ADVERTISEMENT

OT: weed-eater advice

I do still have a gas backpack blower.
I’ve got two yards to blow out, mature oaks (75 years) and maples bordering 2 sides, 2 more 75 year old oaks on the property and ridiculous amounts of leaves to remove every year. I went with an EGO Power+ LB6504 650 CFM Variable-Speed 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Leaf Blower 5.0Ah Battery and bought a second 5.0Ah backup battery.

This thing does a great job moving heavy oak leaves and branch ends. The variable speed thing is great, and it has a “turbo boost” thumb button which enables me to move even the most stubborn branch or advance 3 foot tall piles of leaves. Love it.

Reactions: USN_Panther
This thing does a great job moving heavy oak leaves and branch ends. The variable speed thing is great, and it has a “turbo boost” thumb button which enables me to move even the most stubborn branch or advance 3 foot tall piles of leaves. Love it.

The neighbor whose yard you are blowing all that stuff into, not so much.

;)

The neighbor whose yard you are blowing all that stuff into, not so much.

;)
Funny you should say that. My lots are on a WSW facing slope. The prevailing wind would actually clear my lots by mid winter and blow everything into my neighbors across the street if I didn’t bag em. Unfortunately for me, I like my neighbors and have a pretty low “prick neighbor” quotient.

But - I always loved November since I was a kid running around semi-rural Gill Hall in the early 60’s. Now? I hate those f-ing leaves.

Speaking of.........is the grass (and weeds) like supercharged this year? It has been warm, but not overly hot. No real cold nights. And lots of rain. My grass is ridiculous. Hell, I try to clean up after my dogs and I can't even find it in the US Open like rough.

Batteries are annoying when they run out of power before the job is finished, even with a spare.

I would get a gas one.
Batteries are annoying when they run out of power before the job is finished, even with a spare.

I would get a gas one.
I have Ryobi. Battery is the way to go. If you’re organized and always have a backup charged, it’s great. I have three batteries and have no issue. My mower and leaf blower work off the same battery and when my weed eater goes I’m getting a Ryobi trimmer.

My advice to anyone who will listen is read consumer reports first and then make a decision on brand. Because once you go with a brand, you’re pretty much stuck with it forever because the batteries are all compatible. And I just had to buy a new mower last week because my first Ryobi died after 3 years. I’m not happy about that but I stuck with the same brand because of the batteries.

I have Ryobi. Battery is the way to go. If you’re organized and always have a backup charged, it’s great. I have three batteries and have no issue. My mower and leaf blower work off the same battery and when my weed eater goes I’m getting a Ryobi trimmer.

My advice to anyone who will listen is read consumer reports first and then make a decision on brand. Because once you go with a brand, you’re pretty much stuck with it forever because the batteries are all compatible. And I just had to buy a new mower last week because my first Ryobi died after 3 years. I’m not happy about that but I stuck with the same brand because of the batteries.
I have a lawn service. Not because I am lazy (I am) but because traveling alot,at this time of year especially, if days I can get to grass but it is raining, I am screwed. So I bit the bullet and have a lawn service. But my hedge clippers and drills, I mean the battery is so much better. Weedeater is next. They are such a pain in the ass. I have a gas snowblower, I haven't fired it up in over 2 years god bless you Climate Change.

Did you just copy my exact same advice from last year? :D

Echo SRM - 225. Buy the canned 50:1 gas and the carb will never gunk up. Line changes are super easy. Head changes easy as well. Had mine for 8 years with no problems.

Did you just copy my exact same advice from last year? :D
Ha! I don’t know. But I almost can’t wait until my trimmer dies so I can just go and buy a rechargeable. Fooling around with the 50:1 gas mix and storing gas and buying gas has become a pain in the ass. So nice not having to do it with a mower any more and soon enough with the trimmer too I hope.

I ran into a deal couple of months ago on an EGO self propelled 56v battery mower. My Toro “personal pace” just didn’t like the hills and I wanted something that would pull strongly. So I started looking and when I realized the EGO mower used the same 56v batteries I had for my EGO blower, and Lowe’s was offering the mower I wanted for $599 (list $699), I went to look at it. Whilst perusing and cogitating at Lowe’s in the mower isle, a helpful employee told me that the EGO also came with a free second battery (5.0ah). $199 value. 👍

So I bought the mower and now I almost look forward to mowing. Super lightweight, variable speed self propel, rear bagger, 5 second conversion to mulch or side discharge, single lever 4 wheel height adjustment, and climbs all my hills with zero push from me. I literally just walk behind it or beside it. The original 7.5ah battery is enough for me to cut both my lots (front and sides). That’s about 50-60 minutes of mowing. So I haven’t even needed the other “free” battery.

Best mower I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT