ADVERTISEMENT

OT-We Seem to be missing...

It would be a sweet, sweet day if the Nutting family private jet would collide with the PSU football coaches' private jet someday.

And that's it, that's that extent of thought I've officially given to the Pirates for 2017. And the only thought I expect to need to give. Same for the next 50 years.

It would be a sweet, sweet day if the Nutting family private jet would collide with the PSU football coaches' private jet someday.

And that's it, that's that extent of thought I've officially given to the Pirates for 2017. And the only thought I expect to need to give. Same for the next 50 years.
thatta boy! Just trying to keep you sharp and on your toes.

Honestly. The chick-golfers-in-hot-outfits thread going on in parallel at the moment has more relevance to mainstream sports than the Pirates. Unless it involves one of their skyblast events or Taylor Dayne post game concerts screwing Pitt out of evening start for a game, as they seem to do annually.

You should really put the Pirates in the thread subject so earnest sports fans wouldn't open it by accident.

I love the pirate haters who feel it necessary to join in any pirate thread to tell us they don't care about the pirates.. it is eerily similar to psu fans coming on here and reminding us that they don't care about us, time and again.. im just feeling bad for Del, poor guy has about 5 anti nutting posts ready to post the second the pirates lose a game. He's been holding on to these, finger on the "post reply" button for almost a week now..

I love the pirate haters who feel it necessary to join in any pirate thread to tell us they don't care about the pirates.. it is eerily similar to psu fans coming on here and reminding us that they don't care about us, time and again.. im just feeling bad for Del, poor guy has about 5 anti nutting posts ready to post the second the pirates lose a game. He's been holding on to these, finger on the "post reply" button for almost a week now..

I just find this whole thing fascinating. Because you and I know the Pirates were absolutely and happily ready to put the "For Sale" sign on their players, and then they go what, 9-2 in their last 11 and are ready to sweep the Brewers. Add that to the fact that with this important series, attendance has been "meh" and ratings down, the Pittsburgh sports fans have given the franchise a true message of "we are tired of your BS", so if they are still 3 games out or better in a week and they sale, that could kill this franchise for a few years. But...as long as there is revenue sharing and the Buccos are at the bottom (so they get some of that revenue) they really don't care.

I just find this whole thing fascinating. Because you and I know the Pirates were absolutely and happily ready to put the "For Sale" sign on their players, and then they go what, 9-2 in their last 11 and are ready to sweep the Brewers. Add that to the fact that with this important series, attendance has been "meh" and ratings down, the Pittsburgh sports fans have given the franchise a true message of "we are tired of your BS", so if they are still 3 games out or better in a week and they sale, that could kill this franchise for a few years. But...as long as there is revenue sharing and the Buccos are at the bottom (so they get some of that revenue) they really don't care.
that's what I'm talking about!!. 5-1 since the break and 10 out of the last 12 and taking three straight from the division leaders on a string of exciting comebacks negativity....welcome back!.... Just wondering, what message are Pittsburgh sports fans sending to the University of Pittsburgh football program for the last 60 years?.

Reactions: Swervin27
Pitt fans have kind of been sending a message. The admin continues to shoot itself in the foot. I think more Pitt fans will develop and come out if they can ever get their act together.

Pirates proved that if they want people to come, they have to put out a good product. They had there chances to keep the fans engaged, but then they pull off something like last year, which was to use prospects to dump salary (Liriano), instead of using them to get somebody. Things could get worse if they don't spend money. Ratings are down and their TV contract is up for renewal soon.

Nutting always has an excuse...fans did their part during the Pirates previous runs and set attendance records. Payroll did not increase. Then Nutting was complaining about their TV contract. but you have to spend money to make money. He doesn't reinvest in the team. If their next TV contract sucks...look for more crappy teams.

All the fans are saying is "Hey Nutting, Spend some of the money you are making from us". Winning 10 out of 12 doesn't change the fact that Nutting is a cheap bastard and the fans are tired of it. Could actually be good for Pitt if ex Pirate non Steeler fans want a new team to root for.

that's what I'm talking about!!. 5-1 since the break and 10 out of the last 12 and taking three straight from the division leaders on a string of exciting comebacks negativity....welcome back!.... Just wondering, what message are Pittsburgh sports fans sending to the University of Pittsburgh football program for the last 60 years?.
Is your rambling meant to equate the incompetence and/or cheapness and/or ANTI-fan, ANTI-winning objectives of Pitt and Nutting? That's pretty well been established over the many many many years. By their constant hideous decisions.

If the question is why am I not a Pirates zealot if I am a Pitt follower, its a fair question. Honestly only a fool would follow either with any kind of faith or passion. I only do so with Pitt because my degrees have the school name on it and I got pleasure from Pitt sports as a student (particularly the tail end of the 70s80s glory years, when we were fleetingly but still relevant). That was exciting and I'd like future students to gain the same in the spirit of Pitt "brotherhood", blah blah. But more selfishly, society outrageously and preposterously but absolutely affixes some measure of quality of the school and its grads to how well its stupid sports teams perform (for the ones that are engaged in them at the level we are). So its in my and my friends' better interests, no matter how minor the impact, that Pitt doesn't embarrass itself in sports as it so often does. Carpetbaggers in the administration don't have to care about it (and totally don't) but I ain't getting a degree from UNC or Duke or Ohio State anytime soon (all considered better schools than Pitt at least partially due to good will obtained from winning in sports), so I have interest.

In the Pirates? None. Haven't been to a game since 2001 and only then due to freebies and wanted to see the (then) new stadium.

Is your rambling meant to equate the incompetence and/or cheapness and/or ANTI-fan, ANTI-winning objectives of Pitt and Nutting? That's pretty well been established over the many many many years. By their constant hideous decisions.

If the question is why am I not a Pirates zealot if I am a Pitt follower, its a fair question. Honestly only a fool would follow either with any kind of faith or passion. I only do so with Pitt because my degrees have the school name on it and I got pleasure from Pitt sports as a student (particularly the tail end of the 70s80s glory years, when we were fleetingly but still relevant). That was exciting and I'd like future students to gain the same in the spirit of Pitt "brotherhood", blah blah. But more selfishly, society outrageously and preposterously but absolutely affixes some measure of quality of the school and its grads to how well its stupid sports teams perform (for the ones that are engaged in them at the level we are). So its in my and my friends' better interests, no matter how minor the impact, that Pitt doesn't embarrass itself in sports as it so often does. Carpetbaggers in the administration don't have to care about it (and totally don't) but I ain't getting a degree from UNC or Duke or Ohio State anytime soon (all considered better schools than Pitt at least partially due to good will obtained from winning in sports), so I have interest.

In the Pirates? None. Haven't been to a game since 2001 and only then due to freebies and wanted to see the (then) new stadium.

my rambling? hahahaha! You, good sir, could be the next Oswald Bates in that realm..

What am I missing? They're still under 0.500 after playing red hot for the last week or so.
keep em coming! Oddball from Kelly's Heroes had a term for it I think. Wining streaks and end of game walkoffs and again with the negative waves...

I don't generally participate in the Pirate hype. I just know that if Pitt goes 6-7, it's a disaster. Somehow the Pirates are 47-48 but those are just numbers.
Totally bereft of even a semblance of legitimate contention for 23 of 25 years ... And regularly the bottom 2 or 3 payrolls ... are also numbers. They kinda mean more.

Totally bereft of even a semblance of legitimate contention for 23 of 25 years ... And regularly the bottom 2 or 3 payrolls ... are also numbers. They kinda mean more.
or playoff team three out of the last four years . Gee, I can play with numbers too. Point is that you guys really are not that big of Pirate fans but do seem to take great pleasure in putting them down (even in the middle of their hottest streak all year). I get it. If Pitt won 10 out of their last 12 you would not be whining about the last twenty-five years...As for myself, a Pirate fan, I chose to enjoy the last week as it was fun.

Last edited:
First off... message boards are all about this right?? Bragging and chest-thumpin at the peaks and lamenting at the valleys?

Secondly, wishing plane crashes on someone that isnt actually doing something that they should die for is horrible.

Third, this little run our buccos are on, is nice, I am a huge Pirate fan. But being an agnostic pessimistic on baseball gods (doubt the existence, but fairly sure something is out there working against us), and looking at our staff, bench, and questionable fielding lead me to say... we really dont have a prayer outside of getting extremely lucky. Having Marte back is like trading for a star player, and I can see us MMMAAAAYYYBBBEEEE getting a starting pitcher better than Williams to throw out there is a real possibility. But, I cant see trading all of our minor leaguers for some decent fill-in guys. I hope we dont, especially at the weird trade prices going on now-a-days. I was rather hoping to get a big haul of prospects for Cutch or Cole (who frankly doesnt look like he wants to pitch in Pittsburgh until last game). On the other hand I didnt want us to clear our team either and trade Harrison, every reliever, or whoever else we seemed fit to send off. I would still try to move:

Nicasio - Strong arm, but we have beaten the piss out of him by pitching nearly every game. I can see him declining end of year, so move him now.

Watson - Same as above, but for previous years. His stats look better as of late, so perhaps we can get something good for him

Cutch - I still say trade him, I cant see us paying him the money he thinks he will be worth at his age, and his game is deteriorating. I think we need to get something of value for him.

Freese - Love the guy, and he is a big time playoff chip. Plays well in playoffs, and some team will want that bat. Plus I think next year we get the Korean alcoholic back, so I doubt we sign him next year.

Reactions: JokePa
or playoff team three out of the last four years . Gee, I can play with numbers too. Point is that you guys really are not that big of Pirate fans but do seem to take great pleasure in putting them down (even in the middle of their hottest streak all year). I get it. If Pitt won 10 out of their last 12 you would not be whining about the last twenty-five years...As for myself, a Pirate fan, I chose to enjoy the last week as it was fun.
I was a huge Pirates fan all my life before i was a fan of anything else. Their past ownerships were certainly challenged, especially once unfettered free agency emerged, but they almost heroically tried to maintain competitive teams at least in my early lifetime. Late 70s were tenuous but they regularly competed. The 80s were basically disasters, but more due to dumb acquisitions ... Jogging George, Steve Kemp at all ... rather than stinginess. Then a nice stretch in the late 80s early 90s. They didn't win it all but they gave it legit shots.

But once the Nuttings came along (first as puppeteers to McClatchy and then outright), all semblance of competing ended.

That's why I'm detached now ... I won't give a dime to a rigged entity. They have zero objective to win. It doesn't mean I'll only follow em if they win ... But they gotta TRY.

If i come off a little bitter it's residual of that regret.

I was a huge Pirates fan all my life before i was a fan of anything else. Their past ownerships were certainly challenged, especially once unfettered free agency emerged, but they almost heroically tried to maintain competitive teams at least in my early lifetime. Late 70s were tenuous but they regularly competed. The 80s were basically disasters, but more due to dumb acquisitions ... Jogging George, Steve Kemp at all ... rather than stinginess. Then a nice stretch in the late 80s early 90s. They didn't win it all but they gave it legit shots.

But once the Nuttings came along (first as puppeteers to McClatchy and then outright), all semblance of competing ended.

That's why I'm detached now ... I won't give a dime to a rigged entity. They have zero objective to win. It doesn't mean I'll only follow em if they win ... But they gotta TRY.

If i come off a little bitter it's residual of that regret.

and yet here you are with 6 posts about them. Some detachment...4-2 Buccos win and there was noooooooooooooooooooooooo doubt about it!

Reactions: JokePa
and yet here you are with 6 posts about them. Some detachment...4-2 Buccos win and there was noooooooooooooooooooooooo doubt about it!

Really, Pitt guys that are Pirate fans are weird. You go looking for fights with guys that won't jump on the bandwagon, support a very mediocre Pirates franchise and their bush league management with cult-like zealotry, but will bash Pitt for much, much less.

Reactions: Springfield Panther
Really, Pitt guys that are Pirate fans are weird. You go looking for fights with guys that won't jump on the bandwagon, support a very mediocre Pirates franchise and their bush league management with cult-like zealotry, but will bash Pitt for much, much less.
Nothing of the sort...I started this post by wondering where the weekly Pirate bashers were...and alas here they are...seems to me if you are a basher and the team you bash is over performing and on a tear (apparent enjoyment in such makes you a cult like zealot..hahhaha), you just shut the hell up lest you look a tad silly.. but hey, that is just me...don't worry, plenty of Pirate bad stretches left for you to come back.

Nothing of the sort...I started this post by wondering where the weekly Pirate bashers were...and alas here they are...seems to me if you are a basher and the team you bash is over performing and on a tear (apparent enjoyment in such makes you a cult like zealot..hahhaha), you just shut the hell up lest you look a tad silly.. but hey, that is just me...don't worry, plenty of Pirate bad stretches left for you to come back.

Ummm...okay.

I don't generally participate in the Pirate hype. I just know that if Pitt goes 6-7, it's a disaster. Somehow the Pirates are 47-48 but those are just numbers.
I also know that if Pitt wins at a 0.615 clip they are a mediocre 8-5 with a victory in the Taxslayer/Meineke/Bluebonnet Classic...if the Pirates win at a .615 clip they won 100 games and are odds on favorites to win the world series.... different games, different numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT