ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Washing machine and dryer

I have found that WHERE you buy your appliance is important...seriously. I live in Westmoreland County and spent a ton on appliances from Lowe's (Latrobe and Greensburg). Trying to deal with them after the fact is a challenge...once the sale is done, it seems you are on your own.

On the other hand, I have found that Cabin Hill Maytag (not just Maytags) is a great place to deal with. They treat you like an appliance customer...because that is all they sell.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I mean I got Samsung. It is great they sing and stuff. But knock on wood, they haven't been an issue yet and it is now 5 years. I did just have to replace my GE refridgerator.

I do recommend Don's over Lowe's by far as far as service is concerned.
Same
I really like my Samsung washer and dryer

I know for a fact Whirlpool products aint what they used to be . Washer is ok but after 3 years the dryer is squeeling like a stuck pig . Quiets after it heats up though ..
Agree, bought this house for a steal off a wealthy couple who completed remolded but moved before they actually lived in it. All appliances, whirlpool/Maytag two years old or less. The whirlpool dishwasher is junk, parts falling of, draws don't work. My wife grew up on a farm and has two college degrees, she can fix it, good thing because I am away working all week, and Sunday afternoon, if i had to mess with it i just might blast it with a 12 gauge.

Agree, bought this house for a steal off a wealthy couple who completed remolded but moved before they actually lived in it. All appliances, whirlpool/Maytag two years old or less. The whirlpool dishwasher is junk, parts falling of, draws don't work. My wife grew up on a farm and has two college degrees, she can fix it, good thing because I am away working all week, and Sunday afternoon, if i had to mess with it i just might blast it with a 12 gauge.
Welp the dryer of mine died . Trying to find replacement parts (Belt , belt tensioner , fuses etc.) It's been a real pain locating parts .

Don’t bother get a new one
It’s cheaper to replace than repair 100%
What? Washers and dryers aren't complicated. Most of the time they can be fixed easily by anyone with a smidgen of mechanical ability.

Unless the motor is burnt up, or an otherwise expensive part, it's not cheaper to replace.

Easier? Yes.

SPEED QUEEN! The rest are junk. Build to last 7 -10 yrs at most. Speed queens are basically commercial washers built to last up to 25 years.

Reactions: rpastir
Had a repair man come to my house yesterday to look at my broken washer, to expensive to fix, his recommendations were: 1) speed queen 2) GE.

What? Washers and dryers aren't complicated. Most of the time they can be fixed easily by anyone with a smidgen of mechanical ability.

Unless the motor is burnt up, or an otherwise expensive part, it's not cheaper to replace.

Easier? Yes.
I fixed my old Kenmore dryer three times for minimal money ($5-$10 parts) - flame sensor, thermal fuse and a thermostat. Got 17 years our of that dryer. Youtube is your friend.

Have a Samsung washer for about 7 years and a Samsung dryer for about 4 years. No issues... knock on wood. I've had good luck with most Samsung products, including TVs and phones.

Easier? Yes.
So you’re gonna spend time and $100-$180 on parts
Instead of buying a new one with a new waranty for $340?
Seems like a total waste of time
Like trying to fix a TV
Ask yourself how much time you are investing - what your time is worth - and then what happens it your repair doesn’t work ?

Like trying to fix a TV
Ask yourself how much time you are investing - what your time is worth - and then what happens it your repair doesn’t work ?
I think your problem is buying $340 washers and dryers.

I spent more than that 23 years ago on my Kenmores. Plus, I fixed the transmission coupler for less than $10, and 30 minutes of my time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112548815469?hash=item1a346ea26d:g:kbUAAOSw8P9bLv3I&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA8KgB1qLfvFZO8Wdt+MopaLl1RbhPVoEVzBt+HBWUhHrypA2HccVGezF9e69dwhzdiRq0AmCCQGiebRMpGn1dP/62cBz3ZQ7JcpVyyqazmTjEYhSGAlx0UcIUiZKjLBa81DFVLdesqoGjRxumrAp0SjCskQXHNuSTEUBRBnObEqwVtDnUH6yxmP0boDBQpRHrgiDyybGpbZqwhxVykJpVE1ah0dw5l7FUuDL/bxwWEUhpfgXL4kX6VFkGuL3f3pbs/ZgJ/27ppKXCwEJ3SkrAsJSjphxNmLa7R+eCMX3AtsHmX4MvNRJ7NyGAU1wLaXnqig==|tkp:BFBMjJ6NzPlg

A dryer belt was less than $10, and took about the same amount of time.

I just bought a GE 4.5 CU. for $598 + charges for haul away etc. Might have saved a little if I could wait but old one was leaking so urgent. Some were less but smaller and lower rated. Just replaces 23 year old Kenmore I have repaired several times which was worth at the time I had it repaired. Cheapest Dent and scratch new that i saw was $498 similar size so to me was worth the extra $100. Some 3. something CU were $398 so there is that. But there are lots of options having just done this Saturday

LGs were highest rated but larger in physical size which would not work for us but more $$$ and was told at several appliance stores they are great but when they need repaired part are hard to get.

Last edited:
Like trying to fix a TV
Yeah, expensive repairs like a control board or new motors are debatable. However, most things that go bad are small inexpensive items like relays, flame sensors, thermostats, etc..

As mentioned, I did 3 repairs on a dryer and all were easy and under $10 parts
I replace a $25 pump on an old washer and got 5 more years out of it.
I replaced a $20 water valve on a $2k+ kitchenaid fridge that was leaking water like 5 years ago.

The problem is when you don't fix it yourself, a $10 part and 30 minute repair is going to cost you $150 - $200.

As far as your time and the value of it... How do you value time sitting on the couch watching TV vs. say doing something productive and learning something?

Yeah, expensive repairs like a control board or new motors are debatable. However, most things that go bad are small inexpensive items like relays, flame sensors, thermostats, etc..

As mentioned, I did 3 repairs on a dryer and all were easy and under $10 parts
I replace a $25 pump on an old washer and got 5 more years out of it.
I replaced a $20 water valve on a $2k+ kitchenaid fridge that was leaking water like 5 years ago.

The problem is when you don't fix it yourself, a $10 part and 30 minute repair is going to cost you $150 - $200.

As far as your time and the value of it... How do you value time sitting on the couch watching TV vs. say doing something productive and learning something?
I value my time all the same
It’s why I’d rather fly somewhere than drive 10 hours
If you like to tinker - good for you .
Me- if an alliance lasts 10+ years I see no value to working to limp it along.

same way I’ll take my car for an oil change to avoid worrying about oil and filter disposal

I value my time all the same
It’s why I’d rather fly somewhere than drive 10 hours
If you like to tinker - good for you .
Me- if an alliance lasts 10+ years I see no value to working to limp it along.

same way I’ll take my car for an oil change to avoid worrying about oil and filter disposal
It's fine if you don't want, or aren't interested in doing it. Value of time is a dubious reason.

I'd rather tinker and learn something than watch a TV series - which I find a waste of time.

Always wipe out the moisture from the front loading washer so mold does not become an issue. While you are at it when you are done with a wash load pull out the detergent and softener tray because water also gets caught up there and when you pull it out the water goes into the drum and out the drain.

Also, if you ever have an issue with a belt or seal, there are so many YouTube videos that will show you how to replace those items at a fraction of the cost of a repair guy.

It's fine if you don't want, or aren't interested in doing it. Value of time is a dubious reason.

I'd rather tinker and learn something than watch a TV series - which I find a waste of time.
What are you actually learning , though ?
Is the skill applied to other parts of your life ?

Washing machine repair definitely is not :)
You make it sound as if it's an arduous task.

Watch a 5 minute video on youtube.

Fix the problem.

Done.

You don't need to go to night school to be able to fix household appliances. That is, if you have the aptitude in the first place.

You make it sound as if it's an arduous task.

Watch a 5 minute video on youtube.

Fix the problem.

Done.

You don't need to go to night school to be able to fix household appliances. That is, if you have the aptitude in the first place.
Youtube and talking to people who know stuff are amazing resources. I have all kinds of projects on the go currently. Doing drywall corners today, and learned how to tail a lamb yesterday. Putting in a well pump for the garden and the sheep later this week. I love doing stuff and learning how to do stuff.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Youtube and talking to people who know stuff are amazing resources. I have all kinds of projects on the go currently. Doing drywall corners today, and learned how to tail a lamb yesterday. Putting in a well pump for the garden and the sheep later this week. I love doing stuff and learning how to do stuff.
I like to know how stuff works. The more things I fixed, the more I realized that most things are not overly complicated. A little “want to” goes a long way.

It’s okay if someone doesn’t want to attempt to fix something, but I’d rather know that the thing I’m replacing really needs to be replaced, instead of being repairable for a nominal fee, and a minimal time investment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT