up to 125Mb down and 25Mb up. And I only have 2 bars out of 5. I probably average around 60Mb down and 15MB up, which is better than what I had.

I've heard (but not fact checked) that T-Mobile 5G is a different kind than Verizon 5G, and that the Verizon version should be faster.

I've heard (but not fact checked) that T-Mobile 5G is a different kind than Verizon 5G, and that the Verizon version should be faster.

I wouldn't doubt they're different, but Verizon wasn't available for me. Last year my work switched from ATT to Verizon and my cell rarely gets 5G at my home, almost never when indoors.

We have it and it is great highly recommend it.

I wouldn't doubt they're different, but Verizon wasn't available for me. Last year my work switched from ATT to Verizon and my cell rarely gets 5G at my home, almost never when indoors.
The humor with ATT is I had a partner and when our offices were at One World Financial he couldn’t get a signal. ATT in Manhattan stinks.

I'll keep my ATT Fiber. It's faster. Plus, I need to crush people in Age of Empires and don't want any lag.

5G speeds aren't going to surpass fiber. 99% of people don't need more than 100Mbps and 95% likely don't need more than 50Mbps.

Do a speedtest to see what you're really getting.

5G speeds aren't going to surpass fiber. 99% of people don't need more than 100Mbps and 95% likely don't need more than 50Mbps.

Do a speedtest to see what you're really getting.
We have gigabit fios and upgraded our router -
Which was a life changer last year with all three of us at home running meetings simultaneously

interesting, what area if you don't mind saying? I really think Verizon wants to get out of running cables/FIOS. I think they are all in on the 5G ultra being the one "source". Problem is you need a ton of towers for Ultra so this will take a while to roll out. I'd like to switch when it becomes available but I'm sure Verizon will figure out a way to royally rake me over the coals to do it.

It's kind of confusing now that the 5G that shows on your phone now isn't the true high speed ultra.

interesting, what area if you don't mind saying? I really think Verizon wants to get out of running cables/FIOS. I think they are all in on the 5G ultra being the one "source". Problem is you need a ton of towers for Ultra so this will take a while to roll out. I'd like to switch when it becomes available but I'm sure Verizon will figure out a way to royally rake me over the coals to do it.

It's kind of confusing now that the 5G that shows on your phone now isn't the true high speed ultra.

Murrysville. Fios is available in certain parts just not the plan I'm in. Xfinity has been the only option until now.

Ultra 5G is subject to interference from the structure in which the device is located. This means that you may encounter problems in a home or office building even though towers are nearby. From what I understand, Verizon only offers Ultra. T-Mobile offers two levels of performance: Ultra and something less than Ultra but better than 4G-LTE. Whichever of the T-Mobile signals is available at your location is the one that will get. You can get comparisons on Google and you can find demonstrations on U-tube. The T-Mobile plan is $50.00 per month with no equipment fee. Free trial period. I just signed up for it because it is the only service available to me where I live. I won't have it set up until some time next week. Nothing comes close to fiber optic.

Ultra 5G is subject to interference from the structure in which the device is located. This means that you may encounter problems in a home or office building even though towers are nearby. From what I understand, Verizon only offers Ultra. T-Mobile offers two levels of performance: Ultra and something less than Ultra but better than 4G-LTE. Whichever of the T-Mobile signals is available at your location is the one that will get. You can get comparisons on Google and you can find demonstrations on U-tube. The T-Mobile plan is $50.00 per month with no equipment fee. Free trial period. I just signed up for it because it is the only service available to me where I live. I won't have it set up until some time next week. Nothing comes close to fiber optic.

That's my understanding as well, but I think Verizon has two 5G's. I have a 5G Verizon phone and the icon pops up I am connected to a 5G network. But it isn't Ultra and it is maybe just slightly better that the LTE.

I like the FIOS too but really think Verizon is looking to ditch that and go all in on the Ultra for everything. But I wonder how they get around the interference issues you mention. It just doesn't seem like they are promoting the FIOS like they used to. They used to hustle me all the time to sign up for a new 2-year FIOS contract. Now, I haven't heard from them in years, and the website doesn't really promote many offers either.

Reviving this tread for an update for those that still might be looking.

Upgraded my T-Mobile 5G gateway a while back and I've been getting mid 300Mbps downloads. Just ran a speedtest and got 362 & 368Mbps. I've been very happy with it for $55 a month.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Reviving this tread for an update for those that still might be looking.

Upgraded my T-Mobile 5G gateway a while back and I've been getting mid 300Mbps downloads. Just ran a speedtest and got 362 & 368Mbps. I've been very happy with it for $55 a month.
That's amazing.

The humor with ATT is I had a partner and when our offices were at One World Financial he couldn’t get a signal. ATT in Manhattan stinks.
I work in the wireless industry doing upgrades of equipment on current MCA cell sites. I worked 14 years in the Ohio market. 6 months ago I was moved to the New York market. It is pure madness in that market. I am sure this comes as no surprise, New York has challenges that is unrivaled by any other city. There are many restrictions the jurisdiction and landlords have, the volume demand places on the equipment, and other challenges that I won't get into, I am surprised service is as good as it is.

Trust me, if you knew how the sausage was made in other markets compared to how it needs made in NYC, you would understand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT